Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And to think some on here thought we might lose Poyet to Chelsea or Spurs

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Can't cut it at this level, let alone anything higher. Lets face it, the honeymoon is over, the penny has dropped with a lot of fans ( apart from the 'in Gus we trust ' brigade ) that we have a manager who is nowhere near as good as people thought he was.
For the second season running we have been rumbled. Three wins in seventeen games is not a blip. It is the wheels coming off, just like last season. We can't beat anyone decent at home ( certainly not in the top half ) We go a goal down and know we are not going to win the game ( it was the same at Withdean, in our Championship winning season )
Regularly picking the wrong formations ( playing Lopez and Orlandi together !!! )Settling for a point when we should be going flat out to win games. Tactically naive and too cautious. Far too ready to blame the players ( he signed them, he decided the tactics, he motivated them...or not! ) Ridiculous non-existent penalty strategy. Too much histrionics on the touch-line. All this appealing to the crowd, arms akimbo....." I've told them what to do and they are not carrying out my instructions " stuff.
Charisma, being a good salesperson and likeability have got him so far. Now he is in the spotlight and under pressure for the first time. Fans are now turning against him. They are not seeing any progression. We all know we have a stronger squad than last season but nothing is changing.
There are managers in this division who are cuter and cleverer than Gus. He is being out-thought. Is he learning? Is he progressing as a manager? Are his assistants good enough?
Sadly, I believe the answer is no to all these questions.

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
Agree that assistants may not be good enough but who do people seriously think would come in to replace Gus?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Although we have a stronger squad none seem to be playing in their best position in which lies the problem ... why buy a striker to play midfield

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Agree that assistants may not be good enough but who do people seriously think would come in to replace Gus?

Though I'm not a "Gus Out " person,I think there'd be an avalanche of applicants for the job,not to say anything about those we might try to "buy".( Or those who are expert at Football Manager.)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Are you actually suggesting that Gus is irreplaceable? We would being doing better under the following Championship managers.
Holloway, Mowbray, Mackay, Zola, Warnock, McCarthy, Grayson and O'Driscoll ( yes, I know he's ex ) and thats just for starters.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Can't cut it at this level, let alone anything higher. Lets face it, the honeymoon is over, the penny has dropped with a lot of fans ( apart from the 'in Gus we trust ' brigade ) that we have a manager who is nowhere near as good as people thought he was.
For the second season running we have been rumbled. Three wins in seventeen games is not a blip. It is the wheels coming off, just like last season. We can't beat anyone decent at home ( certainly not in the top half ) We go a goal down and know we are not going to win the game ( it was the same at Withdean, in our Championship winning season )
Regularly picking the wrong formations ( playing Lopez and Orlandi together !!! )Settling for a point when we should be going flat out to win games. Tactically naive and too cautious. Far too ready to blame the players ( he signed them, he decided the tactics, he motivated them...or not! ) Ridiculous non-existent penalty strategy. Too much histrionics on the touch-line. All this appealing to the crowd, arms akimbo....." I've told them what to do and they are not carrying out my instructions " stuff.
Charisma, being a good salesperson and likeability have got him so far. Now he is in the spotlight and under pressure for the first time. Fans are now turning against him. They are not seeing any progression. We all know we have a stronger squad than last season but nothing is changing.
There are managers in this division who are cuter and cleverer than Gus. He is being out-thought. Is he learning? Is he progressing as a manager? Are his assistants good enough?
Sadly, I believe the answer is no to all these questions.

I hope your wrong but I tend to agree with most of your points. I have deliberately waited a few hours to read all the posts after the game. I go to the Amex to be entertained win-lose or draw. I can't say I've enjoyed much of whats been on offer recently. As soon as I saw the team Gus started with I said why are we playing Macca up on his own again. Then I remembered I've been saying that for a season and a half!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here