Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ankergren

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
Hopefully the clueless among the NSC crowd will now stop demanding Ankergrens replacement after saturdays brilliant clean sheet, including saving the penalty rebound.:albion2::albion2:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Hopefully the clueless among the NSC crowd will now stop demanding Ankergrens replacement after saturdays brilliant clean sheet, including saving the penalty rebound.:albion2::albion2:

Brilliant shot stopper, panics with a long kick under pressure and it's often difficult to receive on the wings or it hangs too long in the air allowing the oppositions defense time to recover and head clear.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Brilliant shot stopper, panics with a long kick under pressure and it's often difficult to receive on the wings or it hangs too long in the air allowing the oppositions defense time to recover and head clear.

Very harsh - his distribution is one of the reasons he's such an asset to us.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Have to agree with you, for me he hasn't done anything wrong to deserve some of the flak he gets. Not the best on crosses but not many modern keepers are these day!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Perfectly good keeper for us. Brillaint shot stopper. Buying a new keeper now would be a luxury for us, there are othe areas of the squad that need strengthening first.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There was a very strong cross wind yesterday.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Has started the season alright. I'd still like to see a better keeper in the long run but can't underestimate how good he is when we are knocking it about the back.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
There was a very strong cross wind yesterday.

I wasn't basing my judgment just on yesterday, or the fact that both Calderon and Greer on different occasions had a go at him for his distribution. His long kicks to the wings or centre aren't good.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I think Ankergren is a decent keeper at this level. Good shot stopper with good distribution, he just has the tendency to throw in the odd howler but what keeper doesn't? He will do for another year or two but we should be looking towards the future by getting a talented young keeper in (like gold dust I know) as if we do have premiership ambitions, having a great keeper can be more important than a great striker.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I think Ankergren is a decent keeper at this level. Good shot stopper with good distribution, he just has the tendency to throw in the odd howler but what keeper doesn't? He will do for another year or two but we should be looking towards the future by getting a talented young keeper in (like gold dust I know) as if we do have premiership ambitions, having a great keeper can be more important than a great striker.

Agree 100% +

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
A lot of the clueless when it comes to the keepers, won't be happy until their hero Kuipers in back in goal. Whoever plays before that happens won't be good enough.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
The Brezovan mistake against Spurs showed just how good Ankergren is at playing the difficult Gus way from the back

Ankergren manages our defence in free kick situations in a way that Brez is too nice a bloke to do, he puts the fear of god into them just like a certain manuir keeper used to do.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
A lot of the clueless when it comes to the keepers, won't be happy until their hero Kuipers in back in goal. Whoever plays before that happens won't be good enough.

IMHO Kuipers in his time was worth the 10 points a season its deemed a good keeper would save you over a season
History i think may back me up
Yes his distribution was very poor, when kicking and by no means would he have suited the current style of football under Gus
Which im sure is why his time came to an end when it did
But and this is a big BUT how many keepers could play the sweeper /keeper role? As well as CA did last year
I think we got lucky last year as circumstances forced Gus s hand a little
Casper has his faults but overall he is plenty good enough at this level as long as his defenders are aware and can compensate
I think this is why Muzza was the free man at corners defensively last year but i could be wrong
In Gus we trust

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Went to the Pompey game with a Pompey season ticket holder yesterday who has run the line at top level. Interesting he felt that Ankergen created panic in the defence in that he was uncertain about coming off his line.

He also said that he felt Ankergen's place kicking was a bit weak, I do tend to agree as he did hoof a couple straight out of play.

He is a quality shot stopper and almost players as a sweeper but I for one do panic when crosses or high balls are put in the box.

D

Deleted member 18477

Went to the Pompey game with a Pompey season ticket holder yesterday who has run the line at top level. Interesting he felt that Ankergen created panic in the defence in that he was uncertain about coming off his line.

He also said that he felt Ankergen's place kicking was a bit weak, I do tend to agree as he did hoof a couple straight out of play.

He is a quality shot stopper and almost players as a sweeper but I for one do panic when crosses or high balls are put in the box.

This. I shit my pants when it's in the air and he goes near it. I'm gunna have to start wearing pampers to future games!

Jun 24, 2010
Goring

Totally agree with this. Got his good side and not so good side, but his tendency to unnerve our defence is become common. Not saying let's get rid at all, but definitely a weak point to watch out for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here