Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An Observation About Mark Chapman

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Erm, people in 200 years time will be listening to their songs, like people now listen to Bach and Mozart. No-one will be saying that about the likes of Westlife or some boring dullard appealing to bored teenage suburban porridge-faced chavs by talking about guns over the top of an old James Brown record.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
In that case you can say Westlife changed popular music, 'cause every single fucker in the charts now sounds like them.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not to gang up with old Hip Hop Harry over here but I never understood why everyone seems to love the Beatles, it's almost as if you have to sometimes. They were not a patch on Buddy Holly who was the real influence back in them days as far as pop music was concerned. The Beatles were a group with some poppy tunes that had choruses that you can sing a long to. Nothing more.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I dont love em at all, maybe a few of their songs BUT I think they did revolutionise the music scene at the time!

It due to this they will always be in the History books and due to no. of singles/albums they sold!

On that alone you cannot argue!

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
MICKEY....you start off a thread with a contentious statement and then when people answer you, you suggest that you didn't expect a debate.

:jester:

There are two pieces of music I would happily have played at my funeral:

In My Life - the Beatles
LaCrimosa - Mozart's Requiem

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Nah, you want Bill Hayley and The Comets : See yer Later Alligator

:lolol:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I LOVE that Lachrymosa, and the whole of Wolfie's requiem. Awesome.

Let's have a classical music chat! Who's the best of the big three: DJ Wolfie Mozza, MC "Deafo" Ludwig van or from da old-skool, Jam masta Johann Sebastian?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Interesting

A thread about the murder of a famous person and whether their killer has been given fair treatment has become - Were the boy bands of the 60's better than the 90's/00's

I know we have quite a diverse message board but now its happenning mid thread

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
dave the gaffer said:
MICKEY....you start off a thread with a contentious statement and then when people answer you, you suggest that you didn't expect a debate.

Huh? What i clearly stated was that the debate is SPECIFICALLY focussed on Mark Chapman and NOT the general issue of whether life should mean life.

:jester:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
To add my real views I don't think life should mean life in all cases, it should be studied case by case. Chapman should be out by now.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
gazwag said:
I know we have quite a diverse message board but now its happenning mid thread

now its happening? thats been happening for ages, some of the best threads ever start out with one topic but have about 3 or 4 incarnations along the way :lolol:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I don't listen to the Beatles because they have very little to say to me personally. Love, love, love etc. I live in the overly cynical noughties. It all seems a bit trite and earnest nowadays.
Perfectly bland pop though.

If Chapman ('s the saviour) is a danger to society and insane, then he should be kept in suitable surroundings. If not, he should be released just like all the other murderers who murder the poor.

Last edited:

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Chapman was an entirely innocuous hippy-dippy who loved The Beatles and, indeed, all of mankind, until he was drafted into the Army, then ventured to the Far East where he was chosen for Manchurian Candidate-style mind-conditioning by the CIA after their failure to get Fidel Castro to blow himself up with a cunningly-planted explosive cigar. . .

About as credible as the self-indulgent arguments by oh-so-radical Beatles decryers, who always seem to me like people who bombastically boast about how they hate football. . . Singles band? Boy band? Relic from the past? No chance. The Beatles, singly and jointly, will have their every note pored over by the finest minds for centuries to come - yet sound as fresh and vital to the whole world for evermore. . .

Amen.

Yeah yeah yeah!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The Northstander said:
He was totally on a different planet. inventing his own little world with strange little people (toy figures)!!

I may be wrong but I think he also felt Lennon was evil and needed assasinating!! Reports from his school suggested he was a weirdo there too!!

:nono:

Didn't he do it after reading the Catcher In The Rye ?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Meade's_Ball said:
I don't listen to the Beatles because they have very little to say to me personally. Love, love, love etc. I live in the overly cynical noughties. It all seems a bit trite and earnest nowadays.
Perfectly bland pop though.

If Chapman ('s the saviour) is a danger to society and insane, then he should be kept in suitable surroundings. If not, he should be released just like all the other murderers who murder the poor.

The Beatles legacy was turning the album into an art form. Love them or hate them they heavily influenced most things that cam eafter it for the next 30 years (as did other bands, I hasten to add).

By the sound of it Chapman is still a danger to the public at large.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here