Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An Leyton Orient fans view of the upcoming season...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
...better than anything the British press will produce.

That's right, unbeknown to you all, I have been secretly preparing a massive League One preview, in which I deeply analyse the chances of every team for the coming season. Many things as possible have been factored in, such as players in the side, their compatibility as a team, adeptness of the manager, how settled the side is, the ages of the players and how well that blends in, and even seemingly trivial things like attendances and behind-the-scenes shenanigans. I have gone through each team in the league, alphabetically, and assessed them as accurately as I can. Before we begin, if anybody would like to make any apparent corrections to anything I have mentioned, please feel free. Also, if anybody has the average attendances of last season for the newcomers to this league (Leicester, Scunthorpe, Colchester, MK Dons, Peterborough, Hereford and Stockport), then I will be grateful if they could provide them to me, as I can't find them anywhere.

Anyway, without further ado, on with the preview. It's a little on the long side, but hopefully that won't deter your mind elsewhere.

Brighton & Hove Albion

Last Season: 7th

Ground: Withdean Stadium (8,850 capacity) - Last season's average was 5,937

Manager: Micky Adams (replaces Dean Wilkins)

Players In: Colin Hawkins (Coventry City, free); Kevin McLeod (Colchester United, free); Adam Virgo (Celtic, free); David Livermore (Hull City, free); Gary Hart; Kerry Mayo (re-signed after being released); Matt Richards (Ipswich Town, 6-month loan)

Players Out: Gary Hart; Kerry Mayo (released, but both have since been re-signed); Guy Butters; Paul Reid; Sam Rents; David Martot; Sonny Cobbs; Lloyd Skinner; Chris Winterton; Shane McFaul (all released)

Likely Line-up & Comments:

Michael Kuipers
Andy Whing; Tommy Elphick; Joel Lynch; Matt Richards
Jake Robinson; Dean Cox; David Livermore; Kevin McLeod
Nicky Forster; Glenn Murray

The back-line is youthful but plentiful in ability, and the lack of experience is helped by the 34-year-old Michael Kuipers behind them, who is still a very able 'keeper at this level. There is also plenty of cover at centre-half, with Hinshelwood, El-Abd and new signings Virgo and Hawkins all capable. El-Abd and Lynch are versatile, being able to fill in at right and left-back respectively, if need be. Although the defence is young, Colin Hawkins is 31, so provides experience, and Adam Virgo has enjoyed a successful spell at the club before, during their rise to the Championship, and has since played for Celtic. He has plenty of pedigree. Kerry Mayo returning also adds numbers to the defence.

I am a believer that in order to compete, you need middle-ground (i.e. players in their peak years) as well as a bit of exciting youth and experienced campaigners for guidance. Brighton have got it right in the midfield, with Livermore and McLeod 28 and 27 respectively. Livermore playing a tidying-up, sitting role in midfield will also allow the diminutive Dean Cox to buzz about in the final third and create chances. Kevin McLeod also has a good delivery on him. Jake Robinson on the right is a bit of a tricky one; I believe his best position to be a striker, but he has had some good games on the right, and his pace and trickery can cause problems.Steven Thomson is a good player with experience and Tom Fraser has played a fair few games; they both provide cover, and the return of Gary Hart further bolsters the numbers in midfield. However, fans don't seem to rate Doug Loft and the other midfielders in the squad are unproven youngsters. Just to be certain, I think they need somebody whose preferred position is on the right. Even so, their midfield does look very strong in the top order. One downside is the lack of height in their midfield; each player is under 6'0", including the 5'4" Cox, meaning they could be bullied by teams who pack their midfield with big bruisers.

The strikeforce is also looking strong; Glenn Murray has scored 9 goals for the club since his arrival in January, and seems to have developed a good understanding with Nicky Forster, whose leadership and experience will be important. Murray is strong in the air and on the ground, and also has a bit of mobility about him, as well as his finishing ability. Forster isn't getting any younger but has never relied on pace. Although he is not the biggest, he has an excellent footballing brain, with which he can link up Brighton's forward play to good effect. He is also capable of shooting from distance, which is an important asset to his game. The front two are definitely capable of getting at least 30 goals between them. Behind those two, though, is interesting; Jonny Dixon signed for the club in January bringing with him a good record at Aldershot, but is still very much unproven at this level. Jake Robinson also provides good cover up front and it'd be interesting to see how prolific he'd be should he get a run of games as a striker rather than out wide. Robinson would be a good option with his pace and movement should one of the first-choice pairing get injured.

Verdict:

Brighton are in line for a very good season; their first XI looks strong and the balance is near perfect. The change in manager could be seen as a setback, but Adams has been at the club before. There are concerns that the side may revert to Adams' preferred long-ball tactics from Wilkins' carefully implemented short passing game, but with the players they have in place, it would make much more sense to play an on-the-deck style of football. There is plenty of ability in their side and good backup players waiting to step in and do a job. Their defence looks tight, with an abundance of good quality centre-halves, protected by the solid Livermore. Whing and Richards aren't bad defensively either. Brighton conceded 50 goals last season, which isn't bad defensively, but I feel they'll improve on that record, as last season they lacked that anchorman in the midfield to shore things up. Going forward, Robinson, Cox and McLeod will all get a good number of assists, meaning that Forster and Murray should get enough goals. Promotion beckons for the Albion. 2nd

Bristol Rovers

Last Season: 16th

Ground: Memorial Stadium (11,916 capacity) - Last season's average was 6,850

Manager: Paul Trolloppe (est. 2005)

Players In: Jeff Hughes (Crystal Palace, free); Darryl Duffy (Swansea City, £100,000); Ben Hunt (West Ham United, free)

Players Out: Sammy Igoe; Chris Carruthers (both released); Richard Walker (Shrewsbury Town, season-long loan); Lewis Haldane (Oxford United, season-long loan)

Steve Phillips
Craig Hinton; Aaron Lescott; Steve Elliott; Joe Jacobson
David Pipe; Stuart Campbell; Craig Disley; Jeff Hughes
Rickie Lambert; Darryl Duffy

Steve Phillips can be a good custodian between the sticks, but is more than susceptible to a mad moment. He is an experienced campaigner in the lower leagues, so knows what this division is about, but the faults in the mental side of his game are still there. The defence is also very seasoned; Craig Hinton is 30 with Lescott and Elliott both 29. This should help the young Joe Jacobson, who is still improving at 21 years of age. They should improve as a unit, spending another year playing alongside each other. As backup, they have Byron Anthony and Danny Coles in central defence, who are both adequate defenders at League One level. Craig Hinton is capable of playing anywhere across the back line, and Ryan Green, whilst predominantly a right-winger, is capable of filling in at right-back.

In midfield, Craig Disley is the main goal threat, with partner Stuart Campbell doing the spade-work alongside him. On the wings, David Pipe and Jeff Hughes will provide the service, though they'll probably feed the ball into Lambert who drops deep, rather than putting crosses in. I can't really see a great deal of cover in the midfield, with the exception of Sean Rigg, so they could be in trouble if a couple of the first-choice midfielders sustain injuries. Jeff Hughes will be something of an unknown quantity, having only played 10 games for previous club Palace and then a handful on loan at Peterborough, though he did do well at Lincoln in League Two. He is still young as well, which heightens his unpredictability. Campbell and Disley have played together for a while, so the Pirates will have a good understanding in the centre of midfield. The Scotsman will have to play the guardian role at 30, with the oldest of the remaining midfielders being Disley at 26.

Up front, they do look to have goals in them. Lambert got 13 in the league last season, which was a good effort, but his regular strike-partner, Richard Walker, prolific in League Two, couldn't repeat his exploits at a higher level and has now subsequently been farmed out on loan to Shrewsbury Town. Andy Williams, who was signed from Hereford, only managed 4 goals. Only 45 were scored in the league, so it was imperative that the club moved to rectify this problem. The signing of Darryl Duffy is a potential coup. After sporadic appearances at Hull which disrupted his goalscoring form, he scored a combined total of 10 goals in 18 games whilst on loan at Hartlepool and Swansea respectively. Limited apperances at the Jacks after signing permanently meant he only scored one goal, but a regular run of games at the Memorial could see him become one of League One's most prolific marksmen in 2008/09. Additionally, Wayne Andrews may sign, who, with Championship experience, can provide competition, even if his scoring record is very inconsistent. Youngster Ben Hunt has also been signed from West Ham, who is unknown, and Williams, although he suffered a barren run last season, is still only 21 and can learn from experience and improve his game as he gains knowledge about League One football. I can see Lambert being the creative player able to score from outside the box as well as in, also providing a physical presence at 6'2", and Duffy being the pace merchant who will also work the channels.

Verdict:

Bristol Rovers will do alright; their starting line-up doesn't look like relegation fodder at all, although the lack of real depth in their squad will put paid to any hopes of a genuine playoff challenge. Paul Trolloppe is a young yet cunning manager, who has improved the club's league position year upon year, and may well do so again this time. What is also noticeable about their side, is that its core (Hinton, Lescott, Elliott, Campbell, Disley) has been at the club since 2004, with Phillips and Lambert being present since 2006. This means that there is an excellent understanding between these players, who can also use their experience of the club and area to help new signings settle in. Most of these players are nearing the 30 mark, though, so are unlikely to improve significantly in the future. However, if this nucleus is kept together, as well as Duffy up front, then Rovers can easily achieve a mid-table position, perhaps more. Unfortunately, I can see the condition of their pitch accounting for a few injuries during the season, and the ongoing saga about the stadium's redevelopment plans could prove a hindrance. The bad pitch could prove an advantage in some respects, though, as a few teams won't fancy coming there, but it could also limit their ability to play good football, which is why they are one of my favourites to fare better away from home. I do hear that the pitch has been relaid at the Memorial, however, meaning their home record should improve as their on-the-deck style is now favoured.I think the Gas will fare better than last season. 11th

Carlisle United
Last Season: 4th (playoff semi-finalists)

Ground: Brunton Park (16,981 capacity) - Last season's average was 7,835

Manager: John Ward (est. 2007)

Players In: Josh Gowling (Bournemouth, free); Ben Williams (Crewe Alexandra, free); Michael Bridges (Hull City, season-long loan)

Players Out: Joe Garner (Nottingham Forest, £1,400,000); Kieren Westwood (Coventry City, £750,000); Zigor Aranalde; Paul Arnison; Grant Carson (all released)

Ben Williams
David Raven; Danny Livesey; Peter Murphy; Evan Horwood
Cleveland Taylor; Chris Lumsdon; Marc Bridge-Wilkinson; Simon Hackney
Danny Graham; Michael Bridges

The back four, which helped restrict Carlisle's goals against column to 46 last season, is the same, but Carlisle have been dealt a massive blow with the departure of Kieren Westwood, who was League One's top goalkeeper last season. Replacing him is Ben Williams, who has some almighty shoes to fill. Ben Williams certainly isn't in the same goalkeeping class as Westwood, and it remains to be seen how the back four will react without such immaculate security behind them. On the plus side, Raven and Horwood are good going forward, and the club have also signed Josh Gowling from Bournemouth, who will provide competition for Livesey and Murphy. Gowling was highly-rated by Cherries fans but has reportedly gone downhill recently. Unfortunately for the Cumbrians, there isn't much more cover in the defensive ranks aside from a 20-year-old left-back called Darren Campion, who has played all of two games for the club. Injuries to a couple of defenders certainly wouldn't be no big deal for Carlisle. The defence is also very young, with Murphy being the oldest at 27. If they start conceding goals, it will be interesting to see how they react.

In midfield, Chris Lumsdon should play the holding role and use his reliable passing skills to good effect, as well as being in the right place at the right time to nip opposition attacks in the bud. With the fullbacks pushing forward to support and overlap their companions on the wings in Cleveland Taylor and Simon Hackney, he'll have plenty of options to pick out. Hackney is liked by the supporters for his dribbling skills and trickery which causes problems to defences, although his end product does leave something to be desired. He is still only 24, though, so the consistency of his final ball will come as he matures. Taylor I also expect to come good this season, as he has pace and good crossing ability. If he gets enough of the ball and the fans get off his back, he'll do well on a consistent basis. Bridge-Wilkinson is an attack-minded player who does his best work in the final third, is capable of providing goals and assists from midfield, and also works very hard. Also in the squad is Grant Smith, who has done well since his arrival, and provides nice competition. Jeff Smith and Paul Thirlwell are the others providing cover, who aren't anything special, but are just about capable of doing what is asked. The depth in Carlisle's midfield looks pretty healthy, but I worry about the lack of height in the starting midfield, which could see them come unstuck against physical teams. All the players are under 6'0", which MBW being 5'6" and Hackney 5'8" and 65kg! They do have that middle ground, though, in Lumsdon at 28 and Bridge-Wilkinson at 29.

Carlisle have very good attacking options, even with Garner gone. Danny Graham and the returning Michael Bridges are both dangerous players at this level, and the fact that both of those are capable of getting at least 15 a season, makes the side look imposing up front. There is also Scott Dobie, which means there is plenty of variety up front at Brunton Park. Bridges is a creative player who I can see doing well if given the service, Graham can hold the ball up and bring others into play as well as find the net and head the ball, and Dobie is useful in the air and a good targetman. Even if with Garner gone, their first-choiec pairing looks strong, though they will need somebody reliable to step in, as Danny Carlton hasn't cut the mustard at League One level.

