Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another loan striker bites the dust

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Albion's rotten luck in their search for a forward has struck again - with an injury blow for Arsenal's young Italian star Arturo Lupoli.

A loan move to the Seagulls has been wrecked by a hairline fracture of a foot which has ruled Lupoli out for the rest of the season.

The latest setback comes after The Argus revealed yesterday Albion's failed bid to sign Burnley striker Gifton Noel-Williams, because they could not afford to take over his contract.

The Seagulls have been working for weeks behind-the-scenes to set up the Lupoli deal.

The 18-year-old, an unused substitute in Arsenal's Champions League triumph away to Real Madrid at the Bernebau, was poised to make the move until picking up a foot injury in training.

It ruled him out of the second leg against the Spanish giants at Highbury and put the Albion switch on hold.

The move was back on when Arsenal's Dutch striker Robin van Persie came safely through his comeback from injury in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Albion at the Gunners' training ground last week.

That cleared the way for Lupoli to link up with the Seagulls this week but his injury has proved to be far more serious than Arsenal expected.

Albion chairman Dick Knight revealed: "They expected him to be fit on Monday and Arsene Wenger was quite prepared for him to come to us.

"He came in on Monday complaining the foot was still hurting. He had a scan which confirmed a hairline fracture and he is out for the rest of the season.

"It's unbelievable that we have lost out through no fault of anyone. He has been our prime target for a number of weeks."

Lupoli has played five times for Arsenal's first team this season, most recently at Blackburn in the Premiership last month. He scored in the Carling Cup victory against Reading at Highbury in November.

"It just shows the frustration we are having," Knight added. "He is a player we were very much hoping to bring in. He would have been a great asset to us at this stage of the season."

Albion are still hoping to talk to Rangers about their 22 year old Ugandan striker Moses Fellatio, who has had 4 appearances for the Ibrox side this season, scoring once.

Albion are running out of time to make a signing before tomorrow's 5pm loan transfer deadline, although Knight said: "There are other potential irons in the fire."

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Is it okay for a team like us to have 'Irons' in the fire ? Moses Fellatio ? Come on ! We'll be wearin pink again at this rate.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Titanic said:
Im sorry but i think thats pathetic.

It is but you do realise that you've started another multipage debate littered with insults and vivid immaginations :lolol:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
dwayne said:
There's no way Lupoli would have come to us, Knight is full of shit!

Thats no way to talk about poor little Leon !

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Titanic said:
I disagree.

you're wrong!! Lupoli is one of the hottest up and coming talents in the WHOLE premiership, there would be mid table Premiership teams wanting to take him on loan ahead of us FFS! we cant even get Gifton Noel Motherfucking Williams let alone Lupoli. and what about his wages, hes on a professional contract so will be on at least 10k a week and DICK KNIGHT has said HIMSELF, when we take a loan player we have to pay 100% of their wages.

Last edited:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
dwayne said:
There's no way Lupoli would have come to us, Knight is full of shit!

So you read a quoted factual statement, and still don't believe it..?

Fool or clown, take your pick.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Rowdey said:
So you read a quoted factual statement, and still don't believe it..?

Fool or clown, take your pick.

where's the quoted fact?

The article says that Wenger would have allowed him to come to us.....not that the player was coming

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I actually believe this, it's one thing lying about how much we bid for players etc, but to lie about specific players , in this case Lupoli is unlikely.

If he is making things up he stands to look a tosser in front of his mate Mr Brady and also Wenger, and probably ruin any chance of us having any of their players in the future.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
blockhseagull said:
I actually believe this, it's one thing lying about how much we bid for players etc, but to lie about specific players , in this case Lupoli is unlikely.

If he is making things up he stands to look a tosser in front of his mate Mr Brady and also Wenger, and probably ruin any chance of us having any of their players in the future.

don't get me wrong, I'm sure we have chased him and I'm sure "Arsene Wenger was quite prepared for him to come to us"....but I'm also sure we would not have got him, people really do live in a dream world sometimes.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
dwayne said:
don't get me wrong, I'm sure we have chased him and I'm sure "Arsene Wenger was quite prepared for him to come to us"....but I'm also sure we would not have got him, people really do live in a dream world sometimes.

Why not ?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
blockhseagull said:
Why not ?

because if clubs knew he was available there would be about 10 in the queue to snag him, and the other 9 would be bigger teams with decent stadiums further up the league!

....and don't give me any shit about special relationships with Arsenal!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
dwayne said:
because if clubs knew he was available there would be about 10 in the queue to snag him, and the other 9 would be bigger teams with decent stadiums further up the league!

....and don't give me any shit about special relationships with Arsenal!

But maybe this was them returning the favour for us playing them last week... no special relationship just a favour for a favour, Or maybe we just got in there first for a change

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here