Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And now for something completely different: The Flaming Lips. Help required.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Clouds Taste Metallic as a follow-up if you like one of the more accessible albums. Watch The Fearless Freaks as well. The Steven Drozd scene always gets me going...

I think I want to check out their weird stuff. I've ordered the 4 -CD thingy. I sense this will be a good place to start. I've also managed to rope in a friend to help me with the play back. Just need two more chums with portable CD players now.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
One band I've been meaning to see live for YEARS. Everyone I know that has seen them has said it was the best gig ever.

Thankfully I should finally catch them at Bestival, unless they clash with Ritchie Hawtin that is.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
I think I want to check out their weird stuff. I've ordered the 4 -CD thingy. I sense this will be a good place to start. I've also managed to rope in a friend to help me with the play back. Just need two more chums with portable CD players now.

I love the Lips, but even I found Zairika hard going. Soft Bulletin is their best work, probably followed by Clouds, then Yoshimi - THEN SEE THEM LIVE AND YOUR LIFE WILL CHANGE FOREVER!

Like all of their albums, but alongside everybody else here, I would have to say you need The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi... next (I prefer the former, but it's a very tight decision).

Oh, and unlike some others on here, I would have to say do not, whatever you do, go and see them live. After doing so, I found it impossible to listen to any of their albums for about 6 months after - the experience had completely ruined them for me. They were awful - easily the most disappointed I have ever been at a gig. Every song played note-for-note as they are on the album (so what's the point?), stupid and naive wittering between songs (yeah, suicide is stupid ... that's genius that is ... if we all chant it, perhaps there'll be no more suicide ... twats), all wrapped up in the feeling of a child's birthday party. Utterly, utterly moronic.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Like all of their albums, but alongside everybody else here, I would have to say you need The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi... next (I prefer the former, but it's a very tight decision).

Oh, and unlike some others on here, I would have to say do not, whatever you do, go and see them live. After doing so, I found it impossible to listen to any of their albums for about 6 months after - the experience had completely ruined them for me. They were awful - easily the most disappointed I have ever been at a gig. Every song played note-for-note as they are on the album (so what's the point?), stupid and naive wittering between songs (yeah, suicide is stupid ... that's genius that is ... if we all chant it, perhaps there'll be no more suicide ... twats), all wrapped up in the feeling of a child's birthday party. Utterly, utterly moronic.

Sounds like somebody needs a hug.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Can't believe no one has mentioned Transmissions from the Satellite Heart.

The Day They Shot a Hole in the Jesus Egg (compilation including In a Priest Driven Ambulance) is excellent too.

Whilst their later stuff is indeed excellent, why people ignore their earlier stuff is beyond me.

tedlit

Nov 18, 2006
Scotland (just)
Saw them at the Astoria (RIP) several years ago w/ Bob Mould. Terrifyingly good.

I prefer the older stuff - Clouds Taste Metallic and Priest Driven Ambulance have already been mentioned. Telepathic Surgery is strange, but also genius - check out Chrome Plated Suicide - it's largely based on Sweet Child O'Mine (yes, really).

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Can't believe no one has mentioned Transmissions from the Satellite Heart.

The Day They Shot a Hole in the Jesus Egg (compilation including In a Priest Driven Ambulance) is excellent too.

Whilst their later stuff is indeed excellent, why people ignore their earlier stuff is beyond me.

Have to agree 100%. I love the earlier stuff, I felt they lost their way a bit after Soft Bulletin but Embryonic was a massive return to form.

In a similar vein the first Mercury Rev album is vastly superior to their later stuff, it is just the Guardian/Uncut music mafia did not know about them then.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Have to agree 100%. I love the earlier stuff, I felt they lost their way a bit after Soft Bulletin but Embryonic was a massive return to form.

In a similar vein the first Mercury Rev album is vastly superior to their later stuff, it is just the Guardian/Uncut music mafia did not know about them then.

Yes, Yerself Is Steam and Boces are both overlooked masterpieces.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here