Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An interview with Paul Barber

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But if the club drop the voucher scheme what will Southern do? It would be their responsibility to make sure people boarding have tickets or to take the commercial risk that they are losing money. All southern stations are gated arent they so the risk is minimal anyway.
If Albion drop the voucher scheme and the idea that they pay an upfront sum to Southern, my bet is that is that Southern would simply refuse to stop at Falmer, citing "health and safety". This is because they are white flag waving shitters who do what they like and act with impunity.

Don't believe me? Ask the people who bought Fat Boy Slim tickets last year, many assuming the station slap bang next to the stadium would be open for business as usual.

But if the club drop the voucher scheme what will Southern do? It would be their responsibility to make sure people boarding have tickets or to take the commercial risk that they are losing money. All southern stations are gated arent they so the risk is minimal anyway.

There isn't a voucher scheme. You flash your season ticket, that's all. The point is if Southern had to check every ticket as fans arrived and left Falmer it would be a disaster. If the club and the stewards had to check for tickets before getting people onto the P&R buses it would be a disaster.

It's very definitely a minority that have no need for the travel element because they have a train season ticket/free bus pass/outdated benefit in kind and this minority will be reduced even further if you checked if their free travel was the only method of transport they ever use. I have a train pass, but will sometimes jump on a P&R bus after evening games to get a lift home with a mate. I know for certain I'm not the only one. This simple scheme is the only sensible option.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
The bottom line would be how much your ST will cost next season. It's that time of year where all our bills go up and yet looks like another year of pay rise freeze or just 1% pay rise. Most of us will renew and may moan about it, however there will be a few who will be priced out of a ST, the club will need to get the cost right or risk not filling the ground.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Probably unpopular, but I am 100% behind those who are effectively paying twice for travel in part or in full.

So what if it's a perk of the job. That's between them and their employer and nobody has the right to label it as "outdated". It's envy.

If they are such a minority can't see why the club can't organise a rebate. If anyone believes that can't be the case, then why aren't the club ignoring age (for administrative reasons) and selling tickets at flat rate ?

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We sort our own coach at 8 quid per game (on a coach ST). I accept its difficult to divide up who uses public transport etc and 30 is bearable but annoying, as we're paying for nothing we use. 60 pounds would really take the loss imo. I appreciate it's difficult for the club to prove who's using trains etc but it is a tad unfair on those who don't use public transport...

We are in the same boat as you Burwash Boys, running our MSS coaches, Sheebo. I guess it's the same for NWSS.

I would rather the club just said they were putting the prices up by x% to cover losses and not mention travel Subsidy at all.

The club froze ST prices this season but put up the price by £30 for Travel Subsidies. If the STs were just put up by £30, I honestly don't think anyone would have batted an eyelid. Over 12 months, interest free DD the price rise wasn't that noticeable.

Of course, I don't know what extra price rises are planned for this year, but as has already been pointed out, we will have 30,000+ seats, so revenue should increase.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Do the same as the rail and tube companies do at countless other grounds - open the gates and just accept that a large proportion won't be paying for it. Have you ever tried to get a tube after seeing the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea...even Millwall.

Exactly and it costs us nothing and the rail company will lose very little anyway because most people will pay because stations are gated.

It is not rocket science and exactly what should be done then those that cannot prove it pay accordingly.

Glad I do not have a free bus pass as a pensioner as BHAFC respond by saying f*** you pay our travel tax regardless.
But you can't use a bus pass to travel on a coach or a privately arranged park & ride service. There is no mechanism for the operator to claim reimbursement from the council.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But you can't use a bus pass to travel on a coach or a privately arranged park & ride service. There is no mechanism for the operator to claim reimbursement from the council.

I'm missing the point. If you can prove you have no intention of using them and the means not to do so, why can't the club offer a rebate.

- - - Updated - - -

We sort our own coach at 8 quid per game (on a coach ST). I accept its difficult to divide up who uses public transport etc and 30 is bearable but annoying, as we're paying for nothing we use. 60 pounds would really take the loss imo. I appreciate it's difficult for the club to prove who's using trains etc but it is a tad unfair on those who don't use public transport...

But don't the club subsidise the coaches ? You are paying somewhat nearer the true cost via your season ticket ?

I'm missing the point. If you can prove you have no intention of using them and the means not to do so, why can't the club offer a rebate.
Beach Hut seemed to be claiming that possession of a bus pass was some sort of "proof" that a season ticket holder wouldn't be using the Club's subsidised transport. It isn't. Nor is possession of a privilege railway ticket. For all I know, Beach Hut might find it more convenient to drive to Mill Road and use the park & ride service.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Beach Hut seemed to be claiming that possession of a bus pass was some sort of "proof" that a season ticket holder wouldn't be using the Club's subsidised transport. It isn't. Nor is possession of a privilege railway ticket. For all I know, Beach Hut might find it more convenient to drive to Mill Road and use the park & ride service.

