Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andrew Whing - Would You Play Him On Saturday?

Whing

• Play Whing, He is good enough

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Play Whing, give the lad what he wants

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • Play Hoyte

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Play Calderon

Votes: 95 61.7%
  • Something Else

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • FFS :rant:, ANOTHER Villa Thread

Votes: 10 6.5%

• Total voters

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Last season's player of the seaon, and now doesnt get a look in. Would you bring him back from the cold and give him a game to give him his dream of playing at Villa Park? Is there room for sentiment, is he better than Hoyte or Calderon? Will he rise to the big occasion?

If you were Gus, what would you do?

own-goal-flop-andrew-whing-442207470.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If Calderon was decent on Saturday, he should keep his place. I'd make sure Whing was on the bench though, and get him on somehow, even if it were only for a token time at the end.

There's room for a TINY bit of sentiment.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
By all accounts Calderon had a decent game didn't he? I'd say Whing has very little chance of playing unless we get a couple of injuries this week.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
As much as I would normally say sentiment should be left on the bench, I think there is a case for playing Whing.

Not suggesting either him or Calderon or Hoyte ever give less than 100 per cent BUT Whing will surely be more motivated.

If it was a league game, I would say no.

Cup game we will probably lose anyway? PLAY the CHIN-meister.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Andy Wing would LOVE it if he played on Saturday and would be well up for it. For that reason, would be good to see him play but tbh I don't think Gus will start with him

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Play Calderon and give Whingy 20 mins or so. Unless it's still a tight scoreline then we have to play to win/get replay. If we're 4-0 down at halftime though, bring him on!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Whing was one of the few players last season who showed any sort of passion for this club.

I certainly wouldn't begruge letting him play on Saturday.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Calderon played well, especially going forward in the first half. He did look knackered at the end, and did the most ridiculous "i cant be bothered to chase you so hack you down" challenge to get booked.

Whing must be raring to go, whole family wacthing and a massive occasion. He is not a bad player, but had not been playing well, but he always gives all his effort!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I feel sorry for Whingy, I don't think he was really any more responsible than any of the other back 4 in the 'Slade' era this season, confidence? Or is there something that Poyet does not like about him?

Hope he at least gets in the team for Saturday and is given a warm round of applause!

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Perhaps we should play McLeod as well? We don't want him to feel left out after all.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
No chance. Play your best right back which at the moment is Calderon.

For too long this club has been a charity and it finally seems as if Gus is changing this mentality.

We have a good away record and Villa have had a couple of slip ups recently. We should be playing to get some sort of result.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Slightly different, as I suspect you know.

McLeod is not very good and a bit fat.

Whing LOVES it and was our player of the year last season.

I do, my point was team selection should not be made on the basis on sentiment. Who are the best players to do the job? That should be the only criteria.

If Poyet believes that is Whing (which I doubt) then he should play. Otherwise he shouldn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here