Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ancestry.co.uk

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Well you can always answer that question yourself by taking advantage of their 2 week free trial. I assume they are still doing it.

From my experience, I only had it for the trial and found it very very interesting. Not sure it's worth paying for it for long though as you can only find out so much.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Anyone on here ever used the above? Any views as to if its worth the fee? Looking to trace a Marriage record from days gone by.

I have been on there for about a year now and can say it is very good if a little expensive but in the year I have been on there I have gone back many generations
look out for the free month you might just find what you want in that time

good luck

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
It's a good place to start doing your family tree but once over that stage getting further details required the old fashioned way of drilling down to details.

Personally I used it to get started, get the main bulk of the tree built/checked then cancelled (no point paying then on for me). Do NOT rely on everything being gospel/correct but plug at it and you get the picture of what's right and what isn't. For example In my family, it had great uncle with the wrong DOB and others with wrong marriage and/or death dates and mispelling of some names.

A great resource (if available) once you've got the basic tree mapped out is older family members. Speak to them. :)

That was a fair few years ago, maybe I will re-visit to see if more info has been added.

Golden Oldie

Feb 10, 2004
Ancestry is probably the best of the Genealogy subscription sites, but if you do go for it:
- If you are looking just to use the Free offer, you'll still have to provide a Card number, and make sure you cancel before the "free" time is up, otherwise you'll find you have paid for a full year. Also, there are various levels of subscriptions so make sure you don't pay for more than you need.

If you are only looking to trace a marriage, Ancestry may well not be what you need. It depends when the marriage took place. The official Registers started from September 1837, and you can search the Indices for free at:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/.

If you find the right one, you can then order a copy of the marriage cert via:

Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service

If the marriage took place before 1837, it may come up on Ancestry, but the most commonly used alternative is Free Family History and Genealogy Records FamilySearch.org. This is run by the Mormons, but don't be put off by that. They have extracted millions of Parish Records and made them available free of charge on line. Accuracy not guaranteed but still saves traipsing round couny Record Office!

I have the Worldwide Ancestry sub, so happy to check a one off name/marriage if required.

I'm a longstanding user of the Ancestry site and am finding that there are more and more detailed records being made available on the site as time goes by - far more than the basic births, marriages and deaths stuff.

For example ... The National Probate Calendar (1858 - 1966) that tells you where and when your ancestors died, and reveals the value of the estate they left behind.

Here's the entry for John Jackson, Albion's first manager:-

JACKSON John of the Running Horse, King-street Brighton died 19 June 1932 Probate Lewes 15 July to John Jackson licensed victualler. Effects £256 16s 2d

... proving that there was no money to be made out of either football or running a pub, back in those days. The second John is presumably son of the first.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Ancestry provides an index to marriages in England and Wales from 1837, for a fee. They do not provide the marriage details. The same service is also provided by:

Research your family history today | Online Genealogy | Findmypast.co.uk
and
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

If you want the full marriage details, then you need a copy of the original certificate.

If you want the details of a marriage prior to 1837, then you need to search the parish record. Findmypast might be able to help you with this, if the parish entry has been entered there, as might Ancestry.co.uk. Some parish registers have been entered in:
Free Family History and Genealogy Records FamilySearch.org

but not all of these records have been indexed and you may have to trawl through scanned microfilms.

What is the parish and era concerned? (PM me for help if you like.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here