But he doesn't and can easily prove he doesn't. No different from a child or OAP proving they are entitled to a cheaper ticket.Applying the same rules to everyone does not always equate to fairness.

Why the use of the word "privilege" ? Is it in anyway relevant here ?

When he raises the issue the conversation usually turns to what he is entitled to as part of his employment. The only issue here is that it is paid, by whom is irrelevant.

Last edited:

But he doesn't and can easily prove he doesn't. No different from a child or OAP proving they are entitled to a cheaper ticket.

Why the use of the word "privilege" ? Is it in anyway relevant here ?

.... Or is it influencing the opposing argument ?
I've got a bus pass. And there's a bus service from the end of my road to the stadium. I don't use it, though. The train is more convenient.

The word 'privilege' is merely a reference to Beach Hut's train ticket - it's called a privilege ticket.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've got a bus pass. And there's a bus service from the end of my road to the stadium. I don't use it, though. The train is more convenient.

The word 'privilege' is merely a reference to Beach Hut's train ticket - it's called a privilege ticket.

But irrelevant. Let's not argue that people opposing his view about the use of his ticket make deliberate reference to it's nature.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Think it would be fairer if free travel was limited to the B&H UA boundaries. Outwith this it wouldn't be too much of a disruption for the travel companies to check tickets. P&R punters could by from the driver like the 27 at Withdean. And STHs pay a cockle extra to get a home game on Boxing Day.

The figures revealed in this thread suggest that the Club is paying out roughly £100,000 per game to the transport companies. Some people are suggesting that a contribution towards these costs should be made only by people who actually use that transport. I would guess that about 15,000 fans fall into that category - and that the costs shake out at about £7 a head.

Now answer this ... If you are in a group of four people who use the park and ride service, would you be prepared to pay £28 to park your car at the Race Course and get a bus ride to and from the game? Or would you find an alternative that clutters up a residential street somewhere?

Think it would be fairer if free travel was limited to the B&H UA boundaries. Outwith this it wouldn't be too much of a disruption for the travel companies to check tickets. P&R punters could by from the driver like the 27 at Withdean. And STHs pay a cockle extra to get a home game on Boxing Day.
No free travel from Lewes?

If Albion drop the voucher scheme and the idea that they pay an upfront sum to Southern, my bet is that is that Southern would simply refuse to stop at Falmer, citing "health and safety". This is because they are white flag waving shitters who do what they like and act with impunity.

Then the Transport Management Plan that is a condition of the Stadium planning consent would fall over; what Southern, Brighton & Hove Buses, Stagecoach etc might think/do if such a breach occurred is, imo, a minor consideration. The change to a compulsory voucher arrangement this season was also a significant factor in the successful application to expand the stadium capacity.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
You cant have an "opt out" option for the transport as then it will mean tickets will need to be checked for all transport - same with just removing the transport element. Someone said that Arsenal, Chelsea and Millwall just have barriers open - theres a reason for that - nearly all London stations have ticket barriers so they still need a ticket at the beginning/end of the journey.

The queuing system at Brighton still remain too, though after the development of the station is completed there would be more barriers so you could put all fans through the gates. Though a lot of stations in the area dont have barriers and trains will be too busy for conductors to check tickets - so people will travel free.

Saw above that it would be an extra 60p a week for the travel element - is it really that much ?

Also saw someone ask why isnt the travel period all day - reason for that - the companies will want more money and seeing as theres already people moaning about paying an extra 60p.......

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The club has got it totally right charging a transport levy, as no transport plan = no stadium, and the stadium benefits ALL ticket holders.

I hate to say it, but really we should cover more of it, and not rely on the club and hence Tony to fund it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So apart from Bozza and myself, who else is in this groovy gang you've childishly made up? NSC needs to know who is reasonably allowed to take issue with your whiny ramblings on this tedious issue without being accused of being in this groovy gang of yours?

Can we have a GroovyGangnam Style dancing smiley to represent this groovy gang?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
To clarify a few points:

Doing a ticket check at Falmer is dangerous but very simple at Brighton as the area is gated off so it can easily be done.

Where have I said if you have a free bus pass you travel free in any mode to the ground - only on a bus if you can prove it like the number 5 and not the free park and ride bus - tell me where I said that ?

The club also shafts totally all those coach travellers who did what the club wanted and grouped together to bis in from various parts of Sussex.

It is a lame excuse this of cannot be bothered by the club where really they should negotiate far better with Rail and bus companies

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here