Verdict:

It's a tough one to call. Carlisle overperformed last season with a 4th place finish, in my book, which was largely down to John Ward's managerial ability. He has his work cut out to repeat that feat, but at least he's only lost two players from the side so far, even if they were the most important two. There may be an unwanted pressure to repeat last season's feats, as, ability-wise, Carlisle's squad wasn't as strong as the sides that finished around them, and that could work against them this time. Even so, a spectacular collapse is unlikely. With Westwood gone, though, I see the defence looking more shaky and conceding more goals, and the fact that there is not a single player in the squad over the age of 30 at this present moment in time shows that they haven't got that person who's "been there and done it". They should have a strong record again at Brunton Park, though, as not many of us fancy a trip to the Scottish borders. I think Carlisle will definitely finish in the top half, but just fall short of the playoff places. 9th

Cheltenham Town
Last Season: 19th

Ground: Whaddon Road (7,408 capacity) - Last season's average was 4,310

Manager: Keith Downing (est. 2007)

Players In: Alex Russell (Bristol City, free)

Players Out: Steven Gillespie (Colchester United, £400,000); Adam Connolly; Sam Foley; Craig Reid; Mike Wylde (all released)

Shane Higgs
Andy Gallinagh; Shane Duff; Craig Armstrong; Alan Wright
David Bird; John Finnigan; Alex Russell; Scott Brown
Paul Connor; Damian Spencer

Shane Higgs is a good 'keeper for this level; there's no denying that. At 31, he is approaching his peak in terms of goalkeepers, so we should see another good season from him. In defence, Shane Duff has performed consistently well for Cheltenham for 7-8 years now and is still only 26, and I'd opt for Craig Armstrong alongside him, who has done well since returning to the club from Gillingham. There is plenty of experience in the defensive ranks; Alan Wright is 36 now and will play a large part again this season. Despite his age, he has produced a consistently high level of performance for the club, and is still a very fit player. At right-back, Jerry Gill is almost 38, and having two fullbacks with a combined age of 73 isn't necessarily the best idea. Andy Gallinagh is a player who can play there, though, and won Cheltenham's Young Player of the Year award last season. He is 23, so presumably considerabl more mobile than Gill. Gavin Caines and Michael Townsend provide the competition. With a number of defenders over 30 years old, there is a distinct lack of pace in Cheltenham's defence, but Shane Duff, who is considered one of the fastest men in Northern Ireland, can hopefully make up for this. Much will depend on his positional sense if pacy attackers do get in behind the aged.

Experience is also a big factor in Cheltenham's midfield. Central pairing John Finnigan and Alex Russell are 32 and 35 respectively, and are fairly similar players in the sense that they are both good passers and are hard-working. This could work for or against Cheltenham; I haven't decided yet. It does also remain to be seen whether they can each play for 46 games. David Bird, despite playing last season in central midfield (largely due to Finnigan missing out with injury) will probably play on the right wing this season. Their only other option in that area, Andy Lindegaard, I don't rate as a League One player. Nevertheless, he'll do what is asked on him on the right, although probably not a great deal more. He will be helped along by the experience alongside him, though. A key player could be Scott Brown on the left. His energy and skill could prove a big factor in Cheltenham's quest to defy the odds again. He should link up well with Alan Wright and provide good cover for the ageing fullback. The experience of those around him will also help the 23-year-old.

Up front, it currently looks to be a case of 'oh dear oh dear oh dear'. Star striker Steven Gillespie has departed for Colchester in a £400,000 deal, and Cheltenham have to do everything they can to replace him, but that isn't going too well so far; they have missed out on both Gary Hooper and Michael Boulding. Their current strikers Paul Connor and Damian Spencer are simply not prolific enough at this level, and although Cheltenham have a few goals in them from midfield, that won't fully make up for their current striking deficiencies. The two of them scored 7 league goals between them last season, which was less than half as many as Gillespie alone managed. Although they both provide a physical presence and are hard workers, with Spencer also being very pacy, meaning they will unsettle defences, they simply aren't clinical finishers. I will say, however, that it is very unlikely that the Robins will start the season with these two as their first-choice front pairing. I expect somebody to be signed, and time will tell whether he's an adequate replacement for the departed Gillespie.

Verdict:

I don't think anyone can argue that another season of struggle is on the cards at Whaddon Road. The striking department is definitely Cheltenham's weakness, so Keith Downing needs to rectify that as soon as possible. Speaking of Downing, he did wonderfully to keep the club up against all the odds last season when they were entrenched in the relegation zone following Ward's departure. He did make some astute signings, though, and he'll have to do that again to repeat the upset of the odds. Alex Russell is a good signing in the midfield, despite his age, and had Cheltenham had him all of last season, they may have stayed up with greater ease. I think that Cheltenham's goals against column won't be as high this season, but in a side that only scored 42 goals last season, with the top scorer gone, Downing needs more. He signed Steve Brooker on loan briefly, and getting him again would be a good bit of business, although he is a different type of player to Gillespie, but I do think he'd work well with the pace of Spencer. If a proven striker isn't signed, I'm afraid it will be curtains for Cheltenham. If a proven striker is signed, I think they'll have just about enough to survive once again. At the time of writing, Cheltenham have been snubbed by Michael Boulding, Kevin Gall and Marc Richards. It looks like trips to Rochdale and Exeter will be on the menu in 2009/10. 23rd

Colchester United
Last Season: 24th (Championship)

Ground: Colchester Community Stadium/Cuckoo Farm (10,000 capacity) - moving from Layer Road

Manager: Geraint Williams (est. 2006)

Players In: Steven Gillespie (Cheltenham Town, £400,000); Matthew Lockwood (Nottingham Forest, undisclosed); David Perkins (Rochdale, undisclosed); Matt Heath (Leeds United, free); Paul Reid (Barnsley, free)

Players Out: Kevin Lisbie (Ipswich Town, £600,000); Karl Duguid (Plymouth Argyle, undisclosed); Danny Granville (Leyton Orient, free); Kevin McLeod (Brighton & Hove Albion, free); Luke Guttridge (Northampton Town, free); Jamie Guy (Oxford United, season-long loan); Kevin Watson; Tom Devaux; Tom Webb (all released); Teddy Sheringham; Aidan Davidson (both retired)

Dean Gerken
Philip Ifil; Paul Reid; Matt Heath; Matt Lockwood
Kemal Izzet; Dean Hammond; Johnnie Jackson; Mark Yeates
Clive Platt; Steven Gillespie

Colchester were quick to make moves to sort out their defence, which conceded 86 goals last season as the club finished rock bottom of the Championship. Dean Gerken is a good enough 'keeper, and is now a year more mature, but what's now in front of him looks a lot stronger. Philip Ifil is a fast, energetic right-back who is good going forward. In fact, Colchester look to have good options from the fullback positions, as Matt Lockwood is renowned for his attacking capacities, as well as his prolifigacy from the penalty spot. Defensively, he's not great, as shown at Orient, but he does now have solid centre-backs alongside him rather than John Mackie and Clayton Fortune. In central defence, Colchester now look strong. New signing Matt Heath is a solid defender at League One level, and fellow new signing Paul Reid has been promoted from this division as captain of a Barnsley side who conceded just 44 goals in the 2005/06 season. There is plenty of backup in the defensive ranks, too. Chris Coyne has played at this level with Luton Town and been promoted during that period, and duo John White and Pat Baldwin both played some part for Colchester last season, but they also figured in the club's promotion season in 2005/06, where Colchester conceded just 40 goals.

The midfield looks pretty interesting. I have gone for this line-up, though I may be wrong. Karl Duguid will be a loss, and at the present time, I don't see anybody in the Colchester midfield in the same mould as him. Dean Hammond and Johnnie Jackson both strike me as grafters with the ability to score goals, who are better at attacking than defending. Mark Yeates on the wing with his pace, trickery and prowess from free-kicks will be an important asset, and Kemal Izzet's persistence will be a thorn for opposition sides. Although Duguid is gone, Colchester do have a very hard-working midfield, with all four players listed willing to run from box to box and cover every blade of grass. This could make the U's a difficult side to break down, even if they don't have a defensive specialist in there, and this is even complemented by their new look backline. The attacking ability of the midfield means that they should do well going forward, too, as they have plenty of goals in them. Colchester also have new signing David Perkins in their side, who will provide cover, and also youngsters Anthony Wordsworth and Endy Melito. I would say that a little bit more cover in midfield is needed, though.

Despite finishing bottom of the Championship, Colchester scored 62 goals. The departed Kevin Lisbie got 17 of them, but Colchester have broken their transfer record to sign Steven Gillespie from Cheltenham, who should find the net on a regular basis given the service he'll get from midfield. It does remain to be seen, though, who his partner will be. Clive Platt has been prolific at some times and less prolific at other. He scored 18 times in League Two for MK Dons, but only 8 times in the Championship for Colchester last season. Logic tells you that he'll get a number in between those two in League One, but football is not always based on logic. Nonetheless, I feel he will be a good foil for Gillespie, especially at 6'4". The attention he will receive from defenders shall allow more space for the club's record signing, who is good with the ball at his feet, and also mobile. Also present is Scott Vernon, who is a bit of a lower league journeyman, and has never been amazingly prolific. I feel that one more striker may be needed for Colchester to complete the set, and the £600,000 received for Kevin Lisbie from local rivals Ipswich Town, puts the North Essex club in a strong position in the transfer market.

Verdict:

Colchester have bought well, strenghtened appropriately and look set to mount a challenge for an instant return to the Championship. Their side has a lot of balance to it, even if there is a bit of depth lacking in a couple of areas. They won't concede as many goals this time round and they still look potent up front. There is still the factor of moving to a new stadium, and the extortionate admission prices have left many wondering whether they'll attract good crowds as fans may boycott, but there is that novelty factor which should see them get a decent figure in. Some players in their side won't be used to playing in front of bigger crowds in bigger grounds, but the likes of Ifil, Jackson and Yeates, all of whom have played for Spurs, will know what it's like, as will Matt Heath, who has played in front of sizeable crowds at Leeds. This, added to the fact that the increase in capacity of the ground from Layer Road isn't actually that big, suggests that the settling in process may not take as long as some think. Manager Geraint Williams did an admirable job in his first season, but things certainly didn't go to plan last season, and he now has the unenviable task of attempting to halt downward momentum. Colchester have the players to arrest the slide, though. I can see them experiencing a rough patch in their first handful of games, but I think that they'll be in the playoff zone come the end of the season. 3rd

Crewe Alexandra

Last Season: 20th

Ground: Gresty Road (10,046 capacity) - Last season's average was 4,932

Manager: Steve Holland (est. 2007)

Players In: Calvin Zola (Tranmere Rovers, £200,000); Joel Grant (Aldershot Town, £130,000); Anthony Elding (Leeds United, undisclosed); Adam Legzdins (Birmingham City, free); Steve Collis (Southend United, free); Jake Livermore (Tottenham Hotspur, 6-month loan)

Players Out: Nicky Maynard (Bristol City; £2,250,000); Owain Fôn Williams (Stockport County, tribunal); Ben Williams (Carlisle United, free); Matt Bailey (Northwich Victoria, free); Nick Farquarson; Junior Brown; Ryan Lynch (all released); Neil Cox (retired)

Steve Collis
Danny Woodards; Chris McCready; Julien Baudet; Billy Jones
Joel Grant; Steven Schumacher; Ben Rix; Eugen Bopp
Calvin Zola; Antony Elding

Crewe conceded 65 goals last season but don't seem to have made moves to sort out their leaky defence. Skippered by Julien Baudet, though, they are now a year older and a year closer to (or further into) their respective peak years, meaning they could make some progress, particularly Danny Woodards, who impressed last season and is still only 24. However, the lack of a proven goalkeeper behind them is worrying. Ben Williams has gone to Carlisle, and Steve Collis comes in as a direct replacement for him. All that we know about him is that he was released from Southend at the end of last season, and played 45 games for Yeovil in 5 seasons prior to that. The rest of the defenders in the squad hardly strike fear into you either. Unfortunately for Crewe, I can see a similar number of goals scored against them this season.

The midfield looks very young, but a year older they will have gained experience from playing with each other. Steven Schumacher is a very tenacious player, who will do the spade work to free up Ben Rix for a playmaking role. This will limit Schumacher's goals from midfield, and Rix, whilst a good passer, doesn't get a lot of goals from midfield. However, Ukrainian-born German Eugen Bopp also has good vision and a good delivery, added to the ability to score from distance. On the other wing, 20-year-old Joel Grant will provide pace to worry defenders, but is still very much an unknown quantity. I'd imagine that he's a bit raw, and, having only played regularly in the Conference, it wouldn't surprise me if he was nothing more than a pace merchant. It could turn out to be a genius bit of business by Crewe, though. Gary Roberts is arguably Crewe's best midfield player, but he has handed in a transfer request, and will probably be sold before the season starts, and the only other midfielder in the squad who's played a good number of games is Michael O'Connor, who is 20 years old. Cover looks very thin on the ground, and while the combination of Grant, Schumacher, Rix and Bopp looks decent, it lacks a father figure.

The much-coveted Nicky Maynard has gone, meaning Crewe have lost their main supply of goals in. Maynard scored 14 in 20 for Crewe last season after missing a large chunk of the season with a broken leg, adding to 15 in the previous season. It looks very much like Calvin Zola and Anthony Elding will be the front pairing at Gresty Road this season. 6'3" Calvin Zola, despite being far from prolific, could well prove a good foil for Elding with his aerial ability and ability to hold the ball up. Anthony Elding, signed from Leeds, gives Crewe another option as a 'fox in the box' type player. He will need service, though, and he is yet to prove himself in League One. The remainder of Crewe's plethora of strikers is Tom Pope, Shaun Miller and Byron Moore, none of whom seem frightening prospects, but are all still young, and Pope did score 7 last season. Now Maynard has gone, Crewe ideally need somebody who is proven in League One, though that could prove to be Elding. We will see.

