Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another nutter writes to the Argus

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What 'promotion' is she talking about?

She sounds like a mate of Angie Rowlands.

Letter: I don't want my tax to help promote stadium

Lewes residents may be worried about how much tax the district council is spending to oppose the proposed stadium at Falmer but I am concerned at how much council tax Brighton and Hove City Council has spent promoting it.

I have been opposing this outrageous development, in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, for the past six years and wonder if my money has been spent on it.

I feel like withholding my next instalment of council tax and sending a donation to Lewes District Council (LDC) instead.

As well as the council, there are three local MPs but their views don't coincide with mine and I didn't vote for them.

A stadium at Falmer is relevant to LDC and it is a local issue, not a national one.

Instead of telling Lewes councillors to "keep their noses out of Brighton and Hove's business" (as Des Turner suggested in The Argus, December 1), I suggest those MPs whose constituencies aren't affected by the stadium shouldn't be consulted. It is none of their business and their views are irrelevant.

I also feel like withholding the part of my tax which goes to paying MPs' salaries and sending it instead to Norman Baker, the Lib Dem MP for Lewes, who has always opposed the stadium.

The Argus, which is the only daily newspaper in the area, is completely and utterly biased.

It shouldn't take sides but should remain neutral. Surely there are other, much more worthwhile, causes which it could support. It should report the news, not try to influence it.

Next year, I hope LDC will win and prevent a stadium ruining the pretty little village of Falmer.

I also hope the three MPs for Brighton and Hove will be replaced by Green Party representatives who care about the environment.

And I hope The Argus finds a worthier and less controversial cause to campaign for.

Being the season of peace and goodwill, above all, I hope the bitterness and hatred which have dominated this issue are replaced with understanding and consideration.

-Helen Mason, Brighton

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
"Being the season of peace and goodwill, above all, I hope the bitterness and hatred which have dominated this issue are replaced with understanding and consideration."

Amen to that!

now shut up and go away!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Dear Helen,

f*** off and Die.

80's

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
Gwylan said:

Next year, I hope LDC will win and prevent a stadium ruining the pretty little village of Falmer.

Another f...ing person who clearly hasn't been to Falmer. "Ahh, it's so sweet, it's got a pretty little duck pond"

Yeah, and a god-damn dual carriageway and a railway line right through the middle of it.

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
Gwylan said:
The Argus, which is the only daily newspaper in the area, is completely and utterly biased.

It shouldn't take sides but should remain neutral. Surely there are other, much more worthwhile, causes which it could support.

Helen love the sunshine bus will be picking you up soon.

Just to clarify you want the Argus to remain totally neutral while supporting more worthwhile causes :thumbsup:

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
These people do annoy me but they do have the right to have their say, but I know at the end of all this WE WILL have our stadium at Falmer, then these sort of people can fcuk off.

END OF RANT :angry: :angry:

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Re: Re: Another nutter writes to the Argus

Redhead said:
Helen love the sunshine bus will be picking you up soon.

Just to clarify you want the Argus to remain totally neutral while supporting more worthwhile causes :thumbsup:

Agreed, the Argus is supportinmg the campaign for the Stadium because they know what benefits it is going to give to the city.

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Re: Re: Another nutter writes to the Argus

bailey said:
Another f...ing person who clearly hasn't been to Falmer. "Ahh, it's so sweet, it's got a pretty little duck pond"

Yeah, and a god-damn dual carriageway and a railway line right through the middle of it.

yeah but you know that people like this Helen have been living on MARS for the last 7 years.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
That's a belter of a letter.

Everyone agree with Helen and we can all get along with each other, right?

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Gwylan said:

Helen wrote

"I also hope the three MPs for Brighton and Hove will be replaced by Green Party representatives who care about the environment"

Yeah, Green Party MP's that care about the environment, but nothing else.

Cruel back to your little hole Helen

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
She hopes that next year 3 Green Party MP's will be elected?

Bloody hell, these general elections come round quick don't they?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What IS so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
It takes a masterful command of irony but, rather than trying to bang the facts into these people's empty heads I'd really like to be able to launch a subtly different sort of counter offensive. The sort that appears on the surface to drip honeyed praise their words of "wisdom" but actually demolishes their case and identifies them as as the clueless NIMBYs we know they are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here