Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Whing

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Zesh Rehman 34 said:
to be fair Mark, Whing was BAD last night.

So what, exactly, did he do wrong? Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the ONE goal we conceded come from our LEFT? Whing also had to play centre half, which is not his favoured position. He did particularly well if you ask me.

(A couple of sliced passes and ONE miscontrol doesn't mean a player has had a bad game)

Sav

Jul 23, 2006
Lancing
Whing's a good player to have in the Squad, but not good enough for our first 11. We should expect someone better than him tbh.

If you actually watch his positioning in the game mate, you'll see that he constantly drifts inwards and gets pulled in to the middle when sitting on the back line, and allows the other teams' wingers or Strikers to go wide behind him. He's unstable with the ball.

We could get a better right back than him.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Arrel UK said:
Agreed son. Least someone can realise.

Er, realise what exactly?

So yes, his first touch can be worked on. Yes, he plays a ball down the line OFTEN.

However, I recall the Bradford game in particular that he was our most attacking player, frequently charging down the line. Millwall more recently as well. At Withdean, we don't play so much counter attacking stuff, so he isn't used as a 'wing back' so much.

But does that make him 'not very good'?

Virgo's touch was woeful, and he HOOFED it every time. Were people saying he was shit (at right back)? No

What exactly do you expect from a right back to make them good? Hinshelwood and El-Abd are centre backs. Their distribution is SHOCKING, as a thumped ball to no-one is all they can offer. That's why they are centre backs.

Whatever class right backs have we had in recent times? Pethick? Watson?!
No, i can't remember any. Funny that.

Whing - room for improvement, most definitely.
'Not very good' - er, yeh right! :rolleyes:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Chris Wilder.

Otter - you can be an argumentative little child sometimes! :D:D

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brighton are at the best when attacking the open spaces between the touchline and the penalty box. Anybody who watches us will realize this after a few minutes when Cox has sent the ball into that area 5 times for Robinson to chase. Is it not possible that Whing has been told to do the same in order for us to use the pace of Robinson and Cox.

I think that Whing is the best right back we have had for a long time and is more than adequate, and also a natural full back, and I would be very happy if we signed him on a permanent deal.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Arrel UK said:
Yup, He's not a very good player IMO. Never looks for an easy ball and just does the long ball down the line everytime where we never win them over the top. His control isn't that good either tbh, and even in the Warm up last night he was slicing them everywhere.

:shootself :lol:

Idiot.

Last edited:

What a strange thread! Robinson should have scored in the opening few minutes from an attack Whing created.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
How can you say Whing should not be in the first 11, since he has come in our defence has looked far more solid (granted hinsh and butters have done a lot as well) he is a proper right back with a lot of experience playing at a higher level and is a asset to the team. Think i trust Wilkins on his ability and he would love to sign him

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whing gets forward and the team are confident enough to give him a lot of the ball so he's always involved.

If we do lose Joel Lynch we'll need the boost of signing Whing - I say offer Cov some cash when we get the Lynch fee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here