Verdict:

If the signing of Elding turns out to be a stroke of genius from the management team, then Crewe will just about survive. However, their defence still looks questionable, and you can expect plenty of goals flying past Crewe this coming season, and the lack of depth in midfield is worrying. There is also no player in the squad over 30, meaning that the side will be lacking guidance if things do start to go wrong. Steve Holland's managerial capabilities are still questionable, and it is a huge task accompanied by pressure when taking over from Dario Gradi, who had managed the club for over 20 years prior. The poor attendances, and subsequently atmosphere, will also be a detriment. A struggle awaits, and ultimately, so does League Two. 21st

Hartlepool United
Last Season: 15th

Ground: Victoria Park (7,691 capacity) - Last season's average was 4,507

Manager: Danny Wilson (est. 2006)

Players In: Alan Power (Nottingham Forest, free); Ritchie Jones (Manchester United,free); Mark Cook (Newcastle United, free)

Players Out: Robbie Elliot; Ali Gibb (both released)

Jan Budtz
Jamie McCunnie; Michael Nelson; Sam Collins; Ritchie Humphreys
Ritchie Jones; Willie Boland; Antony Sweeney
James Brown; Richard Barker; Joel Porter

Hartlepool's goalkeeping options are questionable, with the fans having doubts over both Jan Budtz and Arran Lee-Barrett, though they have just signed Mark Cook from Newcastle. Their defence looks solid, with Michael Nelson marshalling it, alongside Sam Collins. With both of them well over 6 feet tall and substantially built, they will take some getting past. Jamie McCunnie is a solid fullback who likes a tackle, and the versatile, long-serving Ritchie Humphreys brings experience at 30 years old, with solidarity and the composure to pass the ball out of defence. The big worry about that defence, however, is a distinct lack of pace. Nelson and Collins are not the quickest by any means, and although Nelson has good positional play, the back four will be found out on occasions this season by nippy strikers and made to tire by pace merchants. Ben Clark is a good backup player to have, but that is about it, aside from an 18-year-old called Joe Tait who has yet to play a minute of professional football. More is needed in that area; probably somebody who can play anywhere across the backline.

I think Pools are going to go with a 4-3-3 this season, and it looks quite an exciting midfield and attack. 33-year-old Wille Bolland provides energy, experience and bite and will look to break up opposition attacks, which will allow Jones and Sweeney to get forward and pick out passes. Those two players are also hard-working and will help out defensively, and are both in excess of 6'0" which will add a physical element. Hartlepool do have a plethora of good midfielders, with the likes of Gary Liddle, Andy Monkhouse and new signing Alan Power all likely to be vying for a place in the starting line-up and expecting to play at some point. Liddle in fact made 41 starts last season, but the new-look midfield means he may well miss out. They do have a very nice mixture of age in there, with Bolland at 33 sure to provide guidance to 21-year-old Ritchie Jones, and Sweeney will soon be 25, meaning he is approaching his peak years.

The three-pronged front line looks very threatening. James Brown managed 14 goals last season when mainly used as a right winger. I had a feeling that he may get found out by tougher or more clever defenders when playing on the wing for a second season in League One, so I think it's a good move by Danny Wilson to revert him to his preferred striking role. His pace, trickery and intelligence will cause trouble down the channels, and him and the hard-working Joel Porter on the other side will feed the powerful Barker, who will also score from plenty of crosses if the fullbacks overlap well. Let's not forget that Porter and Brown are also likely to chip in with double figures. We have an attack that could possibly produce 40-45 goals between them, and that will be a huge asset to the club's season. My worry would be that the other strikers at the club don't look like League One players to me, but if one gets injured, I think the two remaining will be compatible in a 4-4-2 formation.

Verdict:

So-called experts are predicting struggles for Hartlepool but I don't see it happening. They haven't lost any key players and have strengthened well, although they do need to sort out their defence and that will once again be their downfall. They do look a very capable team going forward and all three strikers are capable of getting double figures. This, combined with a hard-working and dynamic midfield which has plenty of depth, gives a very positive outlook. They are also a very tall team, with the majority of their side being 6'0" or over, which of course makes them a big threat from set-pieces. Very importantly, I think the blend of age their squad has is nigh on perfect. Danny Wilson is an astute manager, and with last season's unfortuante events put behind them, which proved a substantial hindrance, I can see another mid-table finish at the very least. 12th

Hereford United
Last Season: 3rd (League Two)

Ground: Edgar Street (7,100 capacity) -

Manager: Graham Turner (est. 1995)

Players In: Matt Done (Wrexham, undisclosed); Bradley Hudson-Odoi (Fulham, free); Garry Breen (Manchester City, free); Craig Samson (Dundee, free); Toumani Diagouraga (Watford, free); Robbie Threlfall (Liverpool, season-long loan); Darren Randolph (Charlton Athletic, season-long loan)

Players Out: None.

Darren Randolph
Richard Rose; Dean Beckwith; Karl Broadhurst; Robbie Threlfall
Kris Taylor; Toumani Diagouraga; Ben Smith; Matt Done
Simon Johnson; Bradley Hudson-Odoi

I have heard good things about Darren Randolph and he will get the chance to shine in between the sticks for Hereford in League One. Dean Beckwith stood out in League Two as one of the best defenders, and his positional sense and general defensive ability will provide the foundation for Hereford's defence. Karl Broadhurst is the skipper at Hereford so must have a sense of responsibility about him. At 28, he is the old head in Hereford's back line, so will need a positive influence. Unfortunately, I am not sure about Richard Rose at right-back and the other two are loanees who could go either way. Garry Breen and Robbie Threlfall are both 19 so will have to show maturity as Graham Turner looks to quickly concoct a squad that can survive in League One. Of course, I know absolutely nothing about either Breen or Threlfall, so can't comment on how good they'll be.

Toumani Diagouraga impressed probably all Bulls fans last season as his performances earned him the comparison to Patrick Vieira. If he does play anything like his slightly better-known compatriot then the Edgar Street faithful will be in for a treat! I can see him stepping up to League One, as he does seem to have the required physical attributes. Diagouraga's discipline will allow attacking midfielder Ben Smith to get in amongst the action in the final third. He does chip in with a decent share of goals and lays on opportunities for strikers. I don't know too much about the wide players, though. Kris Taylor is something of a utility man, and Matt Done doesn't seem to be rated much by Wrexham fans. They do have a long line of midfielders as backup, though, even if some are youngsters who haven't played many games. The most notable figure is Clint Easton, who, surprisingly, is still only 30. He brings experience, but I'm not sure if he's up to League One standard.

Up front, Bradley Hudson-Odoi is an unknown, having never made an appearance for Fulham's first team, yet it could turn out that Turner has unearthed a gem. Simon Johnson hasn't been too prolific in his spell with the club so far, and I can't see Steve Guinan featuring a great deal in League One. I suspect that another striker will be signed soon. In fact, the entire squad still looks unfinished.

Verdict:

As I said, the squad looks unfinished, but I think Hereford will struggle regardless. They look good in places but League Two standard in others. I like the look of their spine, minus the strikers, as I don't think they have enough goals in them, as yet. Graham Turner is a good manager and is no doubt scrabbling about in the loan and freebie market as we speak, but that can only work so many times. You can talk about promotion momentum, but I don't think this applies here as the side will have a pretty different look to it come the start of the season. Not many teams will fancy coming to Edgar Street and if the fans create a hostile atmosphere it will increase their chances of survival, admittedly. They'll give it a fight, but I'm afraid relegation awaits. 22nd

Huddersfield Town
Last Season: 10th

Ground: Galpharm Stadium (24,500 capacity) - Last season's average was 9,131

Manager: Stan Ternent (est. 2008)

Players In: Gary Roberts (Ipswich Town, £250,000) Kiegan Parker (Blackpool, free); Jim Goodwin (Scunthorpe United, free); Andy Butler (Scunthorpe United, free); Chris Lucketti (Sheffield United, free); Michael Flynn (Blackpool, free)

Players Out: Danny Schofield (Yeovil Town, free)

Matt Glennon
Chris Lucketti; Nathan Clarke; Andy Butler
Andy Holdsworth--------------------------------------------------Joe Skarz
Michael Collins; Jim Goodwin; Michael Flynn
Andy Booth; Keigan Parker

Matt Glennon is a good 'keeper, and he'll be protected by three solid centre-backs in front of him. Lucketti brings the experience while Clarke and Butler are both in their 25th years. Butler was rated as one of Scunthorpe's best players while at Glanford park. All three look solid have good defensive attributes, though I'm not so sure on pace, particularly with 36-year-old Lucketti in there. However, they do have an alternative in David Mirfin at the back, who is a quick defender. Tom Clarke is also in the side, and the 20-year-old can learn plenty from Lucketti. In the wing-back positions, Joe Skarz is one of the best young prospects in League One and is still only 19. He is a good technical player and passes the ball well so can feed the midfielders and also get forward to provide crosses. Andy Holdsworth is a very versatile player who can play in defence or midfield. He is another player who is good on the ball, his positioning is good, and he has a good engine, which is important when playing as a wing-back. Huddersfield also have the likes of Tom Clarke and Robbie Williams in their defensive ranks, so there are plenty of numbers there.

The Galpharm will also be home to a plethora of midfield talent this season. Jim Goodwin will play the 'spoiler' role in midfield, to allow Michael Collins and Michael Flynn attacking license. Collins has a very good work-rate and is capable of dribbling the ball long distances, as well as creating chances. Flynn is capable of scoring goals from midfield and will have plenty of support to do so with the wing-backs feeding him. Town have also just signed Gary Roberts from Ipswich for a fee of £250,000, who started impressively at his former club. He will be very useful in League One, though, as a winger, I'm not quite sure how he'll fit into a 3-5-2, unless Stan Ternent decides to play another formation. In fact, Town are capable of playing a 4-4-2 with Malvin Kamara in the squad as an out and out right winger. He is able to go past players. Jon Worthington is also in the side, so there are plenty of numbers in midfield, and it is full of good players.

Up front, Andy Booth gives experience and can play the targetman role, which would complement Keigan Parker perfectly in my opinion. The 34-year-old has never relied on mobility, and is able to hold the ball up for the pacy, nippy Parker to make incisive runs behind defences. He can also get on the end of crosses from wing-backs as he is good in the air. Danny Cadamarteri is also a quick player with intelligent movement, and if he stays fit, and the club are able to sort out his problems, he can be an excellent League One player. Phil Jevons is also prolific enough at League One level and his ability to poach goals will come in handy. Luke Beckett is another strong, powerful player, though he looks like he could be on his way out of the Terriers. All in all, Huddersfield have a wide variety of options in attack to experiment with.

Verdict:

The squad is full of talent, and it is a very big squad. My only worry is that some players may become unhappy with not playing as there is so much competition for so few places. In charge is Stan Ternent, a good manager who has won promotion from this level before and has a very good knowledge of the division. He will also demand a lot from his players, and his ability to sort out players' attitudes is commendable. In addition to this is Huddersfield's season ticket scheme, meaning crowds will be excellent at the Galpharm this season. This is potentially excellent as it creates a very good atmosphere, although if things are going badly, the pressure from 20,000 odd fans will be a lot to handle. I think, with a lot of new signings, there will be some adapting to do, so I can see a first few months of the season where Huddersfield are middly-diddly, which won't please the fans. I think Ternent will get it right, though, and the side should be in a playoff place come the end of the season. 6th

Leeds United

Last Season: 5th (playoff finalists)

Ground: Elland Road (40,242 capacity) - Last season's average was 25,720

Manager: Gary McAllister (est. 2008)

Players In: Luciano Becchio (Mérida Unión Deportiva, undisclosed); Robert Snodgrass (Livingston, undisclosed); Andy Robinson (Swansea City, free); Alan Sheehan (Leicester City, free); Enoch Showunmi (Bristol City, free)

Players Out: Antony Elding (Crewe Alexandra, undisclosed); Leon Constantine (Northampton Town, free); Curtis Weston (Gillingham, 1-month loan); Darren Kenton (released)

Casper Ankergren
Frazer Richardson; Rui Marques; Ľubomír Michalík; Alan Sheehan
Neil Kilkenny; David Prutton; Jonathan Howson; Andy Robinson
Jermaine Beckford; Enoch showunmi

Despite being slightly error prone on occasions, Casper Ankergren is one of the best goalkeepers in the division, and provides solid foundations between the sticks for Leeds. Leeds also have an abundance of talented centre-backs, with the pick of the bunch being Rui Marques, arguably the best in the league. His ability and the influence he has on others will be a superb asset, especially to those playing alongside him. Gary McAllister can choose from the giant Lubo Michalik or the slightly less giant Paul Huntington, both signed from Premier League clubs. Frazer Richardson should start in his preferred position of right-back, where he brings solidarity, and completing the defence at left-back will be Alan Sheehan. The Irishman has impressed since his loan move from Leicester City and that has now been made permanent. His passing ability will be important to the way Leeds play, and his prowess from set-pieces is an asset. Lest we forget that Leeds also have youngsters Ben Parker and Scott Gardner, both of whom are youngsters and are versatile.

The midfield is bursting with ability, and it is almost impossible to pick a preferred four. It doesn't look like Leeds have a natural right-winger, except Sebastien Carole, but he looks to be on his way out. Neil Kilkenny seems capable of doing a job there; he isn't an out and out winger but his attacking mentality and vision mean that he is still useful. On the other side, the skilfull andy Robinson will have plenty to prove after turning down a new deal at Swansea in favour of Leeds, having banked on them to get promotion to the Championship. In the centre, David Prutton's all action style will lay the foundations for a cohesive unit. His passion, aggression and tackling ability will break up opposition attacks and lay the basis for the more creative players to attack. Jonathan Howson is still only 20 but shows fantastic maturity; his incisive passing and vision will split many defences and he is also capable of chipping in with goals. Leeds also have the hard-working Jonathan Douglas, Bradley Johnson, Andy Hughes, Ian Westlake and the promising Fabien Delph. It will be difficult to find a better midfield in League One. Even the players not in the starting line-up will obtain a starting role in most League One sides.

