Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And You Thought YOU Had Problems.....

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
From the BBC:

STORE DROP OUT OF STADIUM PLAN

A store chain named by developers for a retail park around Cardiff City's proposed new football stadium says it does not plan to go to the site.

Discount clothing firm Matalan was named as one of the shops in a planning application to the local council in January, but it is no longer on the list. "Matalan have no plans to go to the site in Cardiff," said a spokesman.

A Matalan store was included in stadium plans which received approval from Cardiff Council in January. The £100m scheme would see several large retail stores open alongside the new 30,000-seat stadium over the road from the club's existing Ninian Park ground.

The developers Capital and Regional would not comment when asked what this meant for the future of the development. They referred to a statement made several weeks ago, saying that the stadium was going ahead as planned.

In the plans, Matalan was guaranteed one of the plots of up to 35,000 sq ft to sell goods such as clothing, household goods and pottery at the site in the Leckwith area of the city.

In a statement to BBC Wales, Matalan said the overall site developer, Capital and Regional, applied for the planning permission, rather than Matalan itself.

A company spokesman said: "An application was put in in January by the developer, not Matalan. Matalan have no plans to go to the site in Cardiff."

The company's decision not to take part in the scheme means only shops selling similar goods can take over Matalan's place at the site under the present council planning permission.

The council planning recommendation in January stated: "In the event that Matalan were to close or relocate from this development...the floorspace would revert to the bulky goods consent already permitted."

The Cardiff City stadium development plans have suffered a series of delays, but following the granting of planning permission for the retail development in January, the club had hoped that work on the stadium could begin in May this year.

Earlier this month, Cardiff Council leader Rodney Berman said there was "clear resolve" to deliver the stadium after meeting club owner Sam Hammam and chief executive David Temme to discuss delays to the project.

The retail scheme is central to the stadium being built and Cardiff City's future plans. The club plan to redevelop their current Ninian Park ground for housing.

The club, which has a £30m debt, has been forced to sell captain Graham Kavanagh to ease their financial problems. Staff were also not paid on time earlier in March.

Meanwhile, Cardiff City have appointed former Leeds United chairman Peter Ridsdale as "a structure and financial consultant" on a three-month contract.

Mr Ridsdale, who was recruited as an adviser by the club in February, was chairman of Leeds when they ran into financial trouble in the Premiership.

:nono: :eek: :nono: :eek: :nono: :eek: :nono:

Ridsdale to the rescue? We're doomed!

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Oh dear. Sorry to hear that. Best of luck.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Quick ask Barnsley how they managed to get rid of him without going out of business.

spidey

Jun 17, 2004
B Hill
Bad news re Ridsdale, but what's wrong with Ninian for Championship/League 1 football?

PS: I haven't been there

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Theatre of Trees said:
Has he got anywhere to put the fish?

We kept the fish! Well they went home with the secretary.

Can't say I'm sad for Cardiff, no time whatsoever for my good friend Pete anymore and just as little time for Cardiff.

Though I do see publicity Peter has been at it already on 5 live.

"We are a big club" - When you've finished they'll be a 'Non-existant club'

"No reason why we can't build and fill a 60,000 seater stadium" - 'Bit like the New Leeds Stadium, eh Pete.

"Sleeping giant" - persistant vegetative state was the phrase I think you meant.

Just waiting for him to say you're going to 'Live the dream'.

Am sorry for you though LB. Good luck and god bless, Hammam and Ridsdale what a partnership.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Starry said:
Am sorry for you though LB. Good luck and god bless, Hammam and Ridsdale what a partnership.

Don't feel sorry for me! Football is supposed to be an entertainment business, and this season has been just about the most entertaining I can ever remember at Ninian Park. We really haven't known what's going to happen down there from one day's end to the next! Great stuff.

I went down to the club this afternoon to buy a couple more tickets for friends for the Wigan game. Season ticket holders can bring as many guests as they like to the match for £5 a shot. I've bought an extra ten tickets so far. And the sale in the club shop is fantastic. I rarely buy replica shirts, but today I bought myself the home and away shirts for £10 each. Also got a great Puma t-shirt for £12 and a lovely sweatshirt for £15. In my opinion we should have ourselves a serious financial crisis every season! It's like Christmas come early.....

Hammam and Ridsdale - come on girl, it's a match made in Heaven! Bigger than Barcelona? In six months we'll be lucky to be as big as Bury!

:lolol: :thumbsup: :lolol:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's nasty when straw clutching comes around, we wouldn't have encountered the scum called Archer if we weren't desperate.

Keep the faith LB.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Bloody hell, I didn't think it could get any worse for Cardiff. Why on earth would anyone want to employ Ridsdale as a financial consultant given his past record?

My condolences, TLB.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Surely bringing in Ridsdale as financial consultant is just like asking Michael Jackson if he wouldn't mind babysitting for an hour while you pop to the shops....

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Cash-strapped Cardiff City have asked for help in paying wages from the Professional Footballers' Association.
The club found itself unable to pay its monthly wage bill of £750,000 in February and was forced to sell skipper Graham Kavanagh to rivals Wigan.

PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor said: "Cardiff have asked for financial help.

"We're providing financial help to keep things going, not just to the end of the season but hopefully in the long run and beyond."

The Ninian Park club is fighting for its future with estimated debts of more than £30m.

Store pulls out of stadium plan

Owner Sam Hammam has blamed the problems on delays to the construction of a new 30,000-seater stadium and accompanying retail park.

Bluebirds fans feared that Kavanagh's shock departue last month for £400,000 was just the start of a fire sale of playing talent.

But no more have followed the Republic of Ireland midfielder out the door, with the club even signing Neil Ardley for free and taking Michael Boulding on loan before Thursday's transfer deadline.

"There's no point just cashing in on your best players and then finding you've disenchanted supporters and you've got no future," Taylor added.

"They're battling to stay in the Championship and if Cardiff can do that they will get a much better income.

"The situation will be assessed at the end of the season."

Well why the f*** sign 2 more players to increase the wage bill?

Am i being stupid or are people at this club f***ing THICK?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It always annoys me when a club pleading poverty can get in players while a club like us who budgets properly struggles.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
:salute: que sera cardiff, but don't go cap in hand to the pfa for a handout, didnt sammy boy help himself to a couple of hundred thou a few weeks back...FFS ???

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Oh Come on, let bygones be bygones, the past is the past. CCFC are going through it amd remember the Soul Crew ae not the prime representatives of Cardiff.

They're in trouble having been lied to, have a heart.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i think the pfa bailing them out is a bit rich though,i mean ridsdale isnt working for nout is he...? And they have just increased their monthly wage bill by 20,000 quid.......................got a bloody cheek if you ask me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here