Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ankergren Time Wasting - Were we happy with a point tonight?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
classic moment in the 2nd half with about 10mins to go I think, he was dilly dallying around and I blurted out "Casper get on with it!"....so he kicks it STRAIGHT to an Orient player, head firmly in my hands after that :lolol:

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
was he timewasting ? anyone would think that just because we beat Orient 5-0 at home we had the god given right to stuff them again.
hav`nt they only lost one game in last 14/15 matches. anyone would think they are rubbish but clearly they are not and were far more likely to win the game towards the end.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Good point. Dod I wish we'd beaten someone else 5 - 0 New Yrs Day as it seems people assumed this would have a major bearing on this match... Orient were smack in form and most said before they'dtake a point. The only bad feeling is that other results went as badly as they possibly could.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Ankergren knew the team weren't playing to their best ability so made adjustments just as any other keeper would in the circumstances. With 10 minutes left the sight of Holroyd and Sandaza warming up on the touchline would have been the subtle message to concentrate on not conceding and running the clock down.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
was he timewasting ? anyone would think that just because we beat Orient 5-0 at home we had the god given right to stuff them again.
hav`nt they only lost one game in last 14/15 matches. anyone would think they are rubbish but clearly they are not and were far more likely to win the game towards the end.

God given right to thrash them again? Not at all, but surely we'd have had the ambition to win the game as opposed to the opinion of many on here that a point would have been a good result to begin with!
And so what if they've only lost once (against us, incidentally, in 14/15 matches), we've only lost four times all season! Certainly shouldn't be fearing anyone at the top of the table. Cautious of Orient's run of form, yes, happy to draw with them? Not even slightly.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
No one`s happy to draw with them but on their recent results 4-0 v Sheff Weds, wins at Norwich and Swansea in the Cup and plenty of other decent results maybe a point isn`t too bad. They were the better side second half when i expected us with the two subs coming on to step up and win but Wood`s contribution was minimal and Noone had a night to forget.
I`m sure we had ambition to win, but at the end of the day we were poor and got away with a point.
If we had been given free kicks in the positions that Orient wasted time and time again (especially Cox) we would have won the game.We can`t win all the time you know and playing 2-3 times a week is going to catch up on us if it hasn`t already.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I am a rare attender of Div 1. Football but in the couple of matches i have seen i was not impressed by the time lost by goalkeeper passing to left back then on to right back who returns it to the keeper. I am not a supporter of the long ball
but there are plenty of progressive movements in moving the play towards the oppositions goal area,even in the new stadium
there will be a limit to how much time wasting will be tolerated.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
, happy to draw with them? Not even slightly.

The way we played last night I was RELIEVED we managed to get a draw. We looked well off the pace and somewhat clueless and for some reason reverted to hoofing quite often. Calderon and Dicker were particularly useless and plenty of others below par so a draw was a good result imo.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
The way we played last night I was RELIEVED we managed to get a draw. We looked well off the pace and somewhat clueless and for some reason reverted to hoofing quite often. Calderon and Dicker were particularly useless and plenty of others below par so a draw was a good result imo.

I see your point, my comment was aimed more at the pre match attitude as opposed to the post match analysis.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And Simster, before you explode, know that I am mucking about and I'm not convinced the above is right anyhows.

The law:
Under the 'duration of play' section of the laws of the game is this:

Allowance for time lost
Allowance is made in either period for all time lost through:

• substitutions
• assessment of injury to players
• removal of injured players from the field of play for treatment
• wasting time
• any other cause

The allowance for time lost is at the discretion of the referee.

And under advice for referees:

Allowance for time lost
Many stoppages in play are entirely natural (e.g. throw-ins, goal kicks). An
allowance is to be made only when these delays are excessive.

The fourth official indicates the minimum additional time decided by the
referee at the end of the final minute of each period of play.

The announcement of the additional time does not indicate the exact amount
of time left in the match. The time may be increased if the referee considers it
appropriate but never reduced.

The referee must not compensate for a timekeeping error during the first half
by increasing or reducing the length of the second half.

So, obviously, it isn't about the ball going out, it's about when the ref thinks it constitutes time wasting

The difference is how the ref acts, some make a song and dance about it, waving at the player to hurry up, handfing out cautions, pointing at the watches. Some will subtly stop their watch and start again when the time wasting is over. I've lost count of the number of times I hear fans going irate over time wasting yelling at the ref who I've noticed has already stopped his watch.

To the general discussion at hand:
Judging by the mere 2mins added time last night I'd say the ref didn't think Ankergren was wasting time.

Ankergren does always take a lot of time with goal kicks as long as we're not losing. I think getting caught up on whether it is time wasting according to the law or not is missing the OP's intent. Whether it was time wasting, or simply taking a long time, should he have played with a higher tempo when we weren't winning?

It's easy to say yes knowing the result, but there have been many games when we've taken a while to get the break through, and listening to the game on the radio, and reading various accounts of the game, our problem wasn't the pace we played the game, so I think Ankergren hurrying up on goal kicks wouldn't have had a great effect.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If anyone thinks Caper is time wasting then they havent seen Kuipers make a divot on the six yard box line. Place ball carefully maybe roll it over a couple of times in your hand. Take a few steps back. Bang the goal post half a dozen times to clear mud from his studs. Then take the goal kick.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If anyone thinks Caper is time wasting then they havent seen Kuipers make a divot on the six yard box line. Place ball carefully maybe roll it over a couple of times in your hand. Take a few steps back. Bang the goal post half a dozen times to clear mud from his studs. Then take the goal kick.

I've seen casper check the spot he was going to take the kic from, pick the mud out of one boot, trudge off the field to the left of the goal, saunter around the back, back up the right side of the goal to get the ball off the ball boy, saunter back across the goal mouth to the left, deliberately place the ball, make his way back to the goalline, pick the mud from his other boot, wave the players to one side, consider the short corner, wave the short option away then finally take the goal kick.

I wouldn't imagine there is much difference between them and their skill at running down the clock, tbh.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill

Two differences
a) When Michel did it, you can bet we were winning or at least drawing with a side that it would have been a good result to get a point from.
b) For most of Michel's time here, we weren't as good as we are now. I was relatively young when we won two titles with him, but I certainly don't recall any time wasting within the context which Casper does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here