Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An F A Cup nightmare.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The Kingstonian day was also the day Worthing went to Bournemouth and took an early lead before succumbing 3-1.

What I remember most about the Kingstonian game...apart from all the bad bits (poorest display imaginable, racist abuse of our players by several of our fans and Surrey Police using a truncheon on a disabled Albion fan after the final whistle)...was that my ticket for the game was lost in the post (along with one for a League cup game at Swindon in the same week).

I phoned the club and they sent me a replacement for the Kingstonian game, wish they hadn't, but it was too late for Swindon and as we had sold out our allocation I had to sit in with the Swindon fans...I can honestly say that I have never met such a strange bunch of knuckle dragging inbreds...it had to be seen to be believed...maybe I had just chosen the wrong stand, opposite the main stand, because on later visits to the County ground I have found them to be a largely decent bunch.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
I went to the first Walton game ( on the Saturday ) and the home side had the ball in the net after 10 seconds. Fortunately, it was disallowed and the game petered out to a 0-0.
I had to work, so missed the afternoon replay. On the walk home I purchased an Argus and was dismayed to see the headline..." Walton take shock lead "...still, not to worry...it was only the first half...plenty of time to turn it around. I read Lord Vinnicombe's report through ( which finished on about 70 minutes ) turned to the stop press and was astonished to read that Walton had scored 3 more in the last 10 minutes !
3 days later I was at the Goldstone for the Bristol Rovers game. Although we went 2 down quite quickly, Sully pulled one back. I turned to my mates and declared " Mark my words, we are going to win 3-2 " and you can imagine the stick I was getting at half-time when we were 5-1 down !
Leatherhead was also painful, as was Oxford, as was Mansfield. But for sheer disappointment and frustration, the quarter final v Southampton ( 1986 ) got to me. We just never turned up in front of 25,000 and blew a potential semi-final with Liverpool ( our bunnies, around that time ! )

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yeah, the Southampton one was really strange...considering the size of the crowd, at around 25k, there was absolutely no atmosphere whatsoever...it was like being at a morgue on a bank holiday!

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I think Gwylan and myself went. I certainly remember leaving school early and walking across to the Goldstone and , correct me if I am wrong Gwylan , but I believe there may have been a few of us who did likewise. Oh the memories. If only i could remember them!

TNBA

TTF
p.s. Newcastle away in the cup, by all accounts

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Their days may have been numbered but their numbers have not come up yet!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
28th November 1973.

BTW, my teacher thought I had suffered enough and didn't make a big deal of me bunking off.

You were lucky! My school mate got 6 of the best! That's what I call a double whammy!!!

we beat canvey 4-0

Really? I could have sworn it was 5-1. Actually I'm over 50 now, so the memory must really be going as I was informed by a presenter on the Sussex Radio phone-in that we only lost 1-7 to Bristol Rovers, a "fact" which nobody challenged.

II found this interview from the Sunday match with a seething Liam Brady in which he declared "and if my granny had balls she'd be my granddad". Note the lovely make-up on the Albion fan!

[yt]GyiAjUR6Obg[/yt]

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Really? I could have sworn it was 5-1. Actually I'm over 50 now, so the memory must really be going as I was informed by a presenter on the Sussex Radio phone-in that we only lost 1-7 to Bristol Rovers, a "fact" which nobody challenged.
I found this interview from the Sunday match with a seething Liam Brady in which he declared "and if my granny had balls she'd be my granddad". Note the lovely make-up on the (male) Canvey Is. fan!

[yt]GyiAjUR6Obg[/yt]

Is the fan being interviewed Harty?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I travelled from plymouth to get to the walton game.. arrived just in time because of rail delays to see the goals in the last 10 mins. :(

The most hurtful aspect of the 2-8 match which I had the misfortune to witness was seeing the match on tv and Cloughs brat asking to see the Bristol goals again..

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
In reply to the dear departed question, I think only Ron Pavey, an off field legend, has passed on since Geoff Sidebottom.

I also think that the Canvey replay was 4-1

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here