Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An Leyton Orient fans view of the upcoming season...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
A well thought out article and bearing in mind an Os fan really quite balanced as well.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
...better than anything the British press will produce.

That's right, unbeknown to you all, I have been secretly preparing a massive League One preview, in which I deeply analyse the chances of every team for the coming season. Many things as possible have been factored in, such as players in the side, their compatibility as a team, adeptness of the manager, how settled the side is, the ages of the players and how well that blends in, and even seemingly trivial things like attendances and behind-the-scenes shenanigans. I have gone through each team in the league, alphabetically, and assessed them as accurately as I can. Before we begin, if anybody would like to make any apparent corrections to anything I have mentioned, please feel free. Also, if anybody has the average attendances of last season for the newcomers to this league (Leicester, Scunthorpe, Colchester, MK Dons, Peterborough, Hereford and Stockport), then I will be grateful if they could provide them to me, as I can't find them anywhere.

Anyway, without further ado, on with the preview. It's a little on the long side, but hopefully that won't deter your mind elsewhere.

Brighton & Hove Albion

Last Season: 7th

Ground: Withdean Stadium (8,850 capacity) - Last season's average was 5,937

Manager: Micky Adams (replaces Dean Wilkins)

Players In: Colin Hawkins (Coventry City, free); Kevin McLeod (Colchester United, free); Adam Virgo (Celtic, free); David Livermore (Hull City, free); Gary Hart; Kerry Mayo (re-signed after being released); Matt Richards (Ipswich Town, 6-month loan)

Players Out: Gary Hart; Kerry Mayo (released, but both have since been re-signed); Guy Butters; Paul Reid; Sam Rents; David Martot; Sonny Cobbs; Lloyd Skinner; Chris Winterton; Shane McFaul (all released)

Likely Line-up & Comments:

Michael Kuipers
Andy Whing; Tommy Elphick; Joel Lynch; Matt Richards
Jake Robinson; Dean Cox; David Livermore; Kevin McLeod
Nicky Forster; Glenn Murray

The back-line is youthful but plentiful in ability, and the lack of experience is helped by the 34-year-old Michael Kuipers behind them, who is still a very able 'keeper at this level. There is also plenty of cover at centre-half, with Hinshelwood, El-Abd and new signings Virgo and Hawkins all capable. El-Abd and Lynch are versatile, being able to fill in at right and left-back respectively, if need be. Although the defence is young, Colin Hawkins is 31, so provides experience, and Adam Virgo has enjoyed a successful spell at the club before, during their rise to the Championship, and has since played for Celtic. He has plenty of pedigree. Kerry Mayo returning also adds numbers to the defence.

I am a believer that in order to compete, you need middle-ground (i.e. players in their peak years) as well as a bit of exciting youth and experienced campaigners for guidance. Brighton have got it right in the midfield, with Livermore and McLeod 28 and 27 respectively. Livermore playing a tidying-up, sitting role in midfield will also allow the diminutive Dean Cox to buzz about in the final third and create chances. Kevin McLeod also has a good delivery on him. Jake Robinson on the right is a bit of a tricky one; I believe his best position to be a striker, but he has had some good games on the right, and his pace and trickery can cause problems.Steven Thomson is a good player with experience and Tom Fraser has played a fair few games; they both provide cover, and the return of Gary Hart further bolsters the numbers in midfield. However, fans don't seem to rate Doug Loft and the other midfielders in the squad are unproven youngsters. Just to be certain, I think they need somebody whose preferred position is on the right. Even so, their midfield does look very strong in the top order. One downside is the lack of height in their midfield; each player is under 6'0", including the 5'4" Cox, meaning they could be bullied by teams who pack their midfield with big bruisers.

The strikeforce is also looking strong; Glenn Murray has scored 9 goals for the club since his arrival in January, and seems to have developed a good understanding with Nicky Forster, whose leadership and experience will be important. Murray is strong in the air and on the ground, and also has a bit of mobility about him, as well as his finishing ability. Forster isn't getting any younger but has never relied on pace. Although he is not the biggest, he has an excellent footballing brain, with which he can link up Brighton's forward play to good effect. He is also capable of shooting from distance, which is an important asset to his game. The front two are definitely capable of getting at least 30 goals between them. Behind those two, though, is interesting; Jonny Dixon signed for the club in January bringing with him a good record at Aldershot, but is still very much unproven at this level. Jake Robinson also provides good cover up front and it'd be interesting to see how prolific he'd be should he get a run of games as a striker rather than out wide. Robinson would be a good option with his pace and movement should one of the first-choice pairing get injured.

Verdict:

Brighton are in line for a very good season; their first XI looks strong and the balance is near perfect. The change in manager could be seen as a setback, but Adams has been at the club before. There are concerns that the side may revert to Adams' preferred long-ball tactics from Wilkins' carefully implemented short passing game, but with the players they have in place, it would make much more sense to play an on-the-deck style of football. There is plenty of ability in their side and good backup players waiting to step in and do a job. Their defence looks tight, with an abundance of good quality centre-halves, protected by the solid Livermore. Whing and Richards aren't bad defensively either. Brighton conceded 50 goals last season, which isn't bad defensively, but I feel they'll improve on that record, as last season they lacked that anchorman in the midfield to shore things up. Going forward, Robinson, Cox and McLeod will all get a good number of assists, meaning that Forster and Murray should get enough goals. Promotion beckons for the Albion. 2nd

Leaving, as the final table.....

1. Leeds United
2. Brighton & Hove Albion
---------------------------------------------------
3. Colchester United
4. Northampton Town
5. Oldham Athletic
6. Huddersfield Town
7. Peterborough United
8. Swindon Town
9. Carlisle United
10. Leicester City
11. Bristol Rovers
12. Hartlepool United
13. Southend United
14. Millwall
15. Stockport County
16. Leyton Orient
17. Tranmere Rovers
18. Milton Keynes Dons
19. Scunthorpe United
20. Walsall
21. Crewe Alexandra
22. Hereford United
23. Cheltenham Town
24. Yeovil Town

how wrong can you get? :laugh:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Can I just say, I know the thread is old but it was linked to in another thread... Northampton 4th?! :laugh: Everything else is forgivable, but come on. Northampton, for me, were absolutely stuck on to go down last season. I thought Bristol Rovers were aswell, especially after their horror show at the Withdean.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
To be fair he has predicted 3/4 of the relagation places, although not in the correct order.

:flounce:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Wouldn't take any notice of that then. :laugh:

Na, will give it a read now.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Colin Hawkins. Adam El-Abd is also at the club but he is considered something of a liability by Brighton fans

i think hes got those names the wrong way around

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here