Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And as the last glory hunting southern Chelsea fan turns their head in shame...

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I know a lad who's gone the other way.
He was a Chelsea fan all his life cos his dad supported them. He went to as many games as he could, brought the shirt, the mug, the t shirt, the £30 a year membership etc. Untill begining of this season he became so disaffected by the cost & everything else associated with the club he's just stopped supporting them.

Him and his mates go to watch Aldershot Town now & have a far better time than they ever did at the Bridge.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What always interests me about these "fans" is that if their reasoning behind supporting Chelsea is basically that they are the best, and win things, at what point to they stop supporting them because they are not those things anymore, and do you end up supporting what was you arch top of teh table rival Man Utd because all of those things now apply to them. Or do they have to choose a team that is successful, but NOT Man Utd, so I presume they become Man City fans.

Because the thinking behind it is so alien to me, I'm actually quite interested by what makes these people tick.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
More Chelsea shirts in Tunbridge Wells than anything else by a mile. The odd Brighton shirt. It makes me die inside a little bit every time I see one. OK - Brighton isn't the nearest club but there are LOTS of clubs worthy of support (almost) round here that are far more interesting than Chelski.

Brighton's about the second best supported club in TW though, isn't it TRHK? I was birdwatching by the A26 at Ramslye (some rare birds had turned up in trees there - waxwings) on the day of an Albion game when I wasn't a STH and car after car went past with drivers in Albion shirts. I was surprised how much support we got there.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
There do seem to be a lot fo fans up this way. Not sure why (other than the inevitable draw of the best club in the world). I doubt we're the #2 club - think Palace, Charlton, West Ham get quite a lot of support up here. But there is certainly a substantial latent support for BHA which Falmer looks like igniting. All of which makes it marginally less unpleasant to live in Kent.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
What always interests me about these "fans" is that if their reasoning behind supporting Chelsea is basically that they are the best, and win things, at what point to they stop supporting them because they are not those things anymore, and do you end up supporting what was you arch top of teh table rival Man Utd because all of those things now apply to them. Or do they have to choose a team that is successful, but NOT Man Utd, so I presume they become Man City fans.

Because the thinking behind it is so alien to me, I'm actually quite interested by what makes these people tick.

Me too. I guess it very much depends on what you actually want to get out of supporting a football side. If you want to watch a team that wins things then you can't support the same club forever because success is not always lasting. If you want to watch attractive football, do you change when the manager changes and the philosophy alters?

Personally, I am happy supporting the club I love. Fortunately for me, there's rarely a quiet moment as a Brighton fan!

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I respect your sentiment Brighton TID but these people wouldn't actually support a local football team in then sense that they would actually attend matches and enjoy the passion of the live game cheering on their local club. Generally they 'support' Chelsea, Man U or whoever because it brings a degree of (albeit misguided) success in their lives by saying they follow a successful club and is something they do in front of the TV at home. It's two completely different things....so I tend not to concern myself with it or believe they are doing the wrong thing.

Absolutely spot-on.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

They are applying the logic that a lot of people (even football fans) have with music. They are 'fans' of a band that they think produces the best music. Once the quality of the music fades, they start to waver. If the band produces two crap albums in succession, these music listeners might consider that they "used to like the band". After all, what's the point of listening to crap music? From this standpoint, what's the point of watching a football team that produces football of a mediocre quality?

Last edited:

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
Brighton's about the second best supported club in TW though, isn't it TRHK? I was birdwatching by the A26 at Ramslye (some rare birds had turned up in trees there - waxwings) on the day of an Albion game when I wasn't a STH and car after car went past with drivers in Albion shirts. I was surprised how much support we got there.

I would say that Brighton has a good sized support from the TW area - at least from supporters who actually attend games. In my place of work there's a few of us. Partly of my doing, I'm proud to say.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
If I had 72p for every person I saw in town on Boxing Day wearing Chelsea hats, coats etc. I'd have a hell of a lot of 72ps. If you're going to be a plastic and throw your lot in with a Premiership team at least support one with a bit of bloody soul rather than going along with all the other lemmings who've been down to SportsDirect.com for their tedious Chelsea merchandise. Even the team I detest more than any other on the planet - THFC - would be more interesting than Chelsea, or how about Man City? or Blackpool even?

Applause required here

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
why are brighton fans so obsessed with people from the area supporting anyone else...its really pathetic.

So f***ing what if people support other clubs....

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'd have thought it would be more acceptable to have Chelsea fans in the south, because I could have sworn they are from the south of England? Or did I miss something? Did London move north? Perhaps this would be more akin to the Liverpewl and Man Ure 'supporters' in the south of England? Think it is a bit unfair to sweep all Chelsea supporters into the same category of glory hunters. There are many Londoners that have moved to the south coast and brought their allegiances with them, and see no difference from Brighton supporters (myself) taking theirs to other areas of the country. I know many Chelsea supporters that have seen the club through thick and thin in the past 40 years, and think some of the comments are a little harsh. Those supporters then want to see their kids, quite naturally, support dads club. I would love to see Brighton supporters en masse in places like London, as it will prove the success of the club, and I don't think too many here would complain about the added support. Success breeds it.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ive noticed Indian colleagues in India on my FB saying things like... we need Drogba to step up today....

Makes me laugh anyway....
I can almost understand them... ie..supporting a club team....
What I dont get is Czech men wearing English football shirts, tracksuits, jackets, hats etc....
Just cant get my head round wearing another countries colours...ive lived in a few euro countries, and
there is no way I would wear a Dutch, Belgian, German or Czech national team shirt....

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I agree although perhaps wouldn't be so harsh about it. :lolol:

you appear to be quite new here...we have had this for bloody years on here!

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
why are brighton fans so obsessed with people from the area supporting anyone else...its really pathetic.

So f***ing what if people support other clubs....

We need the local kids to support Brighton, buy Brighton merchandise, buy Brighton tickets, keep us alive in the future. Why line the pockets of another club? However, I accept that this in some way contradicts my first post as it shouldn't be all about money.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Ive noticed Indian colleagues in India on my FB saying things like... we need Drogba to step up today....

Makes me laugh anyway....
I can almost understand them... ie..supporting a club team....
What I dont get is Czech men wearing English football shirts, tracksuits, jackets, hats etc....
Just cant get my head round wearing another countries colours...ive lived in a few euro countries, and
there is no way I would wear a Dutch, Belgian, German or Czech shirt....

So you've never seen Brits in Milan club shirts? Real shirts? Barca shirts? Think you'll find a lot of it, and I mean outside London. Come into London, different kettle of fish... shirts from every big club in the world thanks to multi-culturalism!!

Yeah haven't seen NSC for long GW, and I know what your saying... I just found the way you put it funny.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
So you've never seen Brits in Milan club shirts? Real shirts? Barca shirts? Think you'll find a lot of it, and I mean outside London. Come into London, different kettle of fish... shirts from every big club in the world thanks to multi-culturalism!!

Yeah haven't seen NSC for long GW, and I know what your saying... I just found the way you put it funny.

Yeah, like I say, I can almost understand supporting club teams from other countries...still makes me laugh though...its the wearing of another countries national colours that confuses me the most.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
A lot of fans adopted English/British emblems during the times that violence plagued the game, as some sort of warped badge of honour. I met some Anderlecht fans who had t-shirts made up with the Union Flag and the words "O-side Anderlecht, these colours don't run!"...and I don't think it had anything to do with putting them in a washing machine!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here