Jermaine Beckford hit the 20 mark in League One last season, and his pace, ability in the box and ability to score spectacular goals makes him a handful for defences. Enoch Showunmi will be a good partner for him, on account of his size and build, which makes him able to win headers for Beckford to run on to and hold the ball up. He will distract defenders which will give Beckford more space. He is also very mobile, which heightens the problems of the opposition. Aside from Enoch, you have Trésor Kandol who will play a similar role, and new signing Robert Snodgrass, who can also play as a left-winger. Leeds have also signed Argentinian forward Luciano Bechhio, who scored 22 goals in 38 for previous club Merida in Spain. He is desribed as being pacy, powerful, hard-working and a clinical finisher with both feet. If he's that good, Leeds have got quite a player on their hands, though I wouldn't throw him straight in at the deep end, as he may have do undergo an adaptation period to English football. Blooding him gradually would be the better option.

Verdict:

Leeds' squad is ridiculously good; there is talent in every area of the pitch, and those who won't be in the starting line-up would get into most sides in this league. In fact, even some of those who won't even make the 16 on matchdays would get into most sides in the league. There is the right balance and the right age mixture. Teams will want to raise their game against Leeds but a shock can only happen so many times. Gary McAllister has shown signs of being a good manager, and has implemented his style on the team now, with the side playing a passing game, a contrast to their style under Dennis Wise. He is inexperienced, but he has the players and has made the signings to cement the side's place as favourites. They will be given shocks by a few teams, and I don't think they'll win the league as easily as a lot of people are saying, but at the end of the day, it is a Championship squad, and that is where they are heading. 1st

Leicester City
Last Season: 22nd (Championship)

Ground: Walkers Stadium (32,500 capacity)

Manager: Nigel Pearson (replaces Ian Holloway)

Players In: Aleksandar Tunchev (CSKA Sofia, undisclosed); Nicky Adams (Bury, undisclosed); Lloyd Dyer (Milton Keynes Dons, free); Michael Morrison (Cambridge United, free); Harry Worley (Chelsea, free); Kerrea Gilbert (Arsenal, season-long loan); Jack Hobbs (Liverpool, season-long loan); David Martin (Liverpool, 6-month loan)

Players Out: Iain Hume (Barnsley, £1,200,000); Richard Stearman (Wolverhampton Wanderers, undisclosed); Gareth McAuley (Ipswich Town, undisclosed); James Chambers (Doncaster Rovers, undisclosed); Alan Sheehan (Leeds United, free)

Paul Henderson
Kerrea Gilbert; Patrick Kisnorbo; Aleksandar Tunchev; Joe Mattock
Maxi Gradel; Matthew Oakley; James Wesolowski; Lloyd Dyer
DJ Campbell; Matty Fryatt

The defence is a newly assembled unit, with Leicester losing Stearman, McAuley and the versatile James Chambers (twin of our Adam) from it last season. Aleksandar Tunchev is a high-profile new signing, having played in Europe with CSKA Sofia and appeared for his native Bulgaria. It may take time, though, for him to adapt to not only the game over here, but also the lifestyle. Nevertheless, Patrick Kisnorbo will be a solid defender in League One, and Kerrea Gilbert can get up and down the pitch from his right-back position, though it is questionable how much defensive nous he actually has. Young Joe Mattock completes the line-up. Leicester also have vast cover in defence, with the experienced Bruno N'Gotty along with the younger persons of Harry Worley and Jack Hobbs. Leicester's back line was the second best in the Championship last season, and although it will take some time to gel on this occasion, they shouldn't concede too many in the coming 46 games.

Matt Oakley and James Wesolowski look one of the best central midfield partnerships in the league. The Aussie is an aggressive, tough-tackling player, while Oakley is intelligent with his passing and has an eye for goal, particularly from long range. Max-Alain Gradel on the wing shone in this league in a relegated Bournemouth side last season, so should get the opportunity to do so again with what you would call better players around him. His pace, directness and trickery will cause problems, though his delivery does need working on a bit. He is only 20, though, so is bound to be a bit raw. On the other side, new signing Lloyd Dyer also has the pace to worry defences, as does his passing ability. There are also the likes of Stephen Clemence and Radostin Kishishev in the side, who bring experience. New signing Nicky Adams, who found the net 13 times for Bury last season, and the young Mark King, complete the midfield. The midfield does look a little lightweight to me, though, so it will struggle against physicality.

In attack, Leicester do have players who have scored at this level. DJ Campbell and Matty Fryatt may feel more at home in League One and Steve Howard scored consistently for Luton over three or so seasons in this division. Barry Hayles adds experience and 18-year-old Ashley Chambers will be the unpredictable youngster. It is rumoured, though, that Leicester fans would like to see the back of Steve Howard, but with the right motivation, he can score goals in League One. However, I think Leicester may be better off with Fryatt and Campbell up front. Howard will score mainly from headers which would come mainly from crosses into the box. While Leicester have pacy wingers, I have doubts over their crossing accuracy. I feel Fryatt is an intelligent player and can link up well with Oakley, as well as making good moves off the ball which can find him in good positions, but also finding space for DJ Campbell, whose pace will be important, as I maintain that you need pace in attack in order to get out of the league. I'm not quite sure how prolific DJ will be, however. I would say that he is more accustomed to playing in front of smaller crowds.

Verdict:

Leicester have a good-looking squad, but that does not guarantee promotion. There is a huge air of pessimism about the club at the moment, following their relegation, and that is going to take some turning around. Newly appointed Nigel Pearson is going to have a great deal of pressure on him just by thinking about Milan Mandaric's record of patience. I don't think he was Mandaric's first choice, and it seems that higher-profile names have steered clear of the poisoned chalice. The players will be low on confidence as the season begins and they will need some motivation. Thankfully, from Leicester's point of view, there are a good number of players over 30 in the squad, who have played under immense pressure before, so the slide may not last as long as some fear. I have also made my point on their midfield looking lightweight. Nevertheless, the defence looks solid, although that will also possibly have teething problems, and there looks to be goals in the strikeforce. Pearson needs to be given time to turn things around, and looking at the situation, predictions of an instant return to the Championship are more in hope rather than expectation. Consolidation beckons, I'm afraid. 10th

Leyton Orient
Last Season: 14th

Ground: Brisbane Road (9,271 capacity) - Last season's average was 5,210

Manager: Martin Ling (est. 2003)

Players In: Danny Granville (Colchester United, free); Ryan Jarvis (Norwich City, free); Jamie Jones (Everton, free); Andrew Cave-Brown (Norwich City, free); Simon Dawkins (Tottenham Hotspur, season-long loan)

Players Out: Jabo Ibehre (Walsall, free); Clayton Fortune (Darlington, free); Sam Oji; Wayne Corden; Efe Echanomi; Raphael Sylvester (all released)

Glenn Morris
Stephen Purches; Tamika Mkandawire; Brian Saah; Danny Granville
JJ Melligan; Adam Chambers; Sean Thornton; Jason Demetriou
Adam Boyd; Simon Dawkins

Glenn Morris' rediscovered his form of 5 seasons ago and built on it to develop into one of the best 'keepers in League One last season. Handed a chance after a catalogue of Nelson errors, he never looked back and I don't recall a bad performance from him. He seems to have sorted out his confidence issues, and worked on his main weakness - his kicking - which is now of a decent standard. It will be difficult to find a better shot-stopper in League One. Orient also possess arguably the finest centre-back in the league in Tamika Mkandawire. This time he'll only have to cover for the mistakes of one fullback in Stephen Purches, now that Danny Granville should displace Aiden Palmer from the side. His pace, awareness, reading of the game, the timing of his tackles, heading and composure on the ball make him one of the best defenders outside the Premier League. I would plump for Brian Saah alongside Tam; he is still young, he adds more height to our defence than Thelwell does and he's a better footballing player. His pace will also be necessary to cover for the ageing Danny Granville. The former Spurs man adds plenty of experience to our defence, though, and is a good League One centre-half. Granville will be of importance because he will communicate with players and pass the ball out of defence rather than lump it, which is where we went wrong last season. Purches is the definite weak link but hopefully he'll improve now we actually have another right-back in Andrew Cave-Brown. We also have Aiden Palmer in our defensive ranks, but he's not good enough for League One.

A left-winger is lacking from our midfield and it is imperative that we sign one before the season starts. If we sign somebody who is pacy and can cross a ball then the side will have a lot more balance to it and it will eliminate the need to play players out of position. We will receive a cash bonus if Nicky Shorey is transferred from Reading, and Ling has drawn up two shortlists of players depending on whether the player moves or not. In my opinion, he has to set a deadline for him moving (I'd say a week before the season starts) and if he hasn't moved by then, get somebody in on a free before there is nobody available. If Shorey does move after that, spend the money in January, but it would be idiotic to start the season without an actual left-winger at the club. Even so, the centre of midfield is probably our strongest area, with Adam Chambers among the best in the league, and capable of doing the dirty work and servicing the more attack-minded players, such is his energy. Thornton or Demetriou must play alongside him; Thornton is the most creative player in the side and Chambers alongside him will allow him to dictate the tempo of a game, though I'd prefer Demetriou, as he is more hungry, energetic and mobile. As things stand, however, Demetriou would have to go on the left wing. He is quick and tricky but his delivery is lacking and his left foot isn't of much use, which is why he is wasted there and why we have to get a left-winger in the building. JJ Melligan, who has looked a different player in pre-season, will start on the right. He isn't the quickest, but he works very hard, and has started to pass the ball better and work on his delivery. Three of our strikers - Gray, Dawkins and Jarvis - are described as 'able to to a job' on the right. Paul Terry must be fourth-choice centre mid and no more. His footballing ability is very limited, but he can be of some use when closing out games. We also have a cracking prospect called Solomon Shields, who is an all-action midfield player, and comfortably our best youth player. We actually do have a left-winger in Loick Pires on our books, but he is not ready to make the step-up to the first team. Our midfield does looks short on height too, meaning we could be bullied by the over-physical types.

If Adam Boyd receives the right service in attack, then he is capable of scoring at least 20 goals. If we get the new left-winger in, combined with an upturn in Melligan's form and playing Demetriou or Thornton alongside Chambers, he should get that service. What we also need to find is the ideal strike-partner for him. We have Wayne Gray and have signed Ryan Jarvis and Simon Dawkins this summer. I would plump for Dawkins, who has looked impressive so far; he is pacy, intelligent and composed on the ball and not afraid to run with it. I'd say he's similar to Wayne Gray but better technically. Ryan Jarvis was signed to be the target-man, but my worry is that he's not somebody to win flick-ons, so his job will be to hold the ball up. However, his first touch isn't very good at all. He is more of a player who is lethal in the box, decent outside it and more mobile, but not quite as prolific as Boyd. If Ling finds the right pairing up front, we will be very profitable in front of goal this season.

Verdict:

The starting XI is capable of challenging for a playoff place, and that would be further strengthened if a left-winger was brought in. However, depth will prove to be our downfall once again, as injuries and suspensions prove something of an inevitability. Martin Ling has improved Leyton Orient's league position in every season since taking charge, and though a significant 6-8 place rise may be unlikely this time round, it is possible that last season's 14th-placed finish is built on. However, this improvement can only happen so many times, and sooner or later there will be a season in which we finish lower than the previous one, and it looks like it could happen this season. The good start last season came from the unpredictability factor, and though the team is a year more experienced, there are still some glaring weaknesses which were found out as last season progressed. With the side we have, we shouldn't be relegated, but the depth is not there to sustain a playoff challenge, with a cluster of inexperienced teenagers making up the squad numbers. Another mid-table finish is the likely outcome, which I would take. 16th

Millwall
Last Season: 17th

Ground: The New Den (20,146 capacity) - Last season's average was 8,669

Manager: Kenny Jackett (est. 2007)

Players In: Ashley Grimes (Manchester City, undisclosed); Tony Craig (Crystal Palace, undisclosed); David Forde (Cardiff City, free); Nadjim Abdou (Plymouth Argyle, free)

Players Out: Bas Savage (Tranmere Rovers, free); Rhys Evans; Lenny Pidgeley (both released)

David Forde
Danny Senda; Paul Robinson; Zak Whitbread; Tony Craig
Chris Hackett; Danny Spiller; Marc Laird; Dave Martin
Lewis Grabban; Neil Harris

Goalkeeper David Forde has experience in this league, having featured for Luton and Bournemouth last season on loan, though I don't know too much about his goalkeeping credentials. Danny Senda is one of the best attacking fullbacks in the league, though his defensive capabilities are questionable, and it is reported that he will be out injured until February. I'd imagine that Marcus Bignot would fill in, who is pretty solid and tries hard, if a little lacking in the quality department. The central defensive pairing of Paul Robinson and Zak Whitbread looks good; both are good defenders, with the American probably the more stylish of the two. Tony Craig will complete the defensive line-up on the left side. The defence could do with a bit more cover, with backup coming only in the shape of Scott Barron, who has only made a handful of appearances for the club, and left-back Andrew Frampton, who is not the greatest player at this level. The defence looks solid enough, but without Senda it is lacking pace and attacking nous. It should do its primitive job i.e. defending, but don't expect the attacking players to get much support from the back.

