Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Angry Birds Star Wars

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Awesome.

Genuine question though, why does the iOS version cost money whilst the Android one is free?

Because if you've got the money to burn on Apple products then they see they can con you out of money for a game as well !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Awesome.

Genuine question though, why does the iOS version cost money whilst the Android one is free?

Two reasons:

- It's been long proven that Android users spend very little on apps.
- The Android ecosystem is somewhat rife with piracy.

So, some developers will launch for free but have the app supplemented by adverts so that they earn something. On iOS the same app will be ad-free.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Two reasons:

- It's been long proven that Android users spend very little on apps.
- The Android ecosystem is somewhat rife with piracy.

So, some developers will launch for free but have the app supplemented by adverts so that they earn something. On iOS the same app will be ad-free.

The android way is obviously one heartily approved of as it appears to be the way of NSC :)

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'd forgotten this was out today, so thanks for the reminder. :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 18477

angry birds is STILL going? that game was soooo 2 years ago :moo: (unless you've only just got a smartphone)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It would appear not, we too enjoy the Android way.

Android is responsible for many things.

Cheap plasticy phones is one of them. A business model whereby advertising provides the revenue stream is not.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Android is responsible for many things.

Cheap plasticy phones is one of them. A business model whereby advertising provides the revenue stream is not.

Think you've muddled that up. Android don't make phone hardware so you can't accuse them of plasticy phones anymore than you can accuse Microsoft of making plasticy computers.

On the other hand, their model of advertising as a revenue stream was introduced by Google when they took over the company in 2005. Whilst Google can't claim to have invented this model, they've certainly proven to be one of the most successful companies in history to have profited from it

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Think you've muddled that up. Android don't make phone hardware so you can't accuse them of plasticy phones anymore than you can accuse Microsoft of making plasticy computers.

On the other hand, their model of advertising as a revenue stream was introduced by Google when they took over the company in 2005. Whilst Google can't claim to have invented this model, they've certainly proven to be one of the most successful companies in history to have profited from it

You're taking a thread way off on a tangent. Again. It's tiresome.

The question was why is is the case that sometimes an app is free on Android whereas the same app will require a purchase fee on iOS.

The primary reason is the proliferation of piracy in and around the Android ecosystem which Google has done precious little to stop. So, if developers want to make money on Android, they pursue an ad-supported model. Or give up and make it free. Again, I'm out of this - you're boring.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
You're taking a thread way off on a tangent. Again. It's tiresome.

The question was why is is the case that sometimes an app is free on Android whereas the same app will require a purchase fee on iOS.

The primary reason is the proliferation of piracy in and around the Android ecosystem which Google has done precious little to stop. So, if developers want to make money on Android, they pursue an ad-supported model. Or give up and make it free. Again, I'm out of this - you're boring.

You make deliberately provocative and inaccurate comments which I rise to in order to correct you and then you get defensive as if I'm on some mission to argue with you. My initial question was a genuine question with no prejudice, you turned it into another "mine is better than yours" argument which I simply responded to because it's obviously what you wanted. If you don't want people to point out flaws in your arguments, don't make bold sweeping statements that are inaccurate.

I don't actually want to play "mine v yours", particularly when we agree on some parts and clearly own much of the same kit, but I will rise to the bait if you throw it out there.

I love excellent gadgets, I don't care who puts their name to them. We as consumers are in a golden age of personal technology and for me it's about finding the best made kit and the most competitive prices. The manufacturers competing with each other is great for us on the ground and I want that to continue. Why some people are so stubbornly tied to one brand over another to the point of getting angry when others dare to criticise is beyond me, genuinely.

Why can't we all just agree that the more companies innovate and churn out great new products whilst competing with one another on price, is good for us consumers? Surely we should all be questioning the worth of one firm's products over another's, in order to keep them both on their toes and constantly striving to become better, faster and cheaper.

I want consumers to win, not brand A over brand B

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Count yourself lucky you dont have a BlackBerry Playbook, Angry Birds original is £5 on there!!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Can't even download it.

Requires Android 2.2 or higher, I have 2.3.5

"This app is incompatible with all of your devices."
Wankers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here