Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An interesting blog on homophobic abuse from PC Balkham

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Interesting to read PC Balkham's take on what might constitute homophobic abuse and am happy to give credit for getting it added to offences in the ground regulations etc. However I'm not sure his view is consistent with the actions of his colleagues on the ground in Sussex and elsewhere. I can recall a scenario last season when neanderthals among the visitors (think it was our dear old Pompey friends) were chanting some particularly unpleasant homophobic stuff and exposing their bottoms towards Albion fans (including families and children) waiting on a packed platform at Falmer Station. Some Albion fans replied by blowing kisses and jeering but nothing as extreme as they were receiving. There were several Police Officers watching this and their only reaction was to smile when the Albion fans blew kisses back. At the time I thought the Albion fans showed great restraint at this provocation, especially if something had kicked off with the adjacent live rail lines and arriving/departing trains. The Pompey fans were riled by the kisses and were clearly looking to ratchet things up a notch or two but fortunately they were eventually moved on. Several Albion fans complained to the Police but were just told to 'move on' themselves (not easy on a packed platform). I felt very sorry for the families who witnessed this, especially the children who never got to see any consequences for the Pompey fans behaviour so I fear they could have perceived it as being 'condoned'.

The Pompey fans had clearly crossed PC Balkham's line in terms of 'abuse', whereas the Albion fans replied with 'banter'. I may be a bit biased but was disappointed by the very passive Police response. OK this rather pales into insignificance compared to the stuff experienced around footie grounds in the bad old '70s and '80s and suppose we should all 'man up' a bit (sorry - an unfortunate phrase in this context) and ignore it but as Albion fans it does get depressing to hear it aimed at us match after match throughout each season, even with a thick skin. We are supposedly more enlightened these days, so shouldn't tolerate this stuff.

If this scenario can occur so easily at The Amex (it wasn't an isolated incident last season) even with the awareness of Sussex Police then what chance is there of clamping down at away games? I recall some unpleasant stuff being continually spouted by Forest fans on the tier above us at the City Ground and numerous complaints by Albion fans about specific individuals who could be clearly seen and heard but the stewards and Police told Albion fans to sit down and shut up which hardly diffused the situation. Nothing appeared to be done about the abusers.

I appreciate it will take time to 'educate' and change the behaviour of all neanderthals so inevitably the homophobic abuse issue will be more of a journey than a destination, but it would help to see more decisive positive action by Police towards abusers at matches so everyone can see we are not just talking the talk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here