Millwall have a potentially dangerous midfield, with Chris Hackett and Dave Martin providing pace and crossing ability down the wings. Marc Laird's creativity will be complemented by the energy and aggression of Danny Spiller to break up opposition attacks. Millwall have an abundance of midfielders, with Ali Fuseini and new signing Nadjim Abdou playing more defensive roles, Ashley Grimes and Ahmet Brkovic being more attack-minded and creative, and Ryan Smith providing cover for the wings. They also have experience in Dave Brammer, though his days as a player suited to League One may be coming to an end. There is the experience and middle ground in midfield to go with the younger players such as Laird and Martin, but both Chris Hackett and Danny Spiller will be making returns from injury this season, so it may take them a while to get back to normal. Furthermore, the midfield looks lightweight, and, due to the defensive-mindedness of the, er, defence, as mentioned above, they will struggle against teams who back the midfield because of the lack of support from behind.

Lewis Grabban will be the main threat to the opposition goal, but he is still very raw and unpredictable. Nevertheless, Laird's creativity and Neil Harris' footballing brain should ensure him a few chances at least and the chance to get double figures. My concern is, however, he is still only 20 so is prone to inconsistency, meaning that it is likely that the goals will dry up for him at some stage during the season. Millwall don't seem to have another striker who can score goals. Harris will be a good learning source for the young Grabban, and Alexander will work extremely hard, but neither are prolific enough. Millwall's striking department looks very goal-shy, and it doesn't look like they have the goals from midfield either to supplement that.

Verdict:

Millwall's season-long struggle against relegation in 2007/08 was far from acceptable, and Kenny Jackett took over after a disastrous first couple of months in charge after Willie Donachie. Make no mistake, though, it did some damage and it will take time to turn round. Jackett did what he had to do in maintaining the Lions' League One status, though he may be disappointed that they kept on looking like they were going to pull away from the bottom before getting sucked back into it. He has made some signings which will shore them up defensively, which is step one of the rectification, as the side did concede 61 goals last season, but the attack remains a worry. There is now some stability in the defence meaning that they shouldn't concede as many, and a creative (yet lightweight) midfield looks a step in the right direction, but striking defficiencies mean that they'll probably be low-scoring draw specialists this season, and find it difficult to get back into a game when they concede one, especially when a side sits behind the ball. Jackett is an alright manager, who is playing to his preferences in building from the back, and it is looking a decent squad, especially with an overload of good midfielders, but with goals hard to come by, it's difficult to see Millwall achieving anything more than a high bottom-half finish this season. 14th

Milton Keynes Dons
Last Season: 1st (League Two)

Ground: stadium:mk (22,000 capacity)

Manager: Roberto Di Matteo (replaces Paul Ince)

Players In: Peter Leven (Chesterfield, free); Florian Sturm (FC Vaduz, free)

Players Out: Lloyd Dyer (Leicester City, free); Gareth Edds (Tranmere Rovers, free); Colin Cameron (Dundee, free); Mustapha Carayol (Torquay United, free)

Willy Guéret
Jude Stirling; Drissa Diallo; Sean O'Hanlon; Dean Lewington
Mark Wright; Keith Andrews; Alan Navarro; Florian Sturm
Jemal Johnson; Aaron Wilbraham

Willy Guéret at 34 has a wealth of experience in this league and will be important to MK Dons' chances this season. Dean Lewington is a very good left-back who I can see making the step-up, and Sean O'Hanlon should do the same. On the contrary, I'm not sure that Jude Stirling is anything more than a League Two player, and 35-year-old Drissa Diallo at the back, while experienced, will be a concern. In fact, I do see a lack of pace in the Dons' defence, especially in the centre, with Diallo's legs going. Sean O'Hanlon's positional sense will be of a help if Diallo is caught out but he is not the quickest himself, and the opposition attack will profit a number of times. Cover for the defence also looks a bit thin, with only Carl Regan and Danny Swailes present as defenders. Swailes in particular I feel will be out of his depth in League One.

They do have a fair number of goals from midfield, with both Mark Wright and Keith Andrews hitting double figures last season, though it is still unclear whether the latter will remain at the club. Alan Navarro will be doing the defensive duties in midfield and trying to feed Andrews and Wright as much as possible. New signing Florian Sturm will be hoping to settle in quickly, though I would have my reservations over a player who has never made a senior international appearance for a nation that is ranked 105th in the world. New signing Peter Leven impressed at Chesterfield last season and I think he's one who can make the step-up. There are several other midfielders in the side but I'm not sure whether any of them are good enough for League One. Two of them are youngsters who have only ever made a couple of appearances for the side, and the other, Paul Mitchell, was farmed out to Wrexham on loan last season, and he's 26. More cover is needed here methinks.

The striking department looks a big worry to me as well. MK Dons never had an out and out goalscorer last season, relying more on their supply from midfield to make up for it, and they haven't solved that problem yet this summer. I'd go for Jemal Johnson up front, as he is their only striker who has pace, which is needed in attack to achieve at this level. He's nothing more than a pace merchant in my opinion, though, and his finishing isn't good enough to average a goal every three games. I'd wager he'll even struggle to hit double figures. The same goes for Aaron Wilbraham, who I would put as a targetman alongside Johnson. He'll have his work cut out to find the net on a regular basis in League One. Kevin Gallen brings experience and a footballing brain, but I think his best days are behind him. Unless they sign a striker, the Dons will experience shortcomings this season.

Verdict:

A lot of bookies have installed MK Dons as 3rd or 4th favourites to win the league, and I can only think that they've arrived at that conclusion on the side having financial clout and gaining 97 points last season. While 97 points is a fantastic achievement, there is a step-up to be made, even if it isn't that substantial, and there have been changes at the club, including an entire overhaul of the backroom staff. The side looks significantly weaker than I expected it to look, and the lack of pace in their defence will be exposed in League One. The squad looks fairly thin on overall quality, and the lack of goals from the strikers is a problem that must be addressed. There is also no guarantee that Wright and Andrews will repeat their goalscoring exploits of last season. Finally, losing Paul Ince is a huge blow, and I'm surprised that the club chose to appoint Roberto Di Matteo, a man with no managerial experience, in place of managers with infinitely more proven track records. He has some big shoes to fill, and with the managerial circumstances alongside the players present at the club, unless Di Matteo turns out to be a genius, MK Dons don't look capable of achieving anything better than a lower mid-table finish, with a relegation battle a real possibility. 18th

Northampton Town
Last Season: 9th

Ground: Sixfields (7,653 capacity) - Last season's average was 5,409

Manager: Stuart Gray (est. 2007)

Players In: Liam Davis (Coventry City, free); Abdul Osman (Gretna, free); Leon Constantine (Leeds United, free); Luke Guttridge (Colchester United, free)

Players Out: Poul Hübertz (Akademisk Boldklub, free); Joe Burnell (Oxford United, free); Danny May; Brett Johnson (both released)

Mark Bunn
Jason Crowe; Gábor Gyepes; Chris Doig; Danny Jackman
Ian Henderson; Giles Coke; Luke Guttridge; Liam Davis
Leon Constantine; Adebayo Akinfenwa

Mark Bunn is arguably the best goalkeeper in the division at this moment in time and him pulling off numerous superb saves in a match, which he reportedly did last season, will lay the foundations for Northampton to progress this season. He also has a strong, solid defence in front of him, with Chris Doig and Hungarian international Gyepes able to dominate aerial battles and also read the game. Jason Crowe is a solid right-back who is also good going forward and has excellent stamina, whilst Danny Jackman on the left, despite his lack of height, is aggressive and likes a tackle. The age balance is good, with Crowe, Gyepes and Doig in their peak years and Jackman approaching his at 24. The defence will also benefit as it hasn't had much change to it over the last year; Gyepes and Jackman are the only ones who have not been present since 2006 or earlier. The Cobblers also have good cover in their ranks, with Mark Hughes and Andy Holt solid enough, and Liam Dolman showing promise. 55 goals were conceded last season, which isn't a lot, and there is every chance of Northampton bettering that this season.

New signing Luke Guttridge and Giles Coke provide a strong spine down the centre of midfield, with both of them being exciting, hard-working players who are both full of flair. Guttridge works hard, and also sprays beautiful passes about. At 26, he is something of an old head in Northampton's youthful midfield. One downside is his attitude is prone to taking a downturn, but there is no doubting his ability. If Guttridge and Coke can work in tandem this will provide the basis for a dynamic and efficient Cobblers midfield. I expect new signing Liam Davis to occupy the spot on the left wing, and his skill and delivery will be of benefit to the heighty front line. On the downside, there doesn't appear to be a natural right-winger in the squad, so I've gone for Ian Henderson, who is capable of filling in there. Ryan Gilligan is another hard-working yet creative central midfield player, who is also very young. He will be a very good option for the side if one of Guttridge and Coke is unavailable. The Cobblers also have new signing Abdul Osman and the young Alex Dyer in the squad, who look fairly good, but a natural right-winger is a must for the club, I'd say. Another thing is that the midfield above has a combined age of 88, which isn't a lot when it consists of four players. It doesn't get any older throughout the midfield, so a little bit of experience is needed there.

I fancy Leon Constantine and Bayo Akinfenwa to work well up front. Both are physical but also mobile enough to get in behind defenders, and both of them know where the goal is. We may see the ball in the air a fair bit with these two up front, though they are both able to score from crosses into the box as well, and with two passing midfielders in the side that would make sense. I would be slightly concerned if one of them was to get injured, however, as Ian Henderson (who is filling in on the right wing) is yet to score for the Cobblers, and Colin Larkin has only found the net once. It is possible that the latter may settle in after a year now, though, having found the net only once in 24 appearances last season. I think Northampton may need another striker just to be absolutely sure.

Verdict:

Northampton will do well I think but depth up front in particular may hold them back. They have a smallish squad, but it is very compact i.e. concentrated with talent rather than loose ends making up the numbers. They also have a very young squad, with Andy Holt being the only player in the side who is upwards of 30. However, it is possible to achieve a playoff position with a young squad, as Carlisle did last year. What I think will work in Northampton's favour is that although they did well last season, the bookies have failed to notice their progress and have ignored them as contenders. A lot of good young players don't know what pressure is, and there won't be a great deal of that on Northampton this season, considering the odds that have been given. Furthermore, Stuart Gray has made excellent progress since taking charge of the club and knows how to get the best out of his players, transforming the Cobblers into an efficient side in the process. Mark Bunn and a solid defence will provide the platform for success, and if they can keep their front pairing fit, I think they'll reach the playoff places. 4th

Oldham Athletic
Last Season: 8th

Ground: Boundary Park (10,638 capacity*) - Last season's average was 5,326

*10,638 is the capacity while one of the stands is developed this season. Full capacity is 13,559.

Manager: John Sheridan (est. 2006)

Players In: Chris O'Grady (Rotherham United, undisclosed); Dale Stephens (Bury, tribunal); Greg Fleming (Gretna, free); Kieran Lee (Manchester United, free); Danny Whitaker (Port Vale, free); David Williams (Manchester United, free); Kevin Maher (Southend United, free)

Players Out: Gary MacDonald (Aberdeen, free)

Mark Crossley
Neal Eardley; Sean Gregan; Reuben Hazell; Kieran Lee
Danny Whitaker; Kevin Maher; Mark Allott; Chris Taylor
Craig Davies; Lee Hughes

Mark Crossley is still going strong at 39 and should be reliable between the sticks for the Latics this season. He has a good understudy in Greg Fleming, who is only 21 and can learn plenty from the veteran. In the centre of defence, Sean Gregan and Reuben Hazell complement each other well, with Hazell's pace making up for 34-year-old Gregan's lack of it. Gregan can still rely on his experience, toughness and knowledge of the game, though, and he has good distribution, which comes from his time as a midfielder. Backing these two up will be Stefan Stam, who is a good, experienced League One defender, and John Thompson. who is a good backup player to have for a squad chasing promotion. Right-back Neal Eardley is regarded as one of the brightest prospects in the league, providing composure which belies his 19 years of age, and a mean shot from long range. I've gone for Kieran Lee at left-back, whose experience at Manchester United could play a key part, even though he's only 20, as will his versatility across the pitch. Oldham also have 21-year-old Kelvin Lomax at left-back.

Kevin Maher and Mark Allott both provide experience in the middle of the park, but neither are past it yet. Maher I imagine will play a 'destroyer' role in midfield, but he combines this defensive ability and aggression with a good eye for a pass, while Allott has a good engine on him and has always been a reliable, all-round performer. Both of these two I think will chip in with a decent amount of goals to aid the team. On the left wing, Chris Taylor is progressing nicely and his trickery will cause defences problems, as will his height, which sees him score a lot of goals from crosses to the back post. On the other side, Danny Whitaker can also score goals and his creativity will be key. Oldham also have Jean-Paul Kalala, who is capable of filling in and a nice backup to have, the experienced Andy Liddell who is still a reliable performer and new young signing Dale Stephens. Oldham look to have goals across the midfield; none of them will reach double figures, but they will all chip in with decent amounts, and the four starting are capable of scoring 20-25 between them, which is a significant contribution.

Oldham look to have a prolific partnership up front in Craig Davies and Lee Hughes, which was unfortunately for them, taken apart by injury too often last season. Davies is quick, strong, powerful, aggressive and a good finisher, which will benefit Lee Hughes as Davies will attract the attention of a lot of defenders. Hughes is 33 now but he still knows where the goal is and is still a lethal finisher. He is also surprisingly good in the air, considering he isn't exactly of a towering height. This partnership is capable of scoring a combined total of at least 35 goals if they stay injury-free, with a good possibility of more. The injury front will be a worry, though, but Oldham do have new signing Chris O'Grady, who will chip in with his fair share and is also a nuisance for defenders with his height. Two young striking prospects are also capable of coming to the fore this season; they are Deane Smalley and Lewis Allessandra, both of whom are capable of filling in in midfield as well.

