Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

andy whing- is this TRUE

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I hardly think it's sentiment to allow the reigning player of the season a place on the bench.

Giving a starting place to someone based on previous success instead of current form isn't sentiment?

Anyone listened to this ?

Listened to it on the way up yesterday and Liam Dickinson said his Mum reads NSC to gauge how he plays then rings him up and tells him :lolol::lolol:

I feel sorry for the lad

Because he apparently can't use a computer? I feel sorry for him too...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's not such a massive deal, but personally I think if you're on the staff of a club it's a bit ill-advised to support the opposition from the stands. I doubt all of his team-mates were happy about it. If you're not in the squad you stay at home, or you support your colleagues from the bench/stands with all the other player guests.

And it's not like he did it discreetly, several tabloids carried the story of him with pictures on the Friday/Saturday - which was bizarre in itself, as it was a total non-story, three weeks after it was in the Argus, and additionally since there would have had to have been an injury crisis on the scale of the Black Death for him to get a look-in for the starting line-up.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
I am sorry but having seen him in matches and over the past 12 months or so I think it is the exact opposite to that.
:shrug:
He did win player of the season with 77% of the vote.

It's not such a massive deal, but personally I think if you're on the staff of a club it's a bit ill-advised to support the opposition from the stands. I doubt all of his team-mates were happy about it. If you're not in the squad you stay at home, or you support your colleagues from the bench/stands with all the other player guests.

And it's not like he did it discreetly, several tabloids carried the story of him with pictures on the Friday/Saturday - which was bizarre in itself, as it was a total non-story, three weeks after it was in the Argus, and additionally since there would have had to have been an injury crisis on the scale of the Black Death for him to get a look-in for the starting line-up.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Personally Whing should have been on the bench. Im sure Poyet knows what he is doing but there is room for a little bit of sentiment in football. Remember at Spurs Charlie gave Butters the captains armband for the day because of Guys connection with Spurs...

At least we were spared the outcome of the Albion winning yesterday and being drawn again Poyet's favourite English team in the next round.

Would he have watched the game from the Chelsea end?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Pfffff. So what if it is true?

Lets say I become a player for... Man City, and were playing the Albion. I'm not picked. As a life long Albion fan, i'm going to want to sit and watch a game where a result for City would be fantastic, however if Albion won, then i'd be also happy.

Fair play to him for being able for once to see his team play.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think Whing will be on his way, and I'm fine with that. Calderon looks three times the player Whing is, technically speaking.

Whing seems to have a good attitude and work ethic overall, so I'm sure he'll do alright.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I am sorry but having seen him in matches and over the past 12 months or so I think it is the exact opposite to that.

I'm sorry too, but Hoyte has not played a good game for us, whereas Whingy has been consistently good and, although less good more recently, is still a far better player than Hoyte is at this stage in his career... of course, Calderon has so far looked better than both of them...

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
I think I saw him during the warm-up over the far side in an Albion tracksuit signing autographs by the dug-outs. After that I cant comfirm. Wouldnt be surprised though.

Signing autographs for who? Villa fans? :facepalm:

Think that his/his dad's interviews last week might have lead to his exclusion.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Signing autographs for who? Villa fans? :facepalm:

Think that his/his dad's interviews last week might have lead to his exclusion.

Yeah he was on his way back to/from the tunnel so he was passing them anyway. May not have been him, just looked ginger and in an albion tracksuit from a distance.

Dont think his exclusion was a massive surprise, hes been in and out of the squad the past month or so. Sentiment is the only reason he would have got on the pitch, at 3-1 Gus was still chasing the game so I doubt he would have come on even if he'd been on the bench.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Ok Whing may love the club etc but in terms of playing quality whenever he comes up against a half decent winger he's f***ed, tries hard but just not up to it, if you want to have a chance of promotion we need better quality fullbacks, imagine him against Milner/Downing!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Pfffff. So what if it is true?

Lets say I become a player for... Man City, and were playing the Albion. I'm not picked. As a life long Albion fan, i'm going to want to sit and watch a game where a result for City would be fantastic, however if Albion won, then i'd be also happy.

Fair play to him for being able for once to see his team play.

Agreed. Stupid and pointless thoughts, but I've always had the thought that if in my wildest dreams I'd become a footballer, I'd either do a Mathew Le Tissier and no matter how good I got would spend my entire career playing for Brighton as he did Southampton, or if I joined another club, I'd have it written into my contract that I didn't have to play against Brighton.

Whilst in the realms of pure fantasy, I would also have signed for Palace the week before we were due to play them, scored three own goals, then left.
:laugh:

Edit - In fact, thinking of that last statement, maybe that's why Gus didn't pick him! Last thing you want is 1-1 in injury time, and a Villa supporting right back scoring an og :eek:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
El-Abd sat in the Doug Ellis stand, I asked him at half time about a few things.

His contract negotiations, When he will be back for first team and Where Whingy was sitting were on the agenda.

Adam said that Whingy travelled with the squad and would have a seat behind the dug-out

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If Whing loves the club so much hopefuly he'll be happy being Calderon's back-up and won't moan he's not playng much. Also if Hoyte is as bad as most are saying (I only seen him play here once and he looked average) then be a shame to loose Whing long term for a month of developing Arsenal's player!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here