Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An Appraisal Of Gus - Post Hartlepool

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Going by the great mans' exacting high standards if we win we will have played 28 and on 56 points which is two points per game.

Gus said that is what we need to do to be promoted so is the current team meeting or exceeding expectation ?

And is this harsh but fair analysis ?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Micky was an advocate of "2 points should get you promoted" and it does seem to be a good figure to aim for.

I can honestly see us finishing ahead of that average as the team seems to be getting better and better.

Just can't see us stuttering from here on in.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Certainly exceeding expectation. Said it before will say it again NO ONE thought we would be top and certainly not by a clear margin AND with games in hand.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Before the season started I thought we had strong play-off aspirations and expected the likes of SCC/Hudds/Weds/Charlton to battle it out at the top. My expectations have been completely confounded by the job that Gus has done. It is quite simply the most fun I've had watching the Albion in the ten or so years I've been supporting them.

It does all seem to be a bit too good to be true at the moment and I do fear that a slip-up maybe around the corner somewhere soon, but the way that the team has responded to the recent pressure from the chasing pack has been immense.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Certainly exceeding expectation. Said it before will say it again NO ONE thought we would be top and certainly not by a clear margin AND with games in hand.

Indeed - If anyone claims now that they thought at the beginning of the season we'd be where we are, I wouldn't believe them. I think most people, including me, had us vying for a play-off place - but then I said the same of Swindon, so what do I know ?

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
It's always been the same... win your home games, draw your away games and you'll be going up. Obviously it's not as simple as that & you have making up to do when you lose the occasional game but it's a pretty simple rule which always seems to apply.

Very confident we will be top 2 considering all the slip ups below us, even when we show a sign of weakness. Too soon to say if we'll hold the top spot until the end of the season though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Before the season started I thought we had strong play-off aspirations and expected the likes of SCC/Hudds/Weds/Charlton to battle it out at the top. My expectations have been completely confounded by the job that Gus has done. It is quite simply the most fun I've had watching the Albion in the ten or so years I've been supporting them.

It does all seem to be a bit too good to be true at the moment and I do fear that a slip-up maybe around the corner somewhere soon, but the way that the team has responded to the recent pressure from the chasing pack has been immense.

Agree with every word of this.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's getting to the point where I'd be surprised if we didn't go up. The style of football we play wouldn't be out of place in the division above, the squad has been added to intelligently, and the way the team reacts to pressure has been spot on. I'd genuinely fancy the likes of Huddersfield to have another wobble before the Albion do. My only real concern is that complacency sets in, and one of the automatic spots isn't all but sewn up by the time those last 3 home games come about.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
need to concentrate on one game at a time and maintain the consistency.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The players are just about good enough for a play off position. The manager is the difference between that and automatic promotion.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I can honestly see us finishing ahead of that average as the team seems to be getting better and better.

Sorry but can't agree with this. Recent performances against Rovers, Orient, Bournemouth AND Peterborough have all been below par, though Watford was great. I do expect us to get better again though.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
It's getting to the point where I'd be surprised if we didn't go up. The style of football we play wouldn't be out of place in the division above, the squad has been added to intelligently, and the way the team reacts to pressure has been spot on. I'd genuinely fancy the likes of Huddersfield to have another wobble before the Albion do. My only real concern is that complacency sets in, and one of the automatic spots isn't all but sewn up by the time those last 3 home games come about.

Agree with that. When you look at the number of games remaining and how inconsistant all the other teams have been, then it really would take something spectacular for two teams to overtake us.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
we have had trouble with hartlepool in recent years........closest thing to a bogey team we've got imho.

Last four home games v Hartlepool:

3:3
2:1
3:3
2:1

Not too bad really considering our record at Withdean other those years. Away we have lost three in a row to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here