Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anfield – perfect place to get GOSBTS right?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Forget the songs about Suarez, forget about that embarrassing Palace song. We've got our own, totally unique song which 6000 of us can sing loud and proud, to an audience of millions. And Anfield – the home of the football song – is surely the perfect place to get Sussex by the Sea right.

We all know the problem. That bloke – you know you are, matey – who always starts singing der-der-de der far too high for anyone to be able to reach the top note. After that, there's the embarrassing key change downwards to sing 'Oh we're going up to win the cup’… This is our anthem. Yet, it still sounds a total mess. And don't get me started about speeding up to 200 mph…

The solution is dead simple. Try this. Just start off – in your head, or if you want, out loud – with ‘Oh we're going up to win the cup, for Sussex by the Sea’. Then your ‘Der-der-de-derrrs' will be dead easy to sing, and everything will sound totally wonderful.

And, here's a thought: there's no reason why we can't just restart straight after, to have GOSBTS as a continuous, wall of sound song for several minutes of the game.

Yes, we know, habits of a lifetime and all that. But Anfield, with an audience of millions, is the perfect place to do it differently. Start off with 'Oh we're going up to win the cup’, sing the whole thing slow, keep it going... and we may well have a winner on our hands.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Some bloke behind me had a good go at getting the real lyrics going at leeds, he also started ''slow old sussex by the sea, slow old sussex by the sea, and we'll sing the song at the propper speed, for sussex by the sea''

Agree anfield would be an ideal place to get it right but i feel its more unlikely to get going here then any where else.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Some bloke behind me had a good go at getting the real lyrics going at leeds, he also started ''slow old sussex by the sea, slow old sussex by the sea, and we'll sing the song at the propper speed, for sussex by the sea''

Agree anfield would be an ideal place to get it right but i feel its more unlikely to get going here then any where else.
But, unlike anywhere else, Anfield is famous the world over for its singing. Here's our chance to make a huge impact with one amazing song. YNWA v GOSBTS? No contest!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
One of the best renditions of GOSBTS was sung at the end of the 2-2 draw in the cup in the early 90s. Truly spine tingling !

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

That was me, I believe :) not many joined in though!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Yes, AND we've got six hours in coaches, minibuses, trains and cars to practice it. Maybe a few impromptu rehearsals at selected refuelling points up the M1 might help.

It will also be a treat to hear Aaaaaallllbion sung loudly at the place that originally inspired it ... :albion:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes, AND we've got six hours in coaches, minibuses, trains and cars to practice it. Maybe a few impromptu rehearsals at selected refuelling points up the M1 might help.

It will also be a treat to hear Aaaaaallllbion sung loudly at the place that originally inspired it ... :albion:

Who will travel up the M1 to Liverpool from Sussex, not many I wouldn't think possibly from Hastings or Eastbourne area. Others will probably go M23, M40 M6. Quite agree about the singing though.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Wh would you travel up the M1 if you are from Eastbourne or Hastings?
A22/A21, M25, M40

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That was me, I believe :) not many joined in though!

Were you right by the goalline at Leeds? If so, I was a little bit ahead of you and to the left, but joined in. People in front of me asked where the words before the chorus had come from. People need educating, Sussex By The Sea isn't just a small chorus. It's an actual song.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Who will travel up the M1 to Liverpool from Sussex, not many I wouldn't think possibly from Hastings or Eastbourne area. Others will probably go M23, M40 M6. Quite agree about the singing though.

*note to self: look at map before making wild assumptions about driving routes*
Yes, you're right - I stand corrected. Motorway services in general might have been more accurate.
Looking forward to being part of a blue and white CONVOY – scarves out the car window obligatory. :banana:

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Were you right by the goalline at Leeds? If so, I was a little bit ahead of you and to the left, but joined in. People in front of me asked where the words before the chorus had come from. People need educating, Sussex By The Sea isn't just a small chorus. It's an actual song.

indeed, the only way i can think of is having the words on the big screen before each match for a while. it may seem 'cringey' but that way by next season we could do a proper rendition of the actual song with the actual lyrics each game.

keep trying notters, you did well :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wh would you travel up the M1 if you are from Eastbourne or Hastings?
A22/A21, M25, M40

I did say possibly as an ex area manager of mine lived in Bexhill and supported Man U and went to every home game and he said it was quicker to go A21 M25 Dartford Tunnel M1 and then M50 past Brittannia Stadium to get to Manchester. Overa period of years he tried every possible way at different times and days of the week for night games etc. To be pedantic I will go from Haywards Heath via M23 M4 to Jct 8/9 join M40 at Wycombe then M5 M6.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I would always go round M25 to the M40 rather than queue and pay at Dartford Crossing, then endure speed restictions on M1 through roadworks by Luton

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me
And I'll sing you a song, as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

For we're the men from Sussex
Sussex by the sea,
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
And useful men we are we:
And when you go from Sussex,
Whoever you may be,
You tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

Oh, Sussex, Sussex by the sea
Good old Sussex by the Sea
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

Light is the love of a soldier
That's what the ladies say
Lightly he goes a-wooing
Lightly he rides away,
In love and war, we always are
As fair as fair can be,
And a soldier boy is the ladies joy
In Sussex by the sea.

For Sussex by the sea.

Far o'er the seas we wander
Wide through the world we roam,
Far from the kind hearts yonder
Far from our dear old home,
But never shall we forget my boys
And true we'll ever be
To the girls so kind that we left behind
In Sussex by the sea.

For Sussex by the sea.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I did say possibly as an ex area manager of mine lived in Bexhill and supported Man U and went to every home game and he said it was quicker to go A21 M25 Dartford Tunnel M1 and then M50 past Brittannia Stadium to get to Manchester. Overa period of years he tried every possible way at different times and days of the week for night games etc. To be pedantic I will go from Haywards Heath via M23 M4 to Jct 8/9 join M40 at Wycombe then M5 M6.

Why are you going on the M4?

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
isnt liverpool in the north west?
hope you all find it
and if so , that i can join in a very loud GOSBTS in my living room in Germany on sunday afternoon
make it happen!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I was! I started off in the second to back row but got pissed off with the stewards so moved down after about 35 mins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here