Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another Kuipers - Henderson Thread

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Gullsworth said:
interesting to see if Henderson reacts to being dropped in a more mature way than FDM.

Well he was one of the first on the pitch to congratulate the team at the end of the game yesterday, and is smiling at the goal celebrations in the picture on the front of Sports Argus. So suggests he isn't throwing a fit just yet.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think Kuipers will stay in the side.

He saved himself with the terrific save towards the end of the game.

Other than that, his kicking was awful, his command of his area poor.

Without that save at the end Henderson would have been re-instated IMO.

Last edited:

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
trueblue said:
Absolutely - Henderson would have been slaughtered for those. The bias towards Kuipers from some people would be laughable if it wasn't so unfair on Henderson, who also makes some fantastic saves.

As for Kuipers playing to the crowd, am I the only one who thinks he's whipping it up deliberately to try to secure his place in the side.

Henderson looked pretty unhappy at the end - perhaps because he knew Kuipers one great save would have everyone forgetting his hopeless kicking? I can't see him sticking around to sit on our bench when he'd probably get a Championship club.

He was very unhappy when told on friday he would not be in. Hope he knuckles down though and does not throw his toys out. I think he needs a break and he`ll come back all the stronger for it. He`s still very young in goalkeeping terms.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
One thing people are forgetting is how the defence seem to play with Kuipers in goal.

Henderson is a fantastic shot stopper but unfortunately, he has no influence on the back four like Kuipers seems to have.

We all knew Kuipers' distribution has never been his strongest point but Adams, Taylor and Coppell all worked their way around it.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
supaseagull said:
We all knew Kuipers' distribution has never been his strongest point but Adams, Taylor and Coppell all worked their way around it.

In Coppell's case, by replacing him. It would seem McGhee went the same way ... it's an issue which isn't going to go away, and is a big problem - it's certainly one of the areas of his game which has stopped him being a top keeper.

Yoda

English & European
Repugnant Toad said:
In Coppell's case, by replacing him. It would seem McGhee went the same way ... it's an issue which isn't going to go away, and is a big problem - it's certainly one of the areas of his game which has stopped him being a top keeper.

Coppell had to replace him as MK ruptured his groin at Norwich in the cup game.

McGhee the same thing (after ripping the muscle away from the shoulder). The trouble this time was Henderson was so good during his loan spell we decided to buy him.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Yoda said:
Coppell had to replace him as MK ruptured his groin at Norwich in the cup game.

Initially, true.

But in the summer of 2003, when Kuipers had returned fully-fit, he still went out and bought Ben Roberts - he didn't rate Kuipers at all.

Last edited:

Wondergull

Nov 24, 2004
Brooklyn, New York
I would still pick Kuipers over Henderson. When we had Henderson on loan i thought he was fantastic but he hasnt been nearly as good since we signed him. Its the same with Alan Blayney, first time round on loan he was mustard but he was shocking when he came back.

I think Kuipers is a big influence in the team. Our form tailed off miserably after he hurt his shoulder against Forest 2 years ago. Before that injury we were on an unbeaten run and ran Spurs very close in the cup!

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Kuipers always seems to inspire more confidence in the defence - only time Henderson did that was when he was on loan to us - whenever he gets back into the team he needs to perform like that again - if he gets the strop he can go out on loan somewhere

LDH

Sep 22, 2004
he kept a clean sheet so should keep his place. I *think* he made a world class save at the end but it happened so quick i've no idea what went on. His kicking was TERRIBLE but as has been mentioned before, that doesnt really matter much at this level..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here