Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another club in crisis : Ringmer

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
"Ringmer Football Club has gone into administration.

The Blues, who are currently third in County League division one, have been involved in a long-running dispute about the ownership of the ground between the club's directors and the trustees."

Isn't there some discrepancy here? Surely this tried and tested English newspaper knows whether the team should be referred to in the singular or plural?

Either way, it's a bit sad.

The Blues, who are currently third in County League division one, have been involved in a long-running dispute about the ownership of the ground between the club's directors and the trustees."

Isn't there some discrepancy here? Surely this tried and tested English newspaper knows whether the team should be referred to in the singular or plural?

Do you expect them (or it) to write
"The Blues, who is currently third in County League division one...." ?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

oh my life get out a bit more sir

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Here is a bit more about what has happened to Ringmer Fc.

http://www.ringmerfc.co.uk/Ringmerfc0809/Membersletter.html

Being 280 miles away I hesitate to comment but as I understand it the reluctance of the trustees to do anything about this is because they fear the directors of the club will pocket the money from the sale of the Caburn Field and then run, leaving Ringmer without a home. I repeat that I do not know if either this is their reason or, if it is, whether there is any evidence to support their fears. But it has to be said that as I understand it there is no place specifically identified where Ringemr could play if the Caburn was sold. And it would be a sad day if it is, its right in the heart of the village and the football club would, I think , become more detached from village life if it was - for example - moved 1/2 way up the Broyle.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Malcolm Fillimore was the administrator at Crawley and seemed to be trusted by the supporters groups there, but I felt he left with several questions unanswered.

The one major question that comes out of his statement for me is why do the club have to sell the ground? He seems to just assume that this is what must happen. Surely, it's for the members to decide the future of the club if, as he says, they are the actual owners. ???

The administrator is suggesting that the trustees of the Caburn Field "expect to sell the land and hand over the proceeds to “their” members (that is – NOT the Club). This would mean that a few people would receive a substantial “windfall” and the Club and the community itself would fail to obtain the benefit of the Club’s shrewd investment".

But this seems to be just guesswork by the administrator, combined with a slur on the motives of the trustees.

My fear is that the land will be sold to a speculator at a knock-down price to pay off a relatively small debt that the Football Club have got themselves into, and that it will then be sold on at an enormous profit.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I feel for Ringmar, the ground is unfourtunalty on prime real estate and it would be easy for another Archer type to expolit the clubs current fractions.

Its been a while since I went out there for a SSC game in the Mark McGhee years, everyone I spoke to supported Falmer and the benifts it would bring to the area.

They had that terrible tragedy last year when a player died at the cabourn, it would be sad to think the club could be lost and his memory with it.

It would be great for the Albion to help them in any way possible.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The administrator is suggesting that the trustees of the Caburn Field "expect to sell the land and hand over the proceeds to “their” members (that is – NOT the Club). This would mean that a few people would receive a substantial “windfall” and the Club and the community itself would fail to obtain the benefit of the Club’s shrewd investment".

But this seems to be just guesswork by the administrator, combined with a slur on the motives of the trustees.

My fear is that the land will be sold to a speculator at a knock-down price to pay off a relatively small debt that the Football Club have got themselves into, and that it will then be sold on at an enormous profit.

Brings back bad memories, I really hope this can be resolved before the money men destroy another community football club.

http://ringmerfc.co.uk/Ringmerfc0809/News08.html

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004

........and the club left with nowhere to play !

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Nope. I don't give a shit either, but I've posted on here too. :bigwave:

Well i dont really give a shit, but i wouldn't say "i dont care", coz i dont like seeing teams going into admin.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Well I care because:-

a) Its the Village I was brought up in from age 11 and where my parents still live,

b) I've spent many happy hours at the Caburn watching the Blues, particularly when I couldn't afford to watch the Albion when I was a lad

c) The club has a fine pedigree for a village team including reaching the 1st round of the FA Cup in 1970/71

d) Its like Brighton, Lewes or Horsham or any other club in Sussex struggling, I don't like to see situations like this where part of the grass roots of football - whether it be County League - or much higher - is under threat.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Ringmer fc

Hi everyone ,
For those of you that do care....

The way i see it and read the situation at Ringmer is ,

you have basically 2 clubs Ringmer football club who are the members ,and the directors ,the members own the pitch and that includes the changing rooms,stand and rifle club.They own outright the ground.Whereas you also have Ringmer football club Ltd (directors) owned by the previous chairman and his directors who rent the land the clubhouse belongs to from Lewes district council whether they own the building itself i'm unsure but the directors or the 'ltd' side of ringmer fc took out a loan for 45k from the Royal bank of scotland who wanted the ground signed over to them rather A GOOD DEAL FROM RBS POINT OF VIEW 45k for land worth over £2.5 million and they loaned the money on the basis the ltd company owned the land which they did not and the paperwork lay somehwhere in thier vaults for 3/4 years untill the directors or ltd company spent the 45k on playing players i'd think as nothing has seemingly been spent on anything else at the clubhouse or ground wanted more money to get a further loan then this all came to light. The trustees from what im led to believe have basically said NO to signing the ground over as the other debts of the ltd company side have gone up by £100k to stand at around £167k now in the last 2 years !! So basically you have a ltd company with no assets wanting the trustees to bail them out of thier mismanagement and the trustees being threatened with legal action if they do not .In my view i say the trustees are doing the correct thing as they where put there for this very purpose to protect the ground for the future of football in Ringmer for generations to come not so these poeple can come in line there pockets and bugger off but by putting theltd company into administration the directors could loose all there directorships of companies they own for knowingly trading at a loss.... A big own goal .So i applaud the trustees and hope they hold there nerve and the ltd company and there administrators should start telling truths rather than telling bull did you learn this off Archer and bellotti?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here