Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another Game, Another Poor Ref

Our first 'goal' was going to be given by the ref, but flagged offside by the lino.
Our player who jumped over the ball as it was goalbound was probably in an offside position and 'interfering with play' by unsighting the keeper.

It's well documented now, that officials themselves are not sure about the offside rules. Last week's MOTD perfectly illustrated the situation, when a perfectly offside and interfering-with-play goal was given (to Aston Villa), and another not-offside-at-all goal was disallowed (from Bolton).

I was chatting today with a couple of our players, and it was said that there are "too many grey areas".
I ventured that this is the biggest sport on Earth, internationally popular - yet match-deciding events in it are often judged completely wrongly.

I'd suggest this;
NO offside outside of goal areas, but inside the areas the old rules apply (no attacking player should be ahead of the play and the defenders, regardless of involvement)

Back to today's ref though - Hartlepool pushed and pulled whenever ours went up for a ball. To their credit they were fairly effective in playing VERY close marking and not giving time to control - but got away with a lot.

They rarely up-ended our player-with-the-ball, but in the 50/50's they played a little dirty.
That was quite effective, but happily ended with them losing anyway.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
It's easy to blame the ref when a game doesn't go your way but the ref at Luton was particularly good. He let the game flow and I can't think of a single decision that he got wrong.

Despite the fact that we were shite against Port Vale the ref was very poor, not just for us but for both teams. He seemed to forget that football does involve tackling, any physical contact resulted in a free kick. When players jostled fpr position at corners it only ever ended in one result - a free kick to the defending team. It makes corners a complete waste of time.

Having said that one of the worst refereeing performances of the season was at home to Gillingham, the ref that night really did effect the outcome of the game. Doesn't seem quite so bad when you win though does it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Another Game, Another Failure By The Albion To Dominate Against Piss-Poor Opposition more like. Can't always be the match officials' fault. We really should be beating teams like Hartlepool more easily.

Why Are We Deluding Ourselves That We Are Anything Other Than A Mid Table League One Club Given That We Have Crowds Of About 6,000 A Week And No Cash?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Regardless of the quality of the ref, where on EARTH did he get 5 mins added time from (which then became 6) ???

There were 4 sets of subs, as both teams made double substitutions. You don't add on 30 seconds for each person, just each substitution.. and Coxy's celebration didn't merit the added on time either.
I would have been aggrieved with 4 mins extra!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Regardless of the quality of the ref, where on EARTH did he get 5 mins added time from (which then became 6) ???

There were 4 sets of subs, as both teams made double substitutions. You don't add on 30 seconds for each person, just each substitution.. and Coxy's celebration didn't merit the added on time either.
I would have been aggrieved with 4 mins extra!

Could it have been for the time Kuipers was taking for goal kicks?

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
The five minutes of injury time yesterday was silly. There were no real long breaks in play during the second half.
Normally to warrant a whole five minutes of injury time, there would have been some sort of bad injury that required a stretcher and treatment on the pitch. There was no such incidence yesterday, the ref was just a wanker plain and simple.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Why Are We Deluding Ourselves That We Are Anything Other Than A Mid Table League One Club Given That We Have Crowds Of About 6,000 A Week And No Cash?

Please switch off your Caps Lock. you may get confused with a certain numbskull of this parish.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
What was it that Elphick was booked for? Another thing that annoyed me was when their number 11 blatantly dived towards the end, the ref gave no free kick, but yet did not punish him even when he chased after the ref!!

Their number 11 was rightly booked for a bad tackle and so the pisspoor ref had to ignore his dive and 2 outbursts of dissent otherwise it'd have been a second yellow card. Pisspoor ref didn't want that.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Because were not mid table?

mid table is usually middle of the table.......

we are above the middle.....

thus NOT mid table.

i hope this sums up my point.

Another Game, Another Failure By The Albion To Dominate Against Piss-Poor Opposition more like. Can't always be the match officials' fault. We really should be beating teams like Hartlepool more easily.

A bit harsh THPP, Hartlepool marked our players very closely and were dangerous in front of our goal too, so to win that match was a credit to DW's tactics and our players' resolve while lacking several top squad members.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The Football League rang him and told him to make sure we did not win to avoid problems with at least one team after the arbitration panel decision.
The thing is you could believe it. You can see when a ref is bad for both sides - he wasn't. And it was EVERYTHING - not just fouls, disallowed goals and non given penalties. Even giving them ludicrous amounts of stoppage time from nowhere.

?????????

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I didn't think he was bad at all. The 5 mins at the end was utterly bizarre, but if that's my biggest complaint - and it is - then I think that speaks volumes for the overall performance of the ref.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here