Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor the Argus reporter.

Do you think Andy Naylor is doing a good job reporting all things Albion?

• No, I don't like the way he reports

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • Yes, I think he is covering things well

Votes: 43 46.2%
  • I am not sure what to think.

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Taxi!

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Struggling to see where the "shit stirring" is to be honest.
Has he said anything inaccurate over Hammondgate ?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
im not sure how he shit stirs to be honest when all he does is find a story and breaks them to the fans - especially on issues the club would more than likely try and sweep under the carpet

does a bloody good job in my opinion

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Struggling to see where the "shit stirring" is to be honest.
Has he said anything inaccurate over Hammondgate ?

exactly - he uncovers stories and issues the fans otherwise wouldn't know about, and puts them into the public domain. just seems to me that because he doesnt toe the club line, he is deemed to be shit stirring

exactly - he uncovers stories and issues the fans otherwise wouldn't know about, and puts them into the public domain. just seems to me that because he doesnt toe the club line, he is deemed to be shit stirring
What troubles people about Naylor is that he associates with REAL shit stirrers, like some of the players' agents. It's always interesting stuff, but it's often not presenting a fair view of the Club.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I think people will believe what they want to believe regardless of how the Argus paints it.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
He could be a good journalist if he did put his personal feelings as the ACTUAL truth.

Why does he STILL have to put McGhee's name in every article, and why make it so obvious he doesnt like Dick Knight - i.e. blaming Knight for Hammonds red card at Oldham

Yes it sells papers, but it winds the fans up, and could contribute to the low attendances

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bloody lournalists having opinions - whatever next ?

Brighton fans are so very touchy. He`s much better than John sycophant Vinnicombe thats for sure.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
What troubles people about Naylor is that he associates with REAL shit stirrers, like some of the players' agents. It's always interesting stuff, but it's often not presenting a fair view of the Club.
If I were a journo i too would be in the company of all sorts too! Crikey thats good work by him imo.

He presents opinions as facts

take for example todays' "... Hammond is currently serving a three-match ban which does not end until after the home game against Crewe on February 2 so he will almost certainly never play for the club again.

No quote from the club, the payer or even the agent.

And it doesn't sell papers. The Argus's sales figures have been falling for years as seen below rom "Hold The FrontPage" on 3 March 2006.

The Argus in Brighton has continued its slide, falling 8.3 per cent year-on-year. The newspaper has just launched its ‘Lite’ edition to bring the brand to more readers, concentrating on commuters. A change of edition structure from timed to geographic editions was made in August. Its circulation is now 35,195. There was a redesign at the start of 2004.

Last edited:

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
The club needs scrutinising. He scrutinises. It's his job. He'll listen to every source that comes to him. It's his job. He doesn't have to write nice things about the club. That's not his job. That's what the website is for. He is doing a reasonable job.

SW17

Jan 2, 2007
South London
To be Honest, if he was any good at his job, then surely he would be on a national newspaper by now, he's been doing this job for a good decade now and it would make sense to move up the ladder if he was good at it. Being a total cock doesn't help his cause though

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My take on it is the it's not that he's not telling the truth - largely he is.

It's just he doesn't tell the WHOLE truth.

Similarly, in this instance, I don't suppose Dean Hammond was too enamoured with having his contract story covered in the paper, I know the club certainly weren't. But what Naylor has done - via Hammond's agent - is to go public with the story, which serves little purpose apart from bringing into focus who people might choose who is the hero and who is the villain in this story - a scenario which isn't really necessary.

Meanwhile, Hammond, who is clearly at a crossroads as to what to do next in his career, has had the spotlight put on him to make his mind up. I suspect he would have preferred to make his mind up without that spotlight being placed on him.

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
i would say he tells the truth - you can tell that by dicks reaction to the phone in - come when is everyone going to wake up to the truth - can everyone be wrong and dick knight be right?

for christ's sake change the record, you whining nerd. The vast majority of fans (who don't come on this moanfest) support DK.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
He presents opinions as facts

take for example todays' "... Hammond is currently serving a three-match ban which does not end until after the home game against Crewe on February 2 so he will almost certainly never play for the club again.

No quote from the club, the payer or even the agent.

He's interpreting the facts for the purpose of analysis. And think about it -- he's probably right, isn't he?

And it doesn't sell papers. The Argus's sales figures have been falling for years as seen below rom "Hold The FrontPage" on 3 March 2006.

The Argus would sell far fewer without football stories in. The top two pages in local papers are, in order, deaths, and the back page.

The paper is lucky to have him, I reckon. The sports reporters on many local papers are inexperienced, greasy-haired, cheap-suited 22 year olds who earn about £14k.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He is doing his job, and doing it well... it is NOT his job to big-up the club, the board, the manager, or the players...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I used to be anti-Naylor but, increasingly, he seems to be getting to the bottom of the big issues at the club...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My take on it is the it's not that he's not telling the truth - largely he is.

It's just he doesn't tell the WHOLE truth.

Similarly, in this instance, I don't suppose Dean Hammond was too enamoured with having his contract story covered in the paper, I know the club certainly weren't. But what Naylor has done - via Hammond's agent - is to go public with the story, which serves little purpose apart from bringing into focus who people might choose who is the hero and who is the villain in this story - a scenario which isn't really necessary.

Meanwhile, Hammond, who is clearly at a crossroads as to what to do next in his career, has had the spotlight put on him to make his mind up. I suspect he would have preferred to make his mind up without that spotlight being placed on him.

Whether Hammond is happy or not with it being public is an issue he should take up with his agent and it is not Naylor's job to keep the club happy.

He does a good job and in the instance of Dean Hammond's contract he has written a story about a subject which is important to most Brighton fans. Isn't that his job?

He has no loyalty to the club or the players - he just writes about them. This is no different to the way the reporters on the argus newsdesk will write stories both positive and negative about Brighton City Council.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here