Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ankergren - Player of the Month

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
not sure that he would be praised by some,primarily for reasons already alluded to, if he didn't concede again all season.

sure he has his faults but he does merit the award and does not merit the abuse some give him.

personally I favour Brez for his strength on crosses but on recent form CA deserves to keep his place - either would get my vote for best all round keeper at the club in the last 5 years

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
It wouldn't matter if it was Kuipers, Brezovan, Lev Yashin, Jesus, Mohammed, anyone because when you've made one serious save in a month as a goalkeeper, you've not been the best player. :lol: This isn't a criticism of him, though I'd prefer to see Brezovan back in personally, it's just a fact. He's had very little to do that wasn't incredibly routine because the defence has been so good.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
The first thing he can do is hand the award to Adam El-Abd, although he would undoubtedly drop it first. Casper stilll terrifies me anytime the ball goes in the same postcode as him.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I don't understand the attitude towards keepers at our club sometimes. It is almost like we expect them to be Premiership quality. Ankergren isn't confident off his line and that is why he is playing at League One level rather than in the Premier League or Championship. His shot stopping is very good and his distribution is also good but he does have one weakness. However, we have only conceded 2 goals in the last 6 league games so we are not going to drop him and the fans need to support him. In my opinion, Brezovan and Ankergren are both good keepers at this level and I would be happy with either in the team but as Ankergren is in possession and we are doing well, he will keep the shirt.

Well said sir!!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
how on earth do they judge these things?

his record is very very good for this month, but that has mainly been down the defence (carlisle away excepted). anyone of the back four would be more deserving

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
how on earth do they judge these things?

his record is very very good for this month, but that has mainly been down the defence (carlisle away excepted). anyone of the back four would be more deserving

Indeed, he came equal 6th in NSC's player of the month poll for September - with Adam el Abd the clear winner.

It's a funny game, innit.

Sep 1, 2010
El-Abd was Player of the month, simple as. Just goes to show what a farce this award as far as i am concerned. Nothing against Ankergren, but really? Player of the Month....dear oh dear:facepalm:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
After watching Kuipers and Smith in recent seasons I wonder why some people find it so hard to understand the crucial role a keeper plays in creating the confidence which allows the rest of the defensive unit to perform at their peak (or put another way for the keeper to completely destroy the whole defence). Organising the defence is a key part of the keeper's role and done well it results in his having relatively little to do in terms of shot stopping - the key then being how well he does that when required. Give the defence credit but don't denigrate the keeper for haviing "nothing to do" - not everything is in what you see.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I reckon if barnes was capable af finishing he would have made player of the month...

liam82

Onwards and Upwards
Apr 8, 2007
Telscombe Cliffs
Has always been quality in my opinion, was the difference when Leeds beat us at home a few seasons ago and kept a clean sheet at Old Trafford last season as well as saving a Defoe penalty at White Heart Lane.

I'm happy ihe is here and well done on the award :thumbsup:

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
This is ideal as far as I can see. Keepers play better and make less mistakes when they are confident and on top of their game. This 'boost' can only improve Kasper's performances, IMO.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This is ideal as far as I can see. Keepers play better and make less mistakes when they are confident and on top of their game. This 'boost' can only improve Kasper's performances, IMO.

...Is the correct answer.

Irrespective of whether or not we deem him "worthy", he is the nPower Player of the Month.

Good on him! Its about time one of our players got some recognition outside of the club and it is a well deserved confidence boost.

FYI, I wish people would stop bringing the "he's not Kuipers so they'll never be happy" argument to the table. Its boring and pointless 4 months after he left the club!

:albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here