Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another Western Road protest this Saturday 18th Dec

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
OK, a few people were whining on here after the anti-Top Shop protest on Dec 4th that they didn't know it was talking place (despite it being all over the interweb) and it inconvenienced them terribly. With that in mind, and so the board doesn't have to put up with such whining a second time, please note: The people who organised it are doing it again this Saturday (Dec 18th). Again, it's a national day of action with protests in more than 40 towns and cities across the countries (so they're not just picking on Brighton, like some claimed). The Brighton one is due to start at noon at the Clock Tower as before, and the targets will most likely be the usual ones; Top Shop, Vodaphone, BHS, etc. So avoid the Western Road area that lunchtime/early afternoon if you get upset by people chanting in the street and all that.

Cue a swathe of Falmer Swan NIMBY style responses along the lines of "but I've GOT to go into town that day to do my Christmas shopping, why don't they do it on a day when it doesn't affect ME." The whole point of these demos as I understand it is to (a) raise public awareness that the taxes avoided by big companies would cover all the money being 'saved' by the austerity measures, and (b) to hit the capitalists in the pockets (the only language they understand) by trying to shut them down on one of the busiest shopping days before Christmas. Holding the demo on a wet Tuesday morning in February, when the shops are deserted, would - quite frankly - be pointless. If you don't like it, why not stage your own counter-demo in favour of tax dodging multinationals?

I should add I'm nothing to do with this demo, and am too fat and lazy to go on protests like this myself, but just spotted it on the web and thought I'd inform people it was happening so they could (if need be) plan accordingly. Don't shoot the messenger. Ta x

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
That'll cause chaos! Should be a lot more people on a saturday, it's not just students that care about this.

Dandyman

In London village.
I think we've got the message now. Still, carry on and waste the precious little public finance we have left.

Be good if Philip Green and the rest of the tax dodgers got the message as well then, would n't it ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Be good if Philip Green and the rest of the tax dodgers got the message as well then, would n't it ?

True, but I firmly believe that the tax avoiders will not be afraid of the protests against their shops/businesses. Everyone avoids tax to some extent.

Thankfully some people are far more decent than others.

BBC News - Toby Ord: Why Im giving £1m to charity

Reminds me of the parable of the rich man that gave more than the poor old lady, but her gift was greater.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I should add I'm nothing to do with this demo, and am too fat and lazy to go on protests like this myself, but just spotted it on the web and thought I'd inform people it was happening so they could (if need be) plan accordingly. Don't shoot the messenger. Ta x

hahaha that is properly snide.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
oh will they just f*** OFF :angry:

France is the country for strikes and protests, bugger off to Top Shop in Paris you hippie bastards!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Stroppy students verses Christmas Shoppers, smack down !

Dandyman

In London village.
oh will they just f*** OFF :angry:

France is the country for strikes and protests, bugger off to Top Shop in Paris you hippie bastards!

Out of interests have you ever worked as a male prostitute ? You seem to like rich people f*cking you.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hope none of these protesters ever avoid paying tax themselves..as if. Or is it that it's acceptable if it's you but not if it's a multi national company?

If you just claim and don't pay taxes at all that throws a different light on it

Dandyman

In London village.
True, but I firmly believe that the tax avoiders will not be afraid of the protests against their shops/businesses. Everyone avoids tax to some extent.

Thankfully some people are far more decent than others.

BBC News - Toby Ord: Why Im giving £1m to charity

Reminds me of the parable of the rich man that gave more than the poor old lady, but her gift was greater.

Some truth in that but how do you make this an political issue (and we are talking about large sums of money alongside social cohesion and the type of country we want to live in) without some form of public protest ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
(a) raise public awareness that the taxes avoided by big companies would cover all the money being 'saved' by the austerity measures
But it wouldn't but I guess facts shouldn't prevent a good old demo.

Or maybe even the government closing the LEGAL loopholes. Have you even been abroad and brought goods that are taxed less there than here and brought them back ? If so then you're a big fat hypocrite.

Dandyman

In London village.
I hope none of these protesters ever avoid paying tax themselves..as if. Or is it that it's acceptable if it's you but not if it's a multi national company?

If you just claim and don't pay taxes at all that throws a different light on it

I've been paying tax and NI since I had my first part-time job in 1979 and I've never avoided or wanted to avoid paying for the public services we all expect in this country. I'll be a wedding on Saturday but the protestors have my best wishes.

Dandyman

In London village.
But it wouldn't but I guess facts shouldn't prevent a good old demo.

Or maybe even the government closing the LEGAL loopholes. Have you even been abroad and brought goods that are taxed less there than here and brought them back ? If so then you're a big fat hypocrite.

Totally agree that the Government (both the last one and the present one) should avoid situations where there is one law for the mega rich and another for the rest of us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here