Verdict:

Oldham's side looks good. I thought the loss of Gary MacDonald would be significant, but Oldham have replaced him and strengthened beyond that. They have a good defence with plenty of depth, a creative midfield with goals in it which is also hard-working and prepared for physical battles, and a very dangerous attack. Furthermore, manager John Sheridan is a club legend and the board have provided stability by sticking with him. He showed that his first season in charge wasn't a fluke and displayed credentials by recovering from a rocky start to finish 8th. He has made a lot of signings, meaning there will be a period of settling in, and the redevelopment of Boundary Park, thus reducing the capacity for this season, could have a detrimental effect on their home form. The fact that Oldham have been here in League One for so long may play on their minds if they're up there as the season draws to a close, but as I said, there is stability, a strong, cohesive side with the right blend of age, which will be a danger from set-pieces with its height, that looks easily capable of improving on last season's effort of 8th. They should be in the playoffs come the end of the season. 5th

Peterborough United

Last Season: 2nd (League Two)

Ground: London Road (15,460 capacity)

Manager: Darren Ferguson (est. 2007)

Players In: Scott Rendell (Cambridge United, £115,000); Sergio Torres (Wycombe Wanderers, £100,000); Paul Coutts (Cove Rangers, undisclosed); Russell Martin (Wycombe Wanderers, free)

Players Out: Adam Newton (Brentford, free); Rene Howe (Morecambe, season-long loan); Claude Gnapka (released)

Joe Lewis
Russell Martin; Craig Morgan; Charlie Lee; Shane Blackett
Sergio Torres; Dean Keates; Micah Hyde; George Boyd
Aaron McLean; Craig Mackail-Smith

Joe Lewis at 6'6" between the sticks will provide a daunting nemesis for strikers in this division, and there is no doubting his ability as a 'keeper. Craig Morgan and Charlie Lee were very solid for Peterborough last season as they conceded just 45 goals, but I feel their lack of pace may be exposed, and it will be up to left-back Shane Blackett to try and get them out of tricky situations. Morgan is good positionally so may enjoy some success but I feel both centre-halves will be exposed without pace alongside them. I'm tipping Lee to become another John Mackie. He loves a tackle, battles really hard and is aggressive, like Mackie did in League Two for us, but I think he'll come a cropper at the hands of nippy, clinical strikers. Mind you, Joe Lewis is capable of getting them out of jail on a good number of occasions, and Russell Martin is an energetic right-back. Chris Westwood provides decent cover, and there are a handful of other defenders, but they look like League Two players to me. The defence is also very young, though Westwood is experienced enough if he plays.

The midfield has plenty of goals, flair and creativity, but it looks to attack-minded to me. Torres is tricky and nippy on the wing and should be a handful, while George Boyd on the other side, while not the quickest, has excellent skill, vision, a good shot and is a yard or two ahead of the game mentally. Hyde is a good passer and Keates is a player who will pop up in the final third with goals, and work hard to find space to receive the ball. I can't see much defensive nous in that midfield, though, I have to say, which will expose their defence. Micah Hyde and Dean Keates do provide experience, however, and depth is vast in Jamie Day and Chris Whelpdale, who will both be adequate at this level. They also have a youngster called Alfie Potter, who has been tipped for a bright future.

Peterborough are renowned for having one of the most dangerous attacks in the lower leagues, and both McLean and Mackail-Smith look capable of handling the step-up to League One. McLean's blistering pace will be a lot for defenders to handle, though I do hear that he is prone to missing the odd sitter, and he may not get as many clearcut chances in this league. He should, however, easily get double figures. McLean is of course assisted by the work-rate and intelligence of his strike partner Craig Mackail-Smith. He combines mobility, effort and a good footballing brain with an eye for goal, and he should also be comfortably in double figures. The partnership does look capable of 40 goals if both handle the step-up well. 21-year-old Scott Rendell has signed permanently from local rivals Cambridge United after a successful loan spell last season, and he looks like he'll develop into a useful player, though I think Posh may need a little more backup, as Danny Crow looks to have been frozen out of the club and if Liam Hatch is a League One footballer, I'm Tamika Mkandawire!

Verdict:

Peterborough are being built up for another promotion challenge, and while I think that back-to-back promotions is a definite possibility, it may be a season too soon. They have a good group of players but as I said the defence may be found out in some aspects and they lack a defensive-minded midfielder. The squad does look good for a top-half finish at least, and the promotion momentum I think will see them challenging for the playoffs. However, I think Darren Ferguson will meet a few matches tactically in this league, as, without wishing to be cynical, in League Two he largely relied on having better players than the opposition. He won't have as much of that luxury in this league, though it will still apply in some cases. Also, his record with signings isn't the best, and he has been working largely with a squad he inherited. The momentum, confidence and goals they have in the side, though, will see them finish comfortably in the top half with a playoff challenge being mounted, but they'll just fall short of that second hurdle. 7th

Scunthorpe United
Last Season: 23rd (Championship)

Ground: Glanford Park (9,183 capacity)

Manager: Nigel Adkins (est. 2006)

Players In: Gary Hooper (Southend United, £175,000); Garry Thompson (Morecambe, free); Kenny Milne (Falkirk, free)

Players Out: Martin Paterson (Burnley, £1,000,000); Jim Goodwin (Huddersfield Town, free); Andy Butler (Huddersfield Town, free)

Joe Murphy
Cliff Byrne; Ezomo Iriekpen; Kenny Milne; Marcus Williams
Garry Thompson; Matt Sparrow; Grant McCann; Kevan Hurst
Paul Hayes; Gary Hooper

Joe Murphy was an important part of the Scunthorpe side that won this league two seasons ago, and he'll be key for them this season too, except I hear he's injured and set to miss a sizeable chunk of the season. I'm not convinced by the other 'keeper in the side Josh Lillis, so don't be surprised if Scunny get another 'keeper in, perhaps on loan. The defence looks decent, and is probably the strongest part of the team. Iriekpen's pace and physicality should help new signing Milne to settle in quickly enough, while Marcus Williams is a key component at left-back with his pace and energy, though I'd say he's better going forward than defensively. On the other side, Cliff Byrne is a solid, tireless player if unspectacular and lacking in the quality department. He will be reliable at right-back, though. I'm really not sure about the defensive cover, though, as although Andy Crosby has been a consistent performer over the years, he is getting on a bit at 35, and there are a couple of unproven youngsters with squad numbers. I'm also wondering how the defence will react to not having Joe Murphy behind them. After all, in 2005/06 (the season before Murphy's arrival), Cliff Byrne and Marcus Williams were part of a defence that conceded 73 goals.

Matt Sparrow, who is comfortable in League One, and at 24 is still yet to reach his best, will be the central figure in Scunthorpe's midfield for me. His energy and passing ability will be key, as will that of Grant McCann, who is pretty creative. On the wing Garry Thompson has signed from Morecambe and is 27; he chipped in with his fair share for Morecambe, but it remains to be seen how he handles the step-up. Kevan Hurst on the left can beat players, but I'm not convinced by his end product. Saying that, he is only 22 and has time to work on it. This is another attack-minded midfield, which looks too attack-minded for me, and very lightweight - both of the central midfielders (Sparrow and McCann) weigh under 70kg! I wouldn't say that Thompson and Hurst are renowned for their battling qualities either. Teams with big bulldozers and destroyers in their side will plough through that midfield, I'm afraid. Ian Baraclough provides resistance and reinforcement, but at 37, it's hard to see him playing many games. Scunthorpe also have Andrew Wright and Ian Morris, who are both decent young(ish) players, and explosive winger Jonathan Forte, who is another one that I feel flatters to deceive (i.e. all pace and no end product).

Scunthorpe, when they got promoted, had the famous striking duo of Billy Sharp and Andy Keogh, the latter of whom left halfway through the season. Both were very prolific and worked well, but I'm not sure about this partnership. Gary Hooper, while I think he's a decent striker, is not worth £175,000 and that could be accompanied by pressure on his shoulders, which is a bad thing considering he's only 20, and having to fill the void left by last season's leading scorer, Martin Paterson. He is nippy, strong for his size and a decent finisher. He will sometimes be bullied out of games, though, and is easily frustrated. Paul Hayes is somebody who works hard, is decent in the air and knows where the goal is, though he has only ever really produced in League Two. He's only 24, which means Scunthorpe have a young partnership, but I'm not sure either player will surpass 10 goals. Ben May won't score enough goals either. Winger Jonathan Forte can also play up front but his finishing means he won't be prolific enough.

Verdict:

Scunthorpe are in for a tough season, I reckon. Their squad, player for player, is by no means the weakest in the division, but in areas it looks to be a case of square pegs in round holes. There is depth lacking in a lot of areas and I can't see the side working as a unit. Furthermore, I'm not convinced by Nigel Adkins as manager. Yes, he took over when Brian Laws left and managed to win the league, but Scunthorpe were on the crest of a wave then and had plenty of momentum. Now they've fallen off, and are working with reverse momentum, which doesn't look like stopping instantaneously for me. Scunny will need to call on old heads like Crosby and Baraclough, who have been at the club for a long time, but it's up to the players on the pitch to deliver as well, and as I said, the side doesn't look an entirely cohesive unit. It will be interesting to see how capable Adkins is of arresting the slide, but these circumstances, combined with poor support (I read not many season tickets have been sold this season) I think will leave the Iron in the thick of a relegation battle. 19th

Southend United
Last Season: 6th (playoff semi-finalists)

Ground: Roots Hall (12,306 capacity) - Last season's average was 8,173

Manager: Steve Tilson (est. 2003)

Players In: James Walker (Charlton Athletic, free); Steve Mildenhall (Yeovil Town, free); Osei Sankofa (Charlton Athletic, free); Paul Furlong (Luton Town, free); Ian Joyce (Watford, free)

Players Out: Gary Hooper (Scunthorpe United, £175,000); Zoltán Lipták (Ujpest FC, £60,000); Charlie MacDonald (Brentford, undisclosed); Mark Gower (Swansea City, free); Darryl Flahavan (Crystal Palace, free); Kevin Maher (Oldham Athletic, free); Steve Collis (Crewe Alexandra, free); Lewis Hunt (Wycombe Wanderers, free); Che Wilson; Tommy Black (both released)

Steve Mildenhall
Simon Francis; Adam Barrett; Peter Clarke; Osei Sankofa
Franck Moussa; Alan McCormack; Nicky Bailey; Damian Scannell
Lee Barnard; James Walker

Steve Mildenhall has played two seasons in League One with Yeovil Town, and while I think he's a decent 'keeper, I think he's a step down from the departed Darryl Flahavan. Nonetheless, Adam Barrett and Peter Clarke are a very solid and reliable pairing at the heart of Southend's defence, though the latter of the two has been transfer listed after a contract dispute. Simon Francis is a decent, solid right-back and should perform well with the guidance of Barrett, while new signing Osei Sankofa is capable of playing anywhere across the back four. He should improve the defensive qualities as I feel he is better at defending than previous left-back Charlie Mulgrew. However, there appears to be absolutely zero defensive cover, which is worrying.

The spine of midfield looks strong, but last season's Player of the Season, Nicky Bailey, is another one who has been transfer listed for contract reasons. We'll have to wait and see whether he's still at the club come the end of the transfer window. If he does stay, and keeps his head down and works hard, and he is that sort of person, it will be a massive plus for Southend. His drive, energy and ability to score from midfield make him the heartbeat of the Southend team. The tenacity of Bailey's partner Alan McCormack, as well as his own goalscoring ability, makes for a dangerous midfield pairing. On the wing, Franck Moussa has earned rave reviews from a number of Southend fans, and he is another very aggressive player who is not afraid to put a tackle in, despite his slight figure. He is also another who appears to have goals in him, though at 19, he will be a little raw. On the other side I've gone for Damian Scannell, who featured sporadically for Southend last season off the bench. He is unproven and unpredictable, though he was highly rated in non-league football, and garnered interest from Leeds and Forest. He'll be another unpredictable one should he come to the fore this season.

The striking department looks to be Southend's strongest area. James Walker is a striker who works hard, has blistering pace and is capable of scoring a spectacular goal. His work-rate alone will be a nightmare for defenders, and this will suit Lee Barnard, who is lethal from inside the box, and also a hard worker himself. I feel Barnard is capable of getting 20 goals or more if he is adequately serviced, and Walker should be able to creep into double figures if he is given a consistent run of games in the side. Southend have also signed Paul Furlong, and although he is nearing 40, I don't think it will be as bizarre a signing as some are saying. He still works very hard and is capable of scoring a fair few, and he also has a very good footballing brain. This will be very useful for Barnard and Walker to learn from, as they are 24 and 20 respectively. The Shrimpers also have a different option up front in Alex Revell, who at 6'3" can win headers and generally cause problems with his height. The other strikers, Matt Harold and Richie Foran, don't look like they'll be a part of the club for much longer, but up front is probably the area where Southend are the most well-covered.

