Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] And to think..........

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I was one of them! Yes I would have taken going back to the Championship as long as we kept GP because I love the way we play. I strongly disagreed with those who wanted us to adapt a more pragmatic defensive approach and probably have to change manager if we wanted to stay up. I have never thought we’d go down though.

Of course it is worth considering that in many ways we have actually gone to a more pragmatic, defensive approach. Largely this has been through necessity (losing March and Lamptey naturally blunted our attacking instinct from the back) and we've moved to more of a back four rather than a back three. At some points this season we have been pretty soft at the back and teams have picked us off, we've improved in this regard over the last couple of months and it's bought the results. There is a happy medium between the gung-ho swashbuckling football which leaves you exposed as we have been guilty of at times (the results show this didn't work) and playing Tony Pulis-style anti-football.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
A lot of ‘New Albion’ seem to have forgotten where we have come from, those at Edgar street will never forget, those that traveled to the arse end of Kent regularly won’t forget.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Junior's not wrong, we could do with winding it in a teensy weensy bit, but blimey Charlie gotta wonder where his heart is.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Junior's not wrong, we could do with winding it in a teensy weensy bit, but blimey Charlie gotta wonder where his heart is.

Not really. No-one's specifically saying that after one result we're CL contenders, in the same way that no-one is saying City should be in the relegation zone after losing to a #TeamLikeBrighton.

There was seemingly no chance that result was happening last night, especially not after going 2-0 down. Every Brighton supporter has every right to enjoy the moment, beating the big-spending champions of the country – and possible Europe.

Regardless of who from their team was playing or rested, what they had to play for (they're professionals – every game matters) or the fact that they were down to 10 men (it's Manchester City, they normally hammer us with 11, so it pretty much made the teams even).

People, like the insufferable bellend that is Junior, who don't get that, don't understand supporting a #TeamLikeBrighton

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A win by one goal against a 10 man team with nothing to play for. Never seen so much over hype as what there is on here at the moment.

You can only beat what's put in front of you, which was a team packed full of Premier League regulars on huge salaries

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For us to have done that against Sheffield United earlier in the season when it mattered.

I take your point, but the football world isn't going to give a shit about us beating the Blades but it does take notice when we come back to beat the Champions from 2-0 down and Pep's team only have 37% possession.

When you bump into English folks on holiday, they ask you who you support and you say Brighton it is results like last night that earn you respect, like you belong in the Prem.

There would be no point playing 4 years in the Prem without leaving some sort of positive impression, and I think this has been a breakthrough season for us in that regard.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not really. No-one's specifically saying that after one result we're CL contenders, in the same way that no-one is saying City should be in the relegation zone after losing to a #TeamLikeBrighton.

There was seemingly no chance that result was happening last night, especially not after going 2-0 down. Every Brighton supporter has every right to enjoy the moment, beating the big-spending champions of the country – and possible Europe.

Regardless of who from their team was playing or rested, what they had to play for (they're professionals – every game matters) or the fact that they were down to 10 men (it's Manchester City, they normally hammer us with 11, so it pretty much made the teams even).

People, like the insufferable bellend that is Junior, who don't get that, don't understand supporting a #TeamLikeBrighton

Which I why I'm not parroting Jnr (can you imagine taking his side!) despite there being a little voice saying 'yeah but...'.

T'was a great result, packed full of performances, rounded off with a BDB goal and me taking money from Bet365, if Carlsberg...

My takeaway from the game was:-

'can they please get to 40 points quicker, so they can play like that for more of next season, so Jnr et al, can be knobs about Top 10 and not relegation'.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

100% this. Wind it in a teensy bit ? We've just come from 2-0 down to beat the champions - who in 4 seasons we haven't laid a glove on. BDB scored. We had a crowd in and the atmosphere was brilliant. Still buzzing now (and idly flicking through yet replays of the goals)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Well said [emoji482]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
100% this. Wind it in a teensy bit ? We've just come from 2-0 down to beat the champions - who in 4 seasons we haven't laid a glove on. BDB scored. We had a crowd in and the atmosphere was brilliant. Still buzzing now (and idly flicking through yet replays of the goals)

Just a teensy bit, certainly not all the way, not to the point of Junior's world, where all you can see is the 'yeah but'.
But just enough to recognise the fact there are at least 3 'yeah buts'.

Get them at home early next season and

BRING

IT

ON. - No fear now. :rave:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Of course it is worth considering that in many ways we have actually gone to a more pragmatic, defensive approach. Largely this has been through necessity (losing March and Lamptey naturally blunted our attacking instinct from the back) and we've moved to more of a back four rather than a back three. At some points this season we have been pretty soft at the back and teams have picked us off, we've improved in this regard over the last couple of months and it's bought the results. There is a happy medium between the gung-ho swashbuckling football which leaves you exposed as we have been guilty of at times (the results show this didn't work) and playing Tony Pulis-style anti-football.

We have gone toe to toe with everyone since GP arrived. We are now playing as he wants us to and looking more solid. It’s been a learning process. Maybe the “We’ll learn from this” after a defeat will stop being derided and laughed at. Well I live in hope anyway. You don’t take a relegation threatened team and totally change the style of play without bumps along the way. We’ll have more next season but fingers crossed we’ll continue to show more improvement.

Struggling to think of a single game where we have taken a more pragmatic defensive approach

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Which I why I'm not parroting Jnr (can you imagine taking his side!) despite there being a little voice saying 'yeah but...'.

T'was a great result, packed full of performances, rounded off with a BDB goal and me taking money from Bet365, if Carlsberg...

My takeaway from the game was:-

'can they please get to 40 points quicker, so they can play like that for more of next season, so Jnr et al, can be knobs about Top 10 and not relegation'.

We've played that well for most of the season to be fair. We've not always had the ref look our way always fairly, or had a rebound straight back to the player who miss-hit his first shot, or the opposition blazing over in the final minute when we've gifted them the ball. :shrug:

That's football, a 1-2 defeat to Palace is a disaster requiring a managerial change a 3-2 win against City and we're back to talking as if something has been transformed. In my book our GD and number of defeats tells you where we really are in the table. We probably played better in the game at home to Palace (as an example) than last night - those are the breaks I guess.

But with you all the way on having a good start. Be nice to be well clear of 17th early in the season and stay there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here