Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andrew Crofts

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Navarro was superb against Walsall. Plays the deep midfielder role really well.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

no. they made him look decent. walsall's midfield played very deep, so he had no pressure on him. i still thought he looked rubbish though.

navarro has been terrible since day 1. very slow, doesn't show for the ball much, doesn't use it very well. and might as well not be there when we haven't got the ball. cox would be FAR better in that deep lying role in my view. he'd demand the ball all day long.

i agree with TLO, crofts has looked good all things considered.

Dosser

Feb 22, 2009

I felt that the Brighton attack was far too laboured against Walsall, and it seemed to me that a big reason for this was the fact that we insisted on building through Navarro.

When Walsall backed off, Navarro did indeed make the passes, but IMHO not enough of them were passes that actually hurt Walsall.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I thought Crofts had his best game on Satruday, definitely. I thought he did ok at Brentford too. Despite Navarro supposedly being the 'deep' midfielder Crofts was available for the ball much more, and made more tackles. I don't know if Navarro is still not fit but he looks pedestrian at the moment.

One thing that did disappoint though, on one of the goals, can't remember which now, the lob I think, he was chasing back with the man on the ball but just stopped dead about 5 yards outside the box and let him go on. Not that he was the only player at fault for the goal, but he shouldn't have done it.

Crofts was excellent on the weekend and I cant believe he came in for criticism and a rating of 1 from some tart! Dicker and Crofts in the midfield is a no brainier and i expect Slade will start with them on Friday.

A fully fit team of the following players looks quite tasty.
Smith
Whing
Virgo
Elphick
Mcnulty
Bennet
Crofts
Dicker
Cox
Forster
Dickinson

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I felt that the Brighton attack was far too laboured against Walsall, and it seemed to me that a big reason for this was the fact that we insisted on building through Navarro.

When Walsall backed off, Navarro did indeed make the passes, but IMHO not enough of them were passes that actually hurt Walsall.

True but you don't always need someone to put in those passes. You need a Makelele type to sit in front of the back 4 and keep possession. A job he did very well.

Mowgli

Sep 18, 2008
Brighton
Had some nice very nice touches and played pretty well considering, seems to be one of those players who does a lot of work and plays well but goes unnoticed, a bit like when Dicker first came on loan last season.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
True but you don't always need someone to put in those passes. You need a Makelele type to sit in front of the back 4 and keep possession. A job he did very well.
The majority of his passes in that game were backwards though, so many times he just went 5 yards back to Whing who would then lump it forward himself. I think Dicker plays this role far more effectively, because his distribution is intelligent rather than always being the simplest pass even if it goes nowhere, which is what I thought Navarro did in that game.

Dosser

Feb 22, 2009

Perhaps, but given that we were trying to build attacks through him, I can only assume that we were expecting him to make the passes that would hurt the opposition...

I have no doubt that over the season his ability to keep the ball will be valuable - particularly away from home. That said, I believe Walsall were there to be beaten, and we were chasing the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here