Verdict:

It's a very tough one this, very tough indeed. The starting XI doesn't actually look too bad, and is probably top-eight material, particularly with the strong spine in place. However, if Nicky Bailey and Peter Clarke go, the side will be considerably weakened. There is also virtually no depth in the side except for in attack. A key injury or two and Southend are in serious trouble. I should think they will sign a handful of players before the season does begin, though. There is plenty of goals in the attack, which will also be supplemented by the midfield, so I can see Southend scoring a lot this season. The defence is solid, but like I said, an injury or suspension and they're in trouble. Steve Tilson is a good manager, though, who has given Southend almost five years of service, and endeared himself to the faithful during that process, and he'll make sure he gets the best out of his players. He also does tend to make good signings; I rate his judgement of a player. The squad is too thin to emulate last season's playoff finish, but I don't think they'll be in a relegation battle. Mid-table. 13th

Stockport County
Last Season: 4th (League Two)

Ground: Edgeley Park (10,651 capacity) - Last season's average was 5,643

Manager: Jim Gannon (est. 2005)

Players In: Carl Baker (Morecambe, £225,000); Peter Thompson (Linfield, £100,000); John Mullins (Mansfield Town, nominal); Owain Fôn Williams (Crewe Alexandra, tribunal); Stephen Gleeson (Wolverhampton Wanderers, 6-month-loan)

Players Out: Liam Dickinson (Derby County, £1,000,000); Ashley Williams (Swansea City, £400,000); Adam Proudlock (Darlington, free); Adam Griffin (Darlington, free); David Poole (Darlington, free); Daniel Ellis (Droylsden, free); Chris Adamson; Amari Morgan Smith; Craig Flowers; Chris Coward; Robert Clare; James Smith (all released)

Owain Fôn Williams
John Mullins; Gareth Owen; Jim McNulty; Michael Rose
Dominic Blizzard
Carl Baker; Gary Dicker; Tommy Rowe
Stephen Gleeson
Peter Thompson

Stockport had a tight defence last season, and although both the goalkeepers they had were loanees and have since returned to their parent clubs, Owain Fôn Williams is at a similar age to Conrad Logan and the same age as John Ruddy, so you could argue that they are all as unproven in League One as each other. Anyway, at 6'4" the Welsh stopper does certainly pose an imposing presence between the goalpoasts. Gareth Owen and Jim McNulty have been a solid pairing since January, and at 25, skipper Owen is one of the more senior members of this very young squad. He will be marshalling the defence and communicating, though he may get found out due to his lack of pace, but I fancy Jim McNulty to do well alongside him. John Mullins will also cover on occasions, and he is a pretty speedy right-back, who gets up and down the pitch, contributes in attack but can also defend. He is also a more footballing-orientated player. I have to say that I'm not entirely convinced by Michael Rose at left-back, however, but I think there are a few worse. Stockport do have cover in three young defenders, two aged 19 and one aged 20, who haven't played a great deal of football between them, though striker Matty McNeil is also capable of filling in at centre-half. I think it would be a wise move if Jim Gannon drafted in another defender.

Dominic Blizzard should play an anchorman role in midfield, and that will be important to me as Gareth Owen won't be exposed quite as much by speedy frontmen. He will be there to nip attacks in the bud and feed the midfielders in front of him or the overlapping fullbacks. At 6'2" his height is also a big plus as it means he can win headers, provide resistance to physicality and make him a more imposing task for an attacking player to overcome. Gary Dicker can cover a lot of ground and pick out passes, which will benefit the wingers and the attack. I've gone for new signing Carl Baker on the right and Tommy Rowe on the left. Baker's trickery and Rowe's sheer energy and fitness will worry defences. The wingers will also be able to pick out 19-year-old playmaker Stephen Gleeson, who has re-signed for the club on loan from Wolves. Gleeson is tall, skillful, intelligent, confident and capable of scoring belters, including a 25-yard volley in the playoff semi-final against Wycombe. Backup comes in the shape of 20-year-old Anthony Pilkington, who is capable of playing on both wings and up front, 21-year-old Jason Taylor who is a central midfielder, and a handful of other youngsters who haven't played much. Like with the defence, I think it would be a good move if Gannon brought in another midfielder, who had experience.

Stockport lost their main goal supply Liam Dickinson to Derby for a 7-figure sum, but have moved to replace him with Peter Thompson, who was very prolific for Linfield in Northern Ireland. He does not have the same physical presence that Dickinson has, but seems to be a hard worker who moves well off the ball, and knows where the goal is, judging by his record. Stockport often played 4-5-1 last season so I'd imagine that they've signed a striker who is suited to the lone ranger role up front. Even so, Thompson will get plenty of service from the likes of Dicker, Gleeson, Baker and Rowe. I think Stockport definitely need another striker, though, as they only have 32-year-old Matty McNeil, who is the oldest player in the squad, and by all accounts wasn't even rated by the fans in League Two. Thompson is capable of getting 15 goals, but there doesn't seem to be a great deal else.

Verdict:

Blimey! This is possibly the youngest squad I've ever seen. Jim Gannon has done a remarkable job at Edgeley Park, taking over with the club rock-bottom of the football league, having just lost 6-0 at Macclesfield, but turning their fortunes around, securing League One football after just two full seasons, and assembling a young, capable and exciting squad of players. League One will obviously be a tougher proposition, but I rate Gannon as a manager and he'll rally his troops and prepare them for the coming months. They do lack a little experience and depth in certain areas, but they won't go down. They have the promotion momentum, and are oozing confidence, which will not be dented as the bookies aren't expecting anything special from them this season. Peter Thompson is capable of getting double figures, though it may take the side a while to adjust to his different style from Dickinson. The defence looks good and Blizzard will play a very important role in protecting it. The side is also very tall, thus a danger from set-pieces and capable of physical battles. The youthfulness of the squad means they will be erratic and the lack of experience will cost them a few league places, but they look good for a mid-table finish. 15th

Swindon Town
Last Season: 13th

Ground: The County Ground (15,728 capacity) - Last season's average was 7,170

Manager: Maurice Malpas (est. 2008)

Players In: Kevin Amankwaah (Swansea City, free); Michael Timlin (Fulham, free); Lilian Nalis (Plymouth Argyle, free)

Players Out: Chris Blackburn (Aldershot Town, free); Miguel Comminges (Cardiff City, free) Sofiene Zaaboub (Walsall, free); Kaid Mohamed (Forest Green Rovers, free); Andrew Nicholas (released); Adrian Williams (retired)

Peter Brezovan
Jack Smith; Hasney Aljofree; Jerel Ifil; Jamie Vincent
Jon-Paul McGovern; Michael Timlin; Craig Easton; Anthony McNamee
Billy Paynter; Simon Cox

Peter Brezovan is one of the best goalkeepers in the league, and his return to fitness is a huge boost for Swindon. His 6'7" frame makes it easier for him to reach well-placed shots and catch high balls. Their other main 'keeper is Phil Smith, who is also good at League One level, so they are well-covered in that area. In front of Brezovan will be a solid pairing in Aljofree and Ifil. Aljofree has experience, vocality, and is an aggressive player who likes a tackle and a physical battle. He does lack pace, but that will be complemented by the speedy Jerel Ifil partnering him, who is very quick, reads the game well and dominates the air. Jack Smith at right-back is a solid if unspectacular player and Jamie Vincent on the other side adds more experience, combined with composure and fitness. Swindon possess decent defensive backup, in Kevin Amankwaah who is capable of playing on the right or in the middle and putting in his shift and 21-year-old Pat Kanyuka. Perhaps a little more is needed, however, particularly on the left side.

Craig Easton will be the cog that makes the engine tick in midfield, with his all-action style. He is capable of finding his men, scoring goals (mainly spectacular ones) and he gets stuck into the physical battles, always closing down the opposition players. Michael Timlin alongside him is another player who is composed in the middle of midfield, and shows maturity despite being just 23. Lilian Nalis is another option for Swindon in the middle of the park, and even at 36, I believe him to be a good signing. I don't think he'll manage to play in all of Swindon's games, but he has an excellent footballing brain and creates from deep, protecting the defence at the same time. Anthony McNamee on the left-wing looks a dangerous component of Swindon's side. His pace and skill and intelligence will benefit the Robins' attack. They do need a right-winger, however. I have put McGovern there, as he is capable of doing a job there, but a more out-and-out winger for the right side is in order. Swindon also have Michael Pook as a central midfielder who is a good squad player at this level, I feel, as is Christian Roberts.

The main goal supply without doubt is Simon Cox. On fire in pre-season and capable of hitting in excess of 20 goals if given the service. He is a pacy, hard-working, intelligent striker and an excellent finisher, both in and outside the box. He will be helped by the physical presence of Billy Paynter or Barry Corr alongside him, both of whom are adept at winning headers, holding the ball up and playing with their backs to goal. Lee Peacock and Blair Sturrock are the other strikers on board at the County Ground, but I don't think they're good enough for League One, particularly in a side who are looking to achieve Championship football within a couple of years. Cox will score plenty, but I'm worried, on Swindon's part, who else from the strikers will, especially if Cox suffers a dip in form. He is only 21, remember.

Verdict:

It's a good side Swindon have, and they should improve on last season's 13th place, with a better, more settled side and better attendances. They combine a solid defence with a hard-working yet creative midfield and a dangerous attack. They do lack depth in a couple of key areas, unfortunately, and there is a danger of Cox enduring a barren spell in front of goal. Nonetheless, I like the age balance they have, with youth, experience and middle-ground all present, and it is a relatively settled side, with a good number of the starting line-up having been at the club for a good couple of years now. As for the manager Maurice Malpas, there are still question marks over him with people still remembering that he was something of a surprise appointment in January. His record at Motherwell wasn't the best, but he was only there for a season, and is still young in managerial terms and looking to improve. He has a good group of players and there is now no trouble behind the scenes to disrupt the club's on-pitch fortunes, which did happen last season. Things are looking up for Swindon and their ambition to be a Championship club within 2-3 years. They are on their way to achieving it, but it won't be this season, where I feel they will just fall short of the playoffs. 8th

Tranmere Rovers

Last Season: 11th

Ground: Prenton Park (16,567 capacity) - Last season's average was 6,504

Manager: Ronnie Moore (est. 2006)

Players In: Gareth Edds (Milton Keynes Dons, free); Bas Savage (Millwall, free); George O'Callaghan (Cork City, free); Edrissa Sonko (Walsall, free); Luke Waterfall (Barnsley, free); Godwin Antwi (Liverpool, 6-month loan)

Players Out: Calvin Zola (Crewe Alexandra, £200,000) Steve Davies (Derby County, tribunal); Paul McLaren (Bradford City, free); Shane Cansdell-Sherriff (Shrewsbury Town, free); Robbie Stockdale (Grimsby Town, free); John Mullin (Accrington Stanley, free); Michael Jones (Bury, free); Michael Johnston (released)

Danny Coyne
Antony Kay; Godwin Antwi; Ian Goodison; Andy Taylor
Chris Shuker; George O'Callaghan; Gareth Edds; Edrissa Sonko
Bas Savage; Chris Greenacre

34-year-old Danny Coyne is an experienced goalkeeper but I wouldn't say he's up there with the very best in the league. I think he'll do a job, but he won't win Tranmere many matches with sheer excellence. Captain Ian Goodison will be leading and organising the defence for another season, and at 35, his tutelage can bring loan signing Godwin Antwi a long way. I fancy the Ghanaian-Spanish Liverpool man to do well, as he wins a lot of headers due to his athletic leap, and his pace will make up for Goodison's lack of it. I do fear, though, that at 20, he may still be vulnerable to losing concentration at vital periods, which is not the best thing for a centre-back to do. Antony Kay I think will play right-back, but he is also capable of playing at centre-half, and a defensive midfield role. He is another player who, in my opinion, falls into the 'solid but unspectacular' category. He is tough defensively but won't be the best going forward, though he does score a good number of goals for a defender, and can take penalties. Despite being only 25, he has experience at this level, having been part of the playoff-winning Barnsley side of 2005/06. Andy Taylor I feel will complete the defensive-looking defence. He is another who I feel is better at defending than attacking. As cover, Tranmere have midfielder Gareth Edds who is also capable of playing in defence, but only three youngsters in addition, who have made a grand total of zero first-team apperances between themselves.

Gareth Edds, I imagine will play a defensive role in midfield, looking to break up opposition attacks, and Tranmere fans will remember him from his MK Dons days, where he scored twice to keep the club in League One on the final day. He has just been released by the League Two champions, however, though admittedly, I think that signifies a sign of ambition on the Dons' part. The Aussie is capable of doing a job for a (lower) middly-diddly side in this league, but nothing more. New signing George O'Callaghan, the lanky 28-year-old Irishman, will presumably act as a direct replacement for the departed Paul McLaren. He will be missed, as will his 13 assists, which put him top of the assists chart last season. He should settle in OK, though, as he has ex-team-mate Bas Savage at the club, who he knows from their days together at Brighton. On the wing, the diminutive yet tricky Chris Shuker will be perceived, along with O'Callaghan, as the main servicer for the front players. He is skillful and good technically in general, but his build, which he doesn't have the physical attributes to make up for, and the physical nature of League One, means he is liable to be bullied out of games. New signing Edrissa "Eddy" Sonko will play on the left, I think. According to Walsall fans he is very inconsistent; I think he has pace, but that's about it. Tranmere do have decent backup in midfield, though, with 24-year-old Adnan Ahmed present, though he is not rated by Tranmere fans, and 23-year-old Steven Jennings, who has been a professional at Tranmere since 2003.

Bas Savage continues to baffle bookmakers, pundits and fans alike after earning a contract with yet another League One club, following his release from Millwall. It is a good thing that Tranmere do have somebody else to get goals; that person is Chris Greenacre, who wasn't quite as prolific last season as he was in the previous two with the club, but is still a threat. His ability to find space in the box will be key, and he does score a fair few headers for somebody who isn't exactly gigantic. At 30, he should be enjoying his best years as a footballer. Bas Savage certainly isn't prolific, though, and never has been. The only thing he has going for him is his height, which is a distraction, and should allow Greenacre more space. However, despite being 6'3" his heading isn't good, and neither is his ability to hold the ball up, mainly due to a first touch more resemblant of a two-footed Sunday League slide-tackle. As cover, Tranmere have the son of their manager - Ian Moore - who can put in his shift as a player but won't score more than a handful of goals, and young 18-year-old prospect Craig Curran, who should feature at some point. It doesn't look like Tranmere have enough goals in their forward line, though.

