Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Annie Feray Mutrie

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I have recently been fortunate to acquire a painting by Annie Feray Mutrie. A Victorian artist who died in Brighton in 1893. It passed from my grandmother to my sister to me and has been in our family for as long as my sister can remember, at least 70 years. But the painting is dated 1890 just 3 years before her death. It's incredibly resonant of my grandmother's house in Winchester Street where it hung for the first 10 years of my life. Wiki has provided some useful information, but it occurred to me that in view of the Brighton connection, there may be details or info about her and her work logged in the hive mind of NSC.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I know the NSC demographic is old, but, sheesh - 1890? Not sure many of us go quite that far back.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Annie_Feray_Mutrie.gif

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
She died in Lower Rock Gardens in 1893, born 1826 according to ancestry.com. Born in Lancashire. Her "Feray" name also suggests Huguenot roots as this is a common anglicization of Ferré but i have no proof of this, at all. In 1891, just after your painting was executed, she lived in Folkestone

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
She hadn’t heard of her but she is going to investigate
Here's the link to her Wiki page.

There's quite a bit of interesting stuff and clearly she was very accomplished. My picture of two robins with blackberries amongst the brambles sounds like a shift away from her usual subjects of still life and flowers. It's the Brighton connection that sent me off down the rabbit hole of curiosity. I'd never sell regardless of value, but I'm just curious what she did in Brighton before she died and maybe a bit more.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here