Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another new camera

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Just about to go pick up the second new camera in 2 months which completes the change in my equipment from analogue/digi to all digi, over £3000 worth of investment, not done for football reasons but the other photo stuff I do. Shooting 2 digi cameras (EOS 20D and an EOS 300D hacked so it works like a 10D) will mean I miss less due to changing lenses on the digi's as I can keep 1 for long lens 1 for short lens work.

Like a talisman the 512 80x CF card turned up in the post this morning (ordered for the new 20D I pick-up today before I knew there was stock in store, very short of stock in the UK been waiting ages) but just after I opened the packet for the card Jessops phoned and said we have stock when can you collect, how about today i replied.

All this + 3 new lenses plenty of new batteries, loads of storage space, laptop, bluetooth and a 6310i and I am set-up to go....... All I need now is to be able to get into a game and all will be well!

Might have to go shoot some local non-league for a short while get me independent licence back.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
tim - don't suppose you could tell us if it's normal for digital cameras to gobble up batteries like they're going out of fashion. I got a shiny new digital (Pentax OPtion43WR) and the batteries seem to have a life span of about half an hour. Am I doing something wrong? Was hoping to take the camera along to the march & fund-raiser on Monday, but looks like I'll need to lug along half a nundredweight of batteries also. Any ideas? Cheers

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Last night I bought some olives. I bought them from the Sainsbury in Clifton in Bristol. They were black, possibly kalamata, and had been marinated in lemon and thyme. As ever, they were divine. I spent £1.69 for this small pot of olives but they were worth every penny. And more besides.

I wouldn't take them to a game with me. I imagine the stones could be construed as some sort of weapon.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Bozza said:
Last night I bought some olives. I bought them from the Sainsbury in Clifton in Bristol. They were black, possibly kalamata, and had been marinated in lemon and thyme. As ever, they were divine. I spent £1.69 for this small pot of olives but they were worth every penny. And more besides.

I wouldn't take them to a game with me. I imagine the stones could be construed as some sort of weapon.

Ah but if you knew what we did with those in the warehouse you might not be quite so pleased with them.

timco
time served fully fledged Sainsbury's Warehouse Colleague at the order fulfilment factory!

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
Tom Hark said:
tim - don't suppose you could tell us if it's normal for digital cameras to gobble up batteries like they're going out of fashion. I got a shiny new digital (Pentax OPtion43WR) and the batteries seem to have a life span of about half an hour. Am I doing something wrong? Was hoping to take the camera along to the march & fund-raiser on Monday, but looks like I'll need to lug along half a nundredweight of batteries also. Any ideas? Cheers

My Digi Cmaera came with rechargable batteries and they last ages. I have not had any problems with mine

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
My wife once gave me a lucky stone to take to a game with me. (It's a long story.)

It was only as I saw the people in front of being searched that I realised that a "lucky stone" might be hard to explain.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I can remember when citrus fruit was banned from Scottish football grounds. Nothing to do with aforesaid fruit being adjudged to be potential weapons. More to do with 'football enthusiasts' getting round the alcohol ban by injecting them with vodka. :lol:

Last edited:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Tom Hark said:

Depends on the batteries, the camera settings and the useage.

My cameras use camcorder style rechargeables good enough for about 300 frames @iso 100, if I use flash this is cut to about 100 @ iso 100 if I up the iso it is cut by about 5% between the top (3200) and the bottom (100).

Never use standard chuck 'em away batteries as these still have useful charge in them long after they have become useless in a digi. Always use recargables, they will give more shots before they need a recharge and, they only cost you the once to buy.

so if you are using the camera with flash, on standard batteries, yes they will go through a truck load in an hour or so. Remeber everything about digital needs power, no such thing as manual.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
timco said:
Depends on the batteries, the camera settings and the useage.

My cameras use camcorder style rechargeables good enough for about 300 frames @iso 100, if I use flash this is cut to about 100 @ iso 100 if I up the iso it is cut by about 5% between the top (3200) and the bottom (100).

Never use standard chuck 'em away batteries as these still have useful charge in them long after they have become useless in a digi. Always use recargables, they will give more shots before they need a recharge and, they only cost you the once to buy.

so if you are using the camera with flash, on standard batteries, yes they will go through a truck load in an hour or so. Remeber everything about digital needs power, no such thing as manual.

Cheers for that timco (and CAFC Matt)

Having now investigated the big giant box that my tiny wee camera came in, there do indeed appear to be multiple batteries of the rechargeable sort sealed in plastic with the battery charger device. Now have no excuse for not posting on here Monday night :thumbsup:

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
Tom Hark said:
Cheers for that timco (and CAFC Matt)

Having now investigated the big giant box that my tiny wee camera came in, there do indeed appear to be multiple batteries of the rechargeable sort sealed in plastic with the battery charger device. Now have no excuse for not posting on here Monday night :thumbsup:

I was going to say actually how comes you didn't get rechargeable ones as most new things come with em

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
timco said:

thats not very good!! i get loads more than that out of mine!!

good work on getting a 20D too... played around with one and pretty impressed at the noise/low light AF improvement over the 10d. imagine its pretty shit hot for sports photography too...

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Raphael Meade said:
thats not very good!! i get loads more than that out of mine!!

good work on getting a 20D too... played around with one and pretty impressed at the noise/low light AF improvement over the 10d. imagine its pretty shit hot for sports photography too...

Maybe I should clarify, good for about 300 frames in the cold and wet which takes its toll too. I also don't allow them to die entirely as I have been merrilly shooting away before and the battery die just as something important happens!

I had to get a 20D kit (£80 more expensive) as they are available and the body only is taking longer to get in the shops, been in American shops for ages now.

NE1 want an unused 18-55 EFS? already have 1 don't need 2, open to offers. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here