Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Townsend says we are down

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
sir danny cullip said:
O yea dont get me wrong ill take any goal BUT some people seem to be under the illusion these games will dig us out of trouble, they seem to forget that another performance like the last two vs crewe and leicester will send us down.

most worringly mcghee is one of them

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
dougdeep said:
Andy Who? ???

quite.
and who ever gave us a chance the season we stayed up and hereford went out of the league.

I can't see the fat lady yet and until I do there is always hope.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe we will go down.

But it won't because that arse says so. Andy Townsend is one of the most annoying presenters on TV, how he keeps getting a contract off ITV is beyond me.

I imagine that some rugby supporting TV executive in an office somewhere thinks that Townsend's "witty" repartee with Ally "the new Peter Kay" McCoist is what viewers tune in to the Championship for, and not because it's the only chance to see their team's goals.

One of these days they'll realise how irritated most viewers are by him and stick him in that same dark place they hastily retired his Tactics Truck to.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He is right.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Icy Gull said:
If we are not ahead of Sheff Weds by the time we play them we have no chance of staying up. Think about it, if they come here just needing a draw do you really think we'll be able to break them down and score???

Personally think he has every right to think that, we do not look like we have a prayer of satying up imo.

They would be very stupid just to put 11 men behind the ball, how often do teams do that and concede a late goal. If they do that im confident we will beat them.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
DAMANCLAY said:
They would be very stupid just to put 11 men behind the ball, how often do teams do that and concede a late goal. If they do that im confident we will beat them.

I cant really recall us busting the oppositions net with goals recently tho.

Im sure since Boxing day it reads 0 1 1 2 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0

No exactly inspiring stuff.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
2 goals in the last 7 games

8 goals in the last 15 games

Albion Rob

I really wanted to shout at the TV "What the f*** to you know Townsend, you average, average former player and weak pundit." But unfortunately I think he is right. We can't score goals and can't seem to buy a win (would be hard in our financial situation anyway!).

The sad fact is that we were saved by three awful sides last season - Rotherham didn't win until about December, Forest were in debt up to their eyeballs and confidence was non-existent and the Gillingham bubble had burst. Crewe also did their best to go down but Ashton saved them before leaving.

This year, the sides around us, bar Crewe, are reasonably decent, certainly a lot better than last year. Look at it, six points off Rotherham, four off Forest and six off Gillingham.

This season, one off Crewe, one off Wednesday and none off Millwall so far. That could improve significantly but can anyone seriously see us taking six points from the Millwall and Wednesday games? I reckon four at a push, most likely one or two.

It is hard to take but the lads just aren't quite up to it this year. Quite possibly, they will do very well if we do go down as the young lads don't look totally out of their depth, just a little off the pace. I still think CKR can come good. El Abd is good, as is Hammond when he rediscovers his form. Henderson will be one of the best in the division and McShane would be a superb addition.

As ever, a striker is what we need. Maybe we can get someone in over the summer, maybe Jake and CKR can fire us to promotion. As much as this season has been depressing and frustrating, the lads who have been playing regularly will notice the difference in standard between average Championship sides and aveagre League One sides.

Depressingly, Southend could well be in a the league above us next season.

On the bright side, we should be very competitive in the division, should have a cool trip to Donny and possibly a day out at the new Wembley.

One thing is for sure, it won't be as depressing on the pitch as this year.

And then there's Falmer....

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
regardless of what anyone thinks of AT it doesn't take a genius to realise we're 99% going down with as much fight as Walter the softy !

Shanks

Sep 30, 2003
Harlow
Townsend's a Class A Prick. You should just be thankful you don't have to put up with his Cockney Clown act on Yorkshire Soccer Night every week. It's worse than his efforts on The Premiership, if that's possible.

I almost want you to prove him wrong.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:

They wouldn't need to. Just nullify us all over the field and where necessary hit us on the break whilst not committing too many players forward.

Do you reckon we could break down an organised basically defensive team? Did you see the Burnley game?

The only chance I can see of us winning games is end to end ones
:(

Last edited:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
We have only scored 2 goals in the last 8 games, and we're 5 points from safety. The omens are pretty bad

Wardywonderland said:
That is the reason that football is such a great game. You can have all the stats your like, but at the end of the day they mean sod all.

how about these stats that mean "sod all"

18 Southampton 37 -3 42
19 Derby 38 -6 42
20 Hull 38 -7 41
21 Sheff Wed 38 -20 35
22 Millwall 38 -22 33
23 Brighton 38 -26 30
24 Crewe 37 -34 28
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :rolleyes:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Albion Rob said:

The sad fact is that we were saved by three awful sides last season - Rotherham didn't win until about December, Forest were in debt up to their eyeballs and confidence was non-existent and the Gillingham bubble had burst. Crewe also did their best to go down but Ashton saved them before leaving.

This year, the sides around us, bar Crewe, are reasonably decent, certainly a lot better than last year. Look at it, six points off Rotherham, four off Forest and six off Gillingham.

really don't agree with that mate, last year if I remember rightly 51 pts went down. Gillingham had pretty much promotion form apart from the last few games.
The teams down there are pretty dreadful this year including us , anyone who can string a few results together will stay up . . .including Crewe who are still in it.

Albion Rob

Dougal said:
really don't agree with that mate, last year if I remember rightly 51 pts went down. Gillingham had pretty much promotion form apart from the last few games.
The teams down there are pretty dreadful this year including us , anyone who can string a few results together will stay up . . .including Crewe who are still in it.

Agree that Gillingham made a good effort at the very end but for us to have had the February and March that we had and not gone down really says something about the other sides down there.

I think my point is that we knew last year that a couple of wins in the last eight should see us stay up - as it was I think it was a win and four draws.

This year, I just worry that Millwall and Sheff Wed have what it takes to match our results or better tham.

Obviously hope I'm wrong, and as you suggest, maybe three wins on the bounce would be the platform for us to stay up but I just think that lasy year we were definitely the fourth or fifth worst side in the division, this time it's hard to state a case that we're not in the worst two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here