Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another player puts the boot into knight

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I found the most intriguing part of the Argus article was this:

"Hammond views events rather differently. He wanted Albion to secure his future much sooner after passing an appearance-related clause which guaranteed him a new deal midway through last season.

He said: "I was owed a contract halfway through last season and no negotiations were taken up with me. I was told to wait until the end of the season.

"I was speaking to the gaffer (Dean Wilkins) regularly but maybe that didn't involve the chairman.

"If the chairman says negotiations were going on regularly then it may have been with the gaffer, because I spoke to him a lot, but maybe not the chairman."

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Over use of the word 'maybe' suggests that he doesn't have a clue, and that it's his agent that has driven this move.

Whatever, he's gone now, and he was never that special anyway.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Hammond was by far the WORST long term captain of the Albion in the last 10 years.

The bloke has zero leadership qualities.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Hammond was by far the WORST long term captain of the Albion in the last 10 years.

The bloke has zero leadership qualities.

Very true. The armband seemed to make him more anonymous!!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hammond can, quite frankly, go f*** himself.
There are some good posts on this thread but that sums it up quite nicely.

I'm pleased that most fans (there are a few exceptions) can see through all the player and agent bullshit.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm pleased that most fans (there are a few exceptions) can see through all the player and agent bullshit.
Very true. It's a bit of shame that the local paper still can't, or at least chooses not to, but I guess by now people have learnt to factor in that particular bias as well.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think it's pretty obvious that this is mainly about money. Hammond says he wants to play in the championship but if that is the case then Colchester is a poor choice of destination. He's gone there because they will pay him more money AND give him a bit of a shop window in the Championship.

The fact he's left clearly indicates that he doesn't think the Albion have much of a chance of going up this season via the play-offs. Hopefully the new captain will use this as a rallying cry to motivate those that are left.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Hammond can, quite frankly, go f*** himself.

not a truer word this from someone who wanted championship football and went to Colchester for a miserly 250k he most obviously DID NOT want to play football for the Albion so the money was handy to buy someone who did want to play for the Albion.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
It's just the same story though... and it would appear it's all down to money.

There's nothing else to suggest it isn't.

Correct.

There are as yet undiscovered tribesman deep with the amazon jungle who, if presented with the argus report would simply reply ' ... many grabbing bastard ...'

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I found the most intriguing part of the Argus article was this:

"Hammond views events rather differently. He wanted Albion to secure his future much sooner after passing an appearance-related clause which guaranteed him a new deal midway through last season.

He said: "I was owed a contract halfway through last season and no negotiations were taken up with me. I was told to wait until the end of the season.

"I was speaking to the gaffer (Dean Wilkins) regularly but maybe that didn't involve the chairman.

"If the chairman says negotiations were going on regularly then it may have been with the gaffer, because I spoke to him a lot, but maybe not the chairman."

There's more speculation in that quote from Hammond than in most of the posts on NSC!

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
So Hammond made his decision to leave over Xmas did he ? If he was so happy at the beginning of the season, why didn't he sign his contract ? The words gullible and naive don't begin to sum up some of the posters on here :rolleyes:

Maybe the offer was so crap only a fool would have signed it.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Oh, bigmouth, oh ... bigmouth, la ...
Bigmouth strikes again
I've got no right to take my place
In the human race

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
With the benefit of hindsight - actually not much, it felt like that on the day - was the drubbing at Millwall the worst result ever? Catastrophic display, hinting at all the off-field nonsense that has been pouring out ever since.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
To be expected, players covering their own backs to avoid any criticism.

Of course he could have just said "I've enjoyed my time at the Albion immensely and love the club and fans. I thought it was time to move on and would like to thank everyone involved with the club for all their support."

Something like that maybe?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Did Hammonds performances warrant him being club captain?
Did Hammond use his position as club captain do motivate players on the field of play?
Did Hammond appear to command respect?
Did Hammond back up his claim about ambition for the club by moving to an ambitious club?

The answer to all these questions is NO. There have been many times this season when I have thought that Hammond should have been substituted as his performances where rubbish but he has stayed on because of the armband he was wearing. So to see him go for £250,000 is a blessing IMHO given we would have got diddly squat for him in the summer. He will no doubt be playing League One football next season if he stays with Colchester, though I doubt his over inflated ego will allow him to.

Correct. Hammond is a wank, sitirring more shit up at the club, I will be relived when this season is over and we can start fresh with a few new midfielders.

One thing that also jumps out at me with these player outbursts is, what is Wilkins' role in this? He should be stoping this not only for his benefit, but for the teams benefit - It is only making things worse. His behind the scenes management is an area of concern for me, this sort of thing virtually never happened with previous managers in such a manner that surrounded the club with question marks and a rather negative feeling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here