Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Annual Leave entitilements

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Hello NSC, just asking for some advice. My mum received the following:-

"With effect From 1st of october I am pleased to confirm your entitlement will increase to 4.8 weeks holiday including recognised bank/pulic holidays each holiday year.

Please accept this memo as formal confirmation of a change to your terms and conditions of employment"

Now she has just phoned up to book three weeks leave next year as she is going away and has been told that she doesn't have enough leave, as they have to take public/bank holidays as annual leave.

From the letter she recieved it says to me that she gets 4.8 weeks leave AND Public/bank holidays?

Am I reading it wrong?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
No, that reads to me that the bank holidays are included in the 4.8 weeks. Otherwise it would have said excluding bank holidays.

That is some shit holiday entitlement considering there are 8 a year. If she hasn't got enough tell her to book some of it as sick.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I agree, it seems to clearly include public holidays. It seems like an odd way of calculating it as 4.8 weeks rather than having it in days

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Also, how the f*** do you calculate weeks in decimal form. How many days is 4.8 weeks? 24 I rekon, but it could be interpretted a number of ways, whoever sent that e-mail is an idiot.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Thought it was now a legal requirement for all employees to get a minimum of 25 days hol a year PLUS bank holidays....obviously pro rata for part time staff.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Don't you have to sign any change to your terms and conditions? Can't see how a memo can be used to do that.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Hello NSC, just asking for some advice. My mum received the following:-

"With effect From 1st of october I am pleased to confirm your entitlement will increase to 4.8 weeks holiday including recognised bank/pulic holidays each holiday year.

Please accept this memo as formal confirmation of a change to your terms and conditions of employment"

Now she has just phoned up to book three weeks leave next year as she is going away and has been told that she doesn't have enough leave, as they have to take public/bank holidays as annual leave.

From the letter she recieved it says to me that she gets 4.8 weeks leave AND Public/bank holidays?

Am I reading it wrong?

I read it that it was included in the 4.8 weeks but it would be better to have said 4.8 weeks holiday WHICH includes bank/public holidays blah blah blah...

But thats 24 days?? That can't be right??

What's her normal working week?

If it's five days, she seems to me to have an entitlement to 24 days annual leave, including 8 public holidays. That's 16 days leave to be selected to suit her. I can't see a problem with her booking three weeks off - unless there are other restrictions (such as, for example, a requirement to take part of the annual leave between Christmas and New Year).

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
What's her normal working week?

If it's five days, she seems to me to have an entitlement to 24 days annual leave, including 8 public holidays. That's 16 days leave to be selected to suit her. I can't see a problem with her booking three weeks off - unless there are other restrictions (such as, for example, a requirement to take part of the annual leave between Christmas and New Year).

5 days a week and yep there is that requirement.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Seeing as it only comes into effect on 1/10/07, if the holiday year runs April to March, then for this year she will only be entitled to a pro rata of the increase.

Was she trying to book the 3 weeks leave in this holiday year or next?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Agency workers get 20 days a year minimum entitlement but this includes the bank/public hols , which means in effect only having 12 days holiday as they deduct a day every bank/public holiday regardless. In 2009 the law changes and the bank/public hols WILL be added onto the legal minimum requirement.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
from http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/WorkingHoursAndTimeOff/DG_10029788:

From 1 October 2007 all workers have a statutory right to at least 4.8 weeks paid annual leave (that's 24 days paid holiday if you work five days a week).

and

How much holiday you get is normally set out in your contract of employment. You may have to build up your holiday before you can take it.

The minimum holiday entitlement is increasing. If your holiday year (sometimes called a leave year) starts on or after 1 October 2007 the legal minimum is 4.8 weeks a year (24 days if you work a five day week); there is no statutory right to get bank holidays on top of this. If you have a holiday year that does not start in October you will be entitled to a proportion of the additional days.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
from http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/WorkingHoursAndTimeOff/DG_10029788:

From 1 October 2007 all workers have a statutory right to at least 4.8 weeks paid annual leave (that's 24 days paid holiday if you work five days a week).

and

How much holiday you get is normally set out in your contract of employment. You may have to build up your holiday before you can take it.

The minimum holiday entitlement is increasing. If your holiday year (sometimes called a leave year) starts on or after 1 October 2007 the legal minimum is 4.8 weeks a year (24 days if you work a five day week); there is no statutory right to get bank holidays on top of this. If you have a holiday year that does not start in October you will be entitled to a proportion of the additional days.
The employment agencies are getting around this by changing workers over to a zero hours contract , which means there is no guarantee of working a 5 day week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here