Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An interview with Paul Barber

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
How do you check that someone has a ticket when the buses & trains are rammed? You are then back to last season's scenario where some fans robbed the club by not buying travel vouchers?

If I want to buy car parking space for the season and pay for it, then there is no need for me to pay for it again on my ST. If I say I want to use the PR buses, then they charge me for that and again reduce the ST travel. It's not hard if you buy the form of travel from the club when you buy your ST.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Park and rides should be considered part of the overall costs of running the club, and those costs should be spread out across the board to all fans/ticket buyers. Bus and train transport should be paid by the individuals who use it, drop it from the ticket cost. But, the bus and train companies have to go back to the old fashioned way of selling, and checking tickets, they could introduce a travel pass amongst themselves for BHA fans, covering travel to and from the Amex on a match day. Should be Their problem, not ours.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Let the train boys have their fun.

They're both missing the point, and they know it.

No we are not why should we subsidise others

Why should cyclists, walkers and free OAP bus pass holders subsidise others ?

Just to make the likes of your travel cheaper as stated there is zero transparency in this decision

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
No we are not why should we subsidise others

Why should cyclists, walkers and free OAP bus pass holders subsidise others ?

Just to make the likes of your travel cheaper as stated there is zero transparency in this decision

Surely it would be cheaper for the club that they only subsidise those who actually need a ticket than make those who don't pay for one ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have I missed something somewhere but there appears no mention of the difference the extra seats will make to turnover. Take an average season ticket price of £400 then the extra 8k of seats will produce £3.2m in tickets alone, more if they are sold on match by match basis. Add in the additional concession sales then we could quite easily make up that £3m that PB was talking about. I would also like to know what contingency plans they may have should promotion be achieved bearing in mind the income will greatly increase (as of course would playing costs). It has been said that premiership ticket prices could be halved without affecting existing player budgets with the new tv deals coming. Alas I think most will go on securing the services of the best players on the best wages!

The figures are unbelievable.

The Swiss Ramble: In The Premier League, The Sun Always Shines On TV

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Let the train boys have their fun.

They're both missing the point, and they know it.

If you start exemption schemes and refunds etcetera etcetera the overall cost is going to shoot up to pay for the extra admin. We are all in it together.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If you start exemption schemes and refunds etcetera etcetera the overall cost is going to shoot up to pay for the extra admin. We are all in it together.

That's the short version of one of the points I was going to make.

Don't tell Beachy that. He's special and not part of any groovy gang. He's got union-backed free rail travel, you know.

I can't be arsed to repeat the arguments behind this, he knows what they are but he refuses to acknowledge them.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Thanks.

Very interesting article with far more financial facts than previously available.

I like Barbers's directness and openness. All deliberate of course, but you cannot argue with the facts.

Does anyone here know how much the transport cost element passed on to us is within the current s/t cost?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

why ?

We have choices of where we sit so why not choices of how to travel and whether you have a legitimate exemption ?

Also what about those that buy bus seasons from travel clubs to come by coach why should they subsidise this ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Don't tell Beachy that. He's special and not part of any groovy gang.

He's got union-backed free rail travel, you know.

Just a very poor insult that ignores a multitude of fans paying for something they legitimately do not need to subsidise those that do require it

Whilst on the point can you actually factually back up what you have stated when what I have is a benefit kind first given to me by a company that was public at the time thus in effect Government owned ?

Subsequently protected by an act of parliament when the conservatives where in power so hardly union-backed is it

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Thanks.

Very interesting article with far more financial facts than previously available.

I like Barbers's directness and openness. All deliberate of course, but you cannot argue with the facts.

Does anyone here know how much the transport cost element passed on to us is within the current s/t cost?

£30

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Don't tell Beachy that. He's special and not part of any groovy gang. He's got union-backed free rail travel, you know.

I can't be arsed to repeat the arguments behind this, he knows what they are but he refuses to acknowledge them.

I vaguely remember the 30 page binfest from last season :lol:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
They have us all over a barrel. Tranport charge will double and I suspect the football element of the ST will go up by around 7.5%. All this on top of a big whack from Amex shirt sponorship. All could have been achieved without Barber's no doubt ginormous salary.
Prepare to be bled dry.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I was just trying to contextualise how far behind the Premier League the Championship is.

Our revenue was £22 million in total, we are competing against Blackburn, Bolton, Wolves, Birmingham and Blackpool, all of whom collect £18 million as parachute payments this season. Burnley and Hull each receive £9 million.

Not sure how quoting the income/match day revenue ratios for Albion, Man Utd and Man City did that, but as you were...

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011

Thanks.

So £30 x 22,000 is this years contribution = £660,000.

Barber revealed that doesn't cover one third of transport cost, so its fair to estimate that within our overheads, £2.5m is the cost to the club per annum.

That explains much of the 2011/12, and projected 2012/13 loss. Shame. Most other clubs would have NIL fans transport costs.

That's a big dent into the £22m income.

You can see an added reason why TB is keen on PL as soon as possible. The transport cost would max at say £3m with 30,000 crowds, but our income would go up by say £40m each season.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
They have us all over a barrel. Tranport charge will double and I suspect the football element of the ST will go up by around 7.5%. All this on top of a big whack from Amex shirt sponorship. All could have been achieved without Barber's no doubt ginormous salary.
Prepare to be bled dry.

Whats the alternative to say 5% s/t prices:

Sack Barber and save a small increment, to bring back someone of the 'acumen' of Brown.
Sell Bridcutt and Buckley, and end deals for Bridge, and a few others, to help us achieve
the MANDATORY ffp rules.

You would maintain your slightly cheaper s/t price, but we would lose our only decent players, and guarantee us not challenging in the top half of the Championship.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree entirely and the answer from the club is a convenient f*** you pay up - real transparancy

Nice attitude, I think they forget at times when they held the begging bowls out
Too funny. As if either of you would post more than ONCE a decade on the issue if it wasn't for the fact that you both have a ridiculously cosy free rail travel deal sorted out. Call it schadenfreude, but I get a lovely warm feeling when anyone who has taken a wage from the railway industry over the past few decades feels wronged about being forced to pay four f***ing quid every fortnight. Aw diddums.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here