Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andrew Marr's History of Modern Britain

Lucky but her Governments were also the first to introduce policies incrementally, testing the water a little bit at a time. This approach worked very well, until the Poll Tax and Scotland. Blair has always adopted a similar approach, hence pilot projects all over the place.

leonidas

Go tell the Spartans
Jun 5, 2007
Surrounded by pubs
Hated Thatcher, in fact I have never known anyone as hated as her but I wanted her to beat the miners as Scargill was a threat to this countries democracy, AND he cost me my job back in the 70s. Miners strike (again) 3 day working week. No evening football matches as they were not allowed to use the floodlights so Albion are at home on a bloody Tuesday afternoon and I have been told by my boss that if I am missing that afternoon I will be sacked, so I told him to stick his job as the Albion are more important. thats how I was unemployed by Wed morning.
Bloody miners.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I've never understood why thatcher was so hated given the state of the country when she departed (and the lack of knowledge I have re her tenure), but last nights show certainly pointed out a few things!

leonidas

Go tell the Spartans
Jun 5, 2007
Surrounded by pubs
I've never understood why thatcher was so hated given the state of the country when she departed (and the lack of knowledge I have re her tenure), but last nights show certainly pointed out a few things!
tedebear.
This will sound hard to understand given the passage of time.
When the news of the bombing at the grand filtered through to the tea room of the steel fabrication factory that I worked in at the time it was greeted with a cheer and shouts of good the bitch is dead.
We all hoped it was the work of an English working class group fighting against the aristocrats in the guise of the Tories, for workers rights and against the war on the unions.
We were gutted when it turned out to be the bloody IRA as we hated them as much as the nobs did.

leonidas

Go tell the Spartans
Jun 5, 2007
Surrounded by pubs
tedebear.
This will sound hard to understand given the passage of time.
When the news of the bombing at the grand filtered through to the tea room of the steel fabrication factory that I worked in at the time it was greeted with a cheer and shouts of good the bitch is dead.
We all hoped it was the work of an English working class group fighting against the aristocrats in the guise of the Tories, for workers rights and against the war on the unions.
We were gutted when it turned out to be the bloody IRA as we hated them as much as the nobs did.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Anyone catch the episode on the 1980s/thatcherism tonight?

I thought it was pretty good, liked the bursts of 80s music in the soundtrack. There were a few Pet Shop Boys tracks, so I wonder if Marr is a fan.:lolol:

Probably more a fan of his brother's band, The Smiths.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here