Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ankergren Time Wasting - Were we happy with a point tonight?

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Before somebody gets all smart arse and says that passing the ball back to Ankergren is part of our game, yes I do get that. I understand using him to draw an attacker away from a defender in order to build from the back is crucial blah blah blah, although we certainly didn't do much (if any) of that tonight.

The reason for this rant is down to the fact on plenty of occassions he took ages to take a goal kick. Why? To what point and purpose does it serve to be going to Leyton Orient as league leaders, who we dicked 5-0 merely a month ago and seemingly be happy with a point??

Even after they were reluctant to throw bodies forward for fear of being caught on the break (not sure they had much to worry about, mind), he was still time wasting away. I feel as though we could've put a lot more pressure on them in the closing stages and certainly given ourselves a greater chance of snatching it at the death.

So were we happy to get a point tonight? I'd hope not, as although it could be argued any point away from home is good, it certainly appears to have put a lot of pressure on ourselves to win at Rovers on Saturday.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
To be honest, when you're having a bad day at the office, take what you can and get out of there.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
It was risky, especially as we kept kicking the ball to them, tonight, letting them come at us. We were way below par this evening, poor final ball, passes going astray, second to a lot of the 50/50s, and gutted as I was that we didn't win, I was actually relieved that we came away with a point. They looked nervy tonight. But the O's are on a good run, so at least they didnt nick one at the end. Brizzle is massive on Saturday.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
From the perfomance we put in, I am bleeding over the moon with a point

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I didn't notice Ankergren timewasting particularly. Looked pretty normal to me, the ref never pulled him up for anything. Perhaps I'm just used to it now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Orient have lost just one game in 15 (which was us) and when was the last time we won a game there? More than happy with a point tonight although the game was awful.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Probably felt, like me, that a point was as good as it was going to get. Struck me from mid way through the 2nd half that Ankergren was settling for a point.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We were away to a team in decent form, and were not on our game at all. In those circumstances, you take the point and run. A point above Bornmuff with a couple of Dagenhams in hand. That'll do nicely.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The reason for this rant is down to the fact on plenty of occassions he took ages to take a goal kick. Why? To what point and purpose does it serve to be going to Leyton Orient as league leaders, who we dicked 5-0 merely a month ago and seemingly be happy with a point??

You are aware the clock is STOPPED when the ball isn't in play?

The point and purpose being that Orient are on absolutely superb form.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He was awful with it, and I'm surprised the ref didn't have a word with him. But Turkey is right, bad day at the office so take the point and regroup - hopefully Bristol Rovers will be soccered off the field.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You are aware the clock is STOPPED when the ball isn't in play?

The point and purpose being that Orient are on absolutely superb form.
Note to Mellotron, when trying to belittle people, it's always a good idea to get your facts right.

The ball is actually only in play for about 65 minutes of your average match. I believe the clock is only "stopped" when a substitution is made.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not trying to belittle anyone. So.....if players constantly "timewaste" at dead ball moments (ie free kicks, goal kicks, throw ins) you lot are telling me NO extra time will be added for that? Bit silly if you ask me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And HANG ON, I've just checked, numerous "rules of the game" websites state there are 8 conditions for the clock being stopped in football, goal kicks being one of them.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Note to Mellotron, when trying to belittle people, it's always a good idea to get your facts right.

Note to Simster, when trying to belittle people, it's always a good idea to get your facts right.

8 reasons for the clock to be stopped in Football;

The goal kick (3) is awarded to the defending team, if the attacking team took the ball out of play on the defending team's goal line. The game is restarted with the goalkeeper kicking it from within the six yard box. If the defending team touches the ball last and it goes over their own goal line, outside of the goal itself, then the opposing team earns a corner kick (4) and they will be required to restart the game from the corner nearest to where the ball went out.

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham
And HANG ON, I've just checked, numerous "rules of the game" websites state there are 8 conditions for the clock being stopped in football, goal kicks being one of them.

Maybe so, but in reality that never happens. That's why if a game kicks off at 3 o'clock the board for stoppage time will generally go up at 3:45 pm. If the ref stopped the clock every time there was a goal kick the half probably wouldn't finish 'til 4 o'clock.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And Simster, before you explode, know that I am mucking about and I'm not convinced the above is right anyhows.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Maybe so, but in reality that never happens. That's why if a game kicks off at 3 o'clock the board for stoppage time will generally go up at 3:45 pm. If the ref stopped the clock every time there was a goal kick the half probably wouldn't finish 'til 4 o'clock.

I don't think the ref literally stops his clock every time, my point is if a goalie took a ridiculous amount of time to take a goal kick about 3 or 4 times, I think the ref would notice it and adjust accordingly.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I was relieved that we got a point. I also thought that Ankergren was lucky the ref didn't say something to him however, don't forget he played for Leeds so he probably got in the habit from them. I don't think their gobby No. 8 endeared himself to the ref either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here