Verdict:

Well, individually it's not that bad a side, but we all know that a team is not made up of 11 individuals, and I have my doubts about the ability of this line-up to play as a team. Ronnie Moore has apparently signified that he wants his team to play a more attractive brand of football this season, as opposed to his token hoofing style. Which ever way you look at things, though, the components of the circuit don't seem compatible with each other. If the side is to be more technical, they have O'Callaghan and Shuker, which will help, but little else. The fullbacks certainly don't have the technical ability to support the midfield and produce free-flowing, continental football. The team is being lined up with tall players, which suggests to me Ronnie Moore wants a physical presence again. However, despite the defence being solid, the midfield is very lightweight, despite Edds and O'Callaghan both being 6-footers. Between them, the two have a combined mass of 139kg - an average of 69.5kg, which isn't a great deal. Add this to Shuker being a wholesome 58.5kg and Sonko being 70, the midfield needs to beef up if it wants physical battles, as it has a combined weight of 267.5kg spread over four players. Ronnie Moore also seems to be going a bit stale, and the fans are repeatedly voicing their discontent at chairwoman Lorraine Rogers failing to look elsewhere in the managerial department. They won't go down, but considering all the factors, including the good possibility of reduced attendances, a bottom-third finish looks likely. The phrase 'square pegs in round holes' springs to mind. 17th

Walsall

Last Season: 12th

Ground: Bescot Stadium (11,300 capacity) - Last season's average was 5,620

Manager: Jimmy Mullen (replaces Richard Money)

Players In: Stephen Roberts (Doncaster Rovers, free); Jabo Ibehre (Leyton Orient, free); Dwayne Mattis (Barnsley, free); Sofiene Zaaboub (Swindon Town, free); Michael Ricketts (Oldham Athletic, free); Chris Palmer (Wycombe Wanderers, free); Marco Reich (Kickers Offenbach, free); Stephen Hughes (Coventry City, free)

Players Out: Darren Wrack (Kettering Town, free); Tommy Mooney (Unión Deportiva Marbella, free); Edrissa Sonko (Tranmere Rovers, free); Bertrand Bossu (Aberdeeen, free); Ian Roper; Michael Dobson; David McDermott; Alassane N'Dour; Stefan Moore (all released)

Clayton Ince
Rhys Weston; Stephen Roberts; Anthony Gerrard; Paul Boertien
Ishmel Demontagnac; Stephen Hughes; Marco Reich; Sofiene Zaaboub
Jabo Ibehre; Michael Ricketts

Clayton Ince is a good, reliable 'keeper and he has a solid pairing in front of him in Stephen Roberts and Anthony Gerrard. Both are good League One defenders who win headers and tackles, and read the game well enough. Rhys Weston is a steady right-back but we shouldn't expect anything out of the ordinary from him, while Boertien on the left is 29 now and has experience with Derby County higher up the football pyramid. He is another 'steady' performer. Walsall have a good age balance in defence, with Gerrard at 22 slotting in with his older, yet not that old, companions. There isn't a great deal of cover in defence, though, aside from new signing Chris Palmer, who apparently struggled to even get on Wycombe's bench last season, and 19-year-old Richard Taundry, who has made 20 odd appearances for the first team. I fear the defence may lose stability if a key component is injured

Walsall have made two seemingly impressive new signings to play in the centre of midfield, in newly-appointed captain Stephen Hughes and German Marco Reich. Both of them provide plenty of experience, with Hughes adding the endurance, leadership and box-to-box component. He'll be the driving force behind the Saddlers' midfield this season. Ex-Derby and Palace midfielder Marco Reich is capable of playing on the left wing or in the middle, and he has a reputation for starting well at clubs he moves to, before fading away. He will be a good signing in League One, and his footballing brain is among the best in the league, as is his ability to score scorchers from distance. However, he has recently had a serious long-term injury, and the fact that he had previously been released by a side relegated from the German Second Division before his move to Walsall, suggest that he may not be the player he once was. Sofiene Zaaboub was deemed as inconsistent by fans of his previous club Swindon, and I don't think he's the sort of player who will want to get stuck in during a mid-November gluepot on a blood-and-thunder Tuesday night. On the other side, Ishmel Demontagnac has an abundance of talent but is still very raw and, in my opinion, can't be relied on to produce it consistently. Walsall also have Dwayne Mattis, who looked out of his depth in the Championship with Barnsley, but impresed in a four-game loan spell at the Bescot last season. I've never rated him as anything more than a League Two player, personally, but different players do well at different clubs, so we'll see where this one goes. In addition to him is 20-year-old Mark Bradley, but not a great deal else. I feel more backup may be needed in the midfield.

Up front, Tommy Mooney will be missed, and the strikeforce will consist of two new signings, though one of them was here for a loan period last season. Jabo Ibehre, snapped up after his release from Leyton Orient, will add explosive pace, a physical presence, effort, comedy but not enough goals. As a backup striker in League One he's alright, but any side banking on him to chip in with a significant share of goals is going to be in trouble, particularly when his partner in crime will be Michael Ricketts. Ricketts has only ever had one really good season in the memory of football fans, which came in the Premier League with Bolton. He hasn't done a great deal since, though, fading into oblivion, sliding down the leagues and suffering weight problems. He scored 3 in 12 on loan at the club last season, but I really can't see him surpassing 10 goals this season, and if he does, it won't be much more than that. Both Jabo and Ricketts are purely athletic guys who don't have a great deal going for them talent-wise. We shouldn't forget, though, that Ricketts will be closer to his hometown Birmingham at Walsall, but even if he does do better than expected, he won't be supplemented a great deal by his fellow strikers. The only other striker on the books is Troy Deeney, who has scored 1 goal in 36 appearances. More needed in this department, methinks.

Verdict:

Walsall have a fairly decent line-up right up until the very front of it. They aren't going to score many goals, though Marco Reich should score a few from midfield to make up for that. They have a pretty solid defence, though, so they won't concede too many, but there are much better sides about. Their cover is hardly anything to shout home about either, and this will leave them in a relegation battle. Richard Money, "the miracle-worker", leaving was also a big blow, and the appointment of Jimmy Mullen, to me, smacked of the board taking the cheap option. He has some managerial pedigree, having done a couple of decent jobs, but there are better managers about, and in my opinion, his all-round management skills aren't as good as Money's, though he has made some good signings so far, I'll give him that. Unfortunately, the chairman isn't going to provide money it looks like, meaning Walsall will have to get by in the free and loan market. It's going to be a tough slog, but by virtue of their defence, I think they'll stay up. Just. 20th

Yeovil Town

Last Season: 18th

Ground: Huish Park (9,978 capacity) - Last season's average was 5,637

Manager: Russell Slade (est. 2006)

Players In: Danny Schofield (Huddersfield Town, free); Aidan Downes (Everton, free); Kieran Murtagh (Fisher Athletic, free); Darren Way (Swansea City, free); Gavin Tomlin (Fisher Athletic, free)

Players Out: Andy Kirk (Dunfermline Athletic, undisclosed); Steve Mildenhall (Southend United, free); Marvin Williams (Brentford, free); Marcus Stewart (Exeter City, free); Mark Lynch (Rotherham United, free); Anthony Barry (Chester City, free); Darryl Knights (Kidderminster Harriers, free); Jerahl Hughes (Dover Athletic, free); Ishmael Welsh (Grays Athletic, free); Stephen Maher; Darren Behcet; James Brown; Wilfried Domoraud (all released)

*Someone*
Craig Alcock; Terry Skiverton; Terrell Forbes; Nathan Jones
Darren Way; Marc Bircham; Lee Peltier; Danny Schofield
Lloyd Owusu; Paul Warne

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Another one just for emphasis - oh dear! Yeovil are the only club in League One who currently do not have a goalkeeper signed up, so goodness knows what is happening there. An emergency 'keeper should come in before the season starts, but if Yeovil are forced to stick one of their outfield players in goal, things will start to look very embarrassing. Only sixteen players are signed up, with a cluster of them being youth teamers. Terry Skiverton will marshal the defence and his leadership skills will be vital if Yeovil are to have a chance of avoiding relegation. Skiverton's decreasing mobility will be complemented by the pace of his partner Terrell Forbes, but there isn't really any quality in central defence. Craig Alcock at right-back is a player who apparently enjoys attacking, but is questionable defensively, and at 20, and having made just 5 starts for Yeovil before, he will definitely be perceived as one of the weaker right-backs in the league. The strongest link in defence in my opinion is left-back Nathan Jones, who has impressed me whenever I've seen him. He is 35 now, but still has a good engine, tackles well and is a good passer of the ball. Other defenders include 21-year-old Nathan Smith, who has played 7 times for Yeovil, Rob Fitzgerald, and midfielder Lee Peltier who is capable of playing in defence.

Yeovil have signed Darren Way and Danny Schofield to fill voids left in midfield. I'd imagine that Bircham and Peltier would form the spine of the midfield, with Bircham putting the tackles in and Peltier providing the energy, mobility and acting as the ball carrier. He will still be rather erratic at just 21, though, and is bound to fade in and out of games. Schofield on the left can be creative, but he seems to have gone downhill since starting off well at former club Huddersfield, although his versatility will be key. The returning Darren Way is also capable of passing the ball about, though his small frame means he will be a target for the bruisers. Making up the midfield numbers is the young unknown Kieran Murtagh, signed from Fisher Athletic this summer. The starting midfield actually looks decently balanced, but it lacks in true quality and there are far better about. It is also very lightweight, and the lack of cover is worrying.

The attack also looks to be devoid of goals, and two ageing, lower league journeymen up front, neither of whom are exactly prolific, aren't going to get you very far. Owusu adds a physical presence and his strength will be a lot for defenders to contend with, but his finishing isn't exactly clinical. Warne is a good technical player, but he sets up more goals than he scores and he isn't the fastest, meaning Yeovil have virtually no penetration up front, and the goals from midfield aren't there to mask that fact. An unknown 19-year-old from Everton (Aidan Downes) and a striker who has already failed in league football with Brentford (Gavin Tomlin) don't really strike fear into the hearts of other teams either. Admittedly, Tomlin did score 24 goals in 47 games for Fisher Athletic, but League One is quite a leap forward from the Blue Square South.

Verdict:

To put it bluntly, Yeovil's squad is just embarrassingly bad. Only 16 players are signed up for the season so far; not included in those 16 is a goalkeeper, and around a third of that 16 are unproven youngsters that the manager seems to be taking a punt on. It's clearly an unfinished squad, but even if Russell Slade does bring a couple in, or even more, it will take time for them to gel, as they will obviously be miles behind the pre-season schedule at Huish Park. The strongest point is their defence, but a lack of quality throughout the side, a midfield that will be easily-overpowered, and a strikeforce that won't score anywhere near enough goals, only points to one thing. Clue: it begins with the letter 'R' ends with the letter 'N' and has 'ELEGATIO' in the middle. A couple of years ago, they were expected to go down but reached the playoff final, but at least then they actually had a core of good players. Those days have long gone, and are now a distant memory. If Russell Slade manages to keep this lot in League One next season, it will be nothing short of miraculous. 24th

Leaving, as the final table.....

1. Leeds United
2. Brighton & Hove Albion
---------------------------------------------------
3. Colchester United
4. Northampton Town
5. Oldham Athletic
6. Huddersfield Town
7. Peterborough United
8. Swindon Town
9. Carlisle United
10. Leicester City
11. Bristol Rovers
12. Hartlepool United
13. Southend United
14. Millwall
15. Stockport County
16. Leyton Orient
17. Tranmere Rovers
18. Milton Keynes Dons
19. Scunthorpe United
20. Walsall
21. Crewe Alexandra
22. Hereford United
23. Cheltenham Town
24. Yeovil Town

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
He's more optimistic about us than most of our fans are.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
He's got way to much time on his hands. Good write up though, and I'd certainly take it :D.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Its hard to look beyond Leeds for the title and I agree with him that N`ton will go close.
Peterboro might just upset a few bigger names as well.
5th or 6th for us.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
this bloke needs to get a life

Harsh! He suffers from autism, which means he focuses on attention to detail. He only posts an average of 6 posts a day, but they are generally well thought out and.....thorough! Nice to see someone show some genuine interest of League One when much of the national press ignore it. I think he is also having trials with a non-league club.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
:thumbsup:

The first post in this thread MUST be the longest post EVER on NSC

It generates a 'script run' error in my Firefox

Marvellous

Same here, didn't know what it meant but glad it's happened to you too - guessit's not so bad then ?

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Harsh! He suffers from autism, which means he focuses on attention to detail. He only posts an average of 6 posts a day, but they are generally well thought out and.....thorough! Nice to see someone show some genuine interest of League One when much of the national press ignore it. I think he is also having trials with a non-league club.

He wasn't to know that!

Anyway, the bloke seems to know what hes talking about. He suggests Livermore should play the holding role and I hope we see that, although I think he underestimates Thomson. The only other thing he might of got wrong is Forsters pace as hes still really quick!!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
nice write up BoF. i dont think the end table will be a lot diffrent to that, can see Leics finishing higher tho

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Same here, didn't know what it meant but glad it's happened to you too - guessit's not so bad then ?

Happened to me too using IE7!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He wasn't to know that!

Anyway, the bloke seems to know what hes talking about. He suggests Livermore should play the holding role and I hope we see that, although I think he underestimates Thomson. The only other thing he might of got wrong is Forsters pace as hes still really quick!!

It wasn't meant to be a stern telling off or a telling off at all. Merely an explanation as to why someone would go to so much trouble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here