Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another quality Mourinho flounce

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Is he right to get all hot under the collar about the widespread criticism of Lampard?

Basically Lampard had it coming this season, he had a stinker at the World Cup and a lot of people felt very let down.

And as we know on this board, that kind of 'disappointment' can bring it's own, special brand of vitriol.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
He's right - the media always need a target, and at the moment it's Lampard. It always becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, in that the player loses confidence in himself, his team-mates lose confidence, and the media are proved right. He's not having a shining season at the moment, but he's a good enough player to come out of this the other side.

The media will find someone else to have a dig at, Mourinho needs to make sure that Lampard doesn't get destroyed by some fat, lardarse journo that last saw his toes fifteen years ago and couldn't run 50 yards unless he was being encouraged with a bottle of whisky.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What?! What about this whole "golden generation" thing? Don't tell me that the emperor's wearing no clothes?!

As for Jose Maurinho, one day the man is going to disappear up his own backside. On pay per view.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Lampard did not help himself by having a £95,000 bet with John Terry that he would score during the World Cup. Consequently he was shooting every time he was in the opposition third and overly anxious to hit the onion bag.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
The friggin press rule the world.... Bunch of story hunters....

football, politics you name it they'll create a story they deem "newsworthy" and pat themselves on the back when they are proven right...

Leave Lampard alone - bad patch, good patch - he's not God!!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm sure the same awful press Fat Frank's boohooing about won't seem quite so bad when he's got some awful self-serving ghost-written book to serialise.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
"Boo hoo. We chose a career where we only earn millions of pounds to be in the media spotlight and it's upsetting when we get criticised for underperforming".

f***

RIGHT

OFF!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've got absolutely no sympathy for Lampard. If we had some better, more objective sports coverage rather than the sycophantic PR-led circus that passes for reporting much of the time he would have been more used to proper criticism.

Instead, a quite good player arrives at the World Cup wrongly thinking he is a demi-god, with the results we all saw.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Tooting Gull said:
Instead, a quite good player arrives at the World Cup wrongly thinking he is a demi-god, with the results we all saw.
Agree entirely. But what can anyone (Maclaren I guess) do to change that mindset?

I honestly don't think England have much of a chance of achieving anything until it changes. The players need to adopt a more modest approach, derived from an earth-shattering revelation to them that players abroad aren't actually that bad just because they don't get paid as much.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
To be honest I'm f***ing sick of these nobbers who don't live in the real world. Reading extracts from Cashley Cole's autobiography, what a ****. 'The club showed me no respect, I asked for £60,000 and they didn't give it to me right away, boo hoo' I don't even earn that in 4 years. All ****s as far as I'm concerned, none of them live in the real world and the Prem can f*** off. Rant over:D

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
tedebear said:
Again I blame the press...

Have to agree, at least in part. But I think a great player who truly believes in himself and has the quality to back it up doesn't get too low about a couple of bad reviews, and doesn't get too excited after some good ones. What they really get off on is playing well, meeting some level of performance week in and week out for club and country.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If I was in football professionally, I can honestly say that I'd do my best to avoid reading the football pages. The marks out of ten often seem to be made up, and I reckon a good number of the hacks haven't played the game recreationally for over a decade themselves - and I do think you need to have some experience playing the game to be able to give any sort of balanced opinion.

Albion Rob

The PR side of things is ridiculous and really just preys on the weakness of some of the sports writers and the thickness of some of thier readers.

When was the last time an interview with a top footballer actually revealed anything interesting? Who on earth reads the rubbish they have to say? "So, Frank, disappointing World Cup then?" "Yeth, obviousthly I was dithappointed but I need to come back sthronger thith stheasthon and show everone waht I can do."

Not exactly a cutting answer, is it?

The best questions you ever see are the ones from the public becuase they actually ask what people want to know, not an agreed list supplied by a PR firm (although to be fair I bet a number of readers' questions are edited or dropped).

It's not the reporters' fault per se becuase they need to have access to the players otherwise the editor will wonder what on earth's going on and be shit scared that people won't buy the paper becuase they won't be able to find out how much Ashley Cole is enjoying life at Chelsea. "Are you enjoying it Ashley?" "Yeah, well, obviously it's good to play alongside world class players and be in with a great chance of winning things year in year out." Thanks Ash, very insightful

As a public we're getting what we deserve - it's like the exam results debate a month ago - we'll basically just consume anything we're given, allow the media to totally set the agenda and then let our opinions be formed by a relatively small cartel of journalists

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here