Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An empty feeling...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
League Cup 2nd round tonight without us, don't know how anyone else feels but with no real hope of promotion this season it would be nice to generate a bit of excitment and revenue with a nice cup run, feeling very dissapointed all the excitement of tonight will be going on without us.

:tosser:

Frank Inkerman

Veteran of the Crimea
Not bothered really - the Johnstones Paint Trophy is our big chance of success this year and we should be concentrating on the League ,of course.
Don't want players being distracted and thinking they're big time cos we get drawn against PL opposition

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
cant say am bothered , hoping Southend take watford to pens though , have few players injured and have an energy sapping, morale kicking loss on pens

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've been watching the Albion since about 1985 and in that whole period, we've probably won about six League Cup games. We have always been shit in that particular competition, I've long since given up hope of ever being any good at it.

Not that we've traditionally pulled up trees in the FA Cup either, with one or two notable exceptions, but the League Cup is an Albion graveyard.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Didn't even know it was going on.

Just a reminder then of how things were once with probably our best ever league cup run.....76/77

Southend Away 1-1, coach trip with the Bo'sun in it's early days. evening game lots of drinks & 'action' .

2nd leg 2-1 win.

Round 2
Brilliant 'backs to the wall' job at Portman Road against the great Ipswich team. 0-0
Replay Over 26,000 at the Goldstone as10 man 3rd div Albion beat 1st div Ipswich with a last min Graham Cross goal infront of the North Stand. We were down to 10 due to injury. The belief was growing that this team was something special.

Round 3
2-0 away win at 1st div. WBA. wardy ran rings around them, could easy have been 4.

Round 4 33.500 at home to see a 1-1 draw with Derby and we took a 1st min lead against a team who were Champions just a year or so before. The run finished with a 2-1 defeat in the replay but the Albion were true heroes.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
The only bad thing about the cup this week ment that we didn't have a game yesterday.
Hopefully we can get to wembley in the paint throphy thing as normaly random teams that don't go up normally get to the final.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .

Just a reminder then of how things were once with probably our best ever league cup run.....76/77

Southend Away 1-1, coach trip with the Bo'sun in it's early days. evening game lots of drinks & 'action' .

2nd leg 2-1 win.

Round 2
Brilliant 'backs to the wall' job at Portman Road against the great Ipswich team. 0-0
Replay Over 26,000 at the Goldstone as10 man 3rd div Albion beat 1st div Ipswich with a last min Graham Cross goal infront of the North Stand. We were down to 10 due to injury. The belief was growing that this team was something special.

Round 3
2-0 away win at 1st div. WBA. wardy ran rings around them, could easy have been 4.

Round 4 33.500 at home to see a 1-1 draw with Derby and we took a 1st min lead against a team who were Champions just a year or so before. The run finished with a 2-1 defeat in the replay but the Albion were true heroes.

Was indeed a great cup run . I went to some of those matches .
But I'm sure we beat Derby 2-1 , then knocked out West Brom ,
before eventually losing to Bolton .

30 years ago ??
Bring back the 70's !!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Was indeed a great cup run . I went to some of those matches .
But I'm sure we beat Derby 2-1 , then knocked out West Brom ,
before eventually losing to Bolton .

30 years ago ??
Bring back the 70's !!!

No. FG was right; that's exactly what happened. He forgot to mention Willie Johnston getting sent off against us at West Brom - he was so frustrated about what was happening.

That match at Derby was one of the best atmospheres I can remember at an away game. We took an awful lot of supporters to it (the Seagulls Special up was good too, I won about £6 in a card game, that paid for my train ticket and the match).

We also had a good run a couple of years later, going to out to Notts Forest (the then champions I believe) in the quarter finals.

I can't remember us losing to Bolton in the LC, I do remember us losing to them in the FA Cup in 1991/92 when Paul McCarthy gave away a stupid penalty towards the end.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
League Cup 2nd round tonight without us, don't know how anyone else feels but with no real hope of promotion this season it would be nice to generate a bit of excitment and revenue with a nice cup run, feeling very dissapointed all the excitement of tonight will be going on without us.

:tosser:

What the f*ck is "League Cup 2nd round"?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

2nd leg 2-1 win.

Round 2

Round 3

One of my best away games ever that West Brom one......were you one of the first ones in the ground...we got the special train and when we got in the famous west Midland Police noddy's came up and said ..." No jumping, no swearing, no pushing or you lot are out"

massive ruck outside on the way back to the train i seem to recall....not very pleasant!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here