Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andrew Murray - overhyped or the real deal?

Is Andrew Murray the real deal?

• Yes, he's going to be a Wimbledon winner and get into the World top 3

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • No - he's a British tennis player. Go figure...

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What do you reckon then? Breezed to his first final and gave Federer a stiff test. If you read the press, he's destined for glory. If you look at the rankings, he's number 72 - 37 places behind what Jeremy Bates managed in his prime.

So will he be the man behind British tennis glory or just another haggis munching knock-kneed Scottish pillock? :jester:

NSC decides...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He works hard, hates losing and has an arrogance and drive about him that suggests to me he could do very well.

He has the height but needs to bulk up and improve his stamina, which he will surely do as he is still only 18.

The biggest hurdle could be mental toughness. It will not be easy flying the flag alone, carrying the burden of a nation's hopes on his shoulders. I think if we can produce one or two more decent players and get a competitive Davis Cup team it might lighten the load.

I certainly reckon he'll reach a Grand Slam final but I can't see anyone winning anything while Federer is in this form.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
hes an undoubted talent....

has a great future in the game but unfortunately before he wins things i think he will have to wait for Federer to ritre from tennis and he seems to being setting new records each time he plays......

but nice to see a raw talent like murray....

certainly better and more personality than henman.....

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Has the potential, but the weight of expectation could be crippling. At least he's not another middle-class mummy's boy like Henman. Not sure he'll ever be as good as Top Three/Wimbledon winner, but I reckon he could get very close.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
He reached his first tour final 1 year before Federer and 3 years before Henman at comparable ages.

He's got the potential but is unfortunately a Jock.

Lets hope not then.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Pavilionaire said:
He works hard, hates losing and has an arrogance and drive about him that suggests to me he could do very well.

He has the height but needs to bulk up and improve his stamina, which he will surely do as he is still only 18.

The biggest hurdle could be mental toughness. It will not be easy flying the flag alone, carrying the burden of a nation's hopes on his shoulders. I think if we can produce one or two more decent players and get a competitive Davis Cup team it might lighten the load.

I certainly reckon he'll reach a Grand Slam final but I can't see anyone winning anything while Federer is in this form.

Wasnt yesterdays win Federers 32nd consecutive tourny win or something?

Re Murray, definately potential top 8 material, too early to say any more than that I think at this stage. Lacking in stamina though still very young. Also hes Scottish so not that fussed really

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
maffew said:
Wasnt yesterdays win Federers 32nd consecutive tourny win or something?

Re Murray, definately potential top 8 material, too early to say any more than that I think at this stage. Lacking in stamina though still very young. Also hes Scottish so not that fussed really

yeah that is correct....

and Federers 24th straight win in finals...

hes taken the game to a new level and is just a pleasure to watch....

one of the greats, all recoords are in danger of being smashed with him about, including sampras's 14 slams whatever it was.....

hail King Federer...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here