Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amsterdam

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Need some NSC help. 4 of us have each been given a destination to research for my brothers stag doo.
Mine is Amsterdam!!!!
Now I'm well aware of the Drug cafe's and red light district but can anyone shed any light what else it has to offer?
We are going end of may next year so guess the weather will be similar to here (a gamble on being sunny?!) and it within price range of £250 for hotel and flight. But if anyone out there can give me the pro's and cons of Amsterdam so I can go can go back to the table and save myself a lot of research time in the process!!! Many thanks!!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Need some NSC help. 4 of us have each been given a destination to research for my brothers stag doo.
Mine is Amsterdam!!!!
Now I'm well aware of the Drug cafe's and red light district but can anyone shed any light what else it has to offer?
We are going end of may next year so guess the weather will be similar to here (a gamble on being sunny?!) and it within price range of £250 for hotel and flight. But if anyone out there can give me the pro's and cons of Amsterdam so I can go can go back to the table and save myself a lot of research time in the process!!! Many thanks!!!

If Cannabis Cafes are your thing, maybe don't bother. I think they are banning tourists from 1st Jan 2012.

Amsterdam is quite nice in parts, with a few 'cultural' bits to do during the day, and will have all the 'standard' activities for a stag do, but depending on what you want to do there might be better.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I was told last week that there are no longer any girls in the windows in the red light district. That used to be quite fun to see, even if you didn't want to partake. Don't know if that's true or not.

Apart from that, it's a lovely city. I worked about an hours drive from there for a while and was always good for a visit.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
At the end of the day, the biggest problem with Amsterdam is getting approval from the future bride I reckon.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
At the end of the day, the biggest problem with Amsterdam is getting approval from the future bride I reckon.
Trust me the bride doesn't get a choice.... In fact the groom doesn't even get a choice!!! It's secret location decided by a stag doo committee of 4.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
I've been a fair few times with mates an it is a good place to go, however it's fairly pricey for the beer and I'm led to believe the coffee shops are stopping selling to tourists soon so if that's part of the attraction bear it in mind!

In parts it's very beautiful city, especially the inner canal belt around the Jordaan. Loads to do culturally, often decent sports events on and concerts / festivals in the various parks.

Can be pricey for hotels, but compensated for by the cheap flights to get there. Also, on a couple of occasions we stayed in cheap hostels which seemed choca with young female travellers who were up for a good time!

The Dutch girls are good fun too, they all seem tall, pretty and fit (from riding their bikes everywhere?!) oh and the banana bar is goo for stag action of a bit pricey maybe...

All in all a place where it'd be hard not to have a good time!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I thought I read somewhere that there are elections and if they opposition get in as is likely then cannabis cafes wont be banned.

Also something about that the cafes if banned will still be there but you can only go in them if you are registered to that cafe or something.

Rubbish if it happens. Amsterdam without cafes would be like Brighton without pubs

As a stag do venue I would suggest eastern europe would be much better and cheaper

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I was told last week that there are no longer any girls in the windows in the red light district.

not true

If Cannabis Cafes are your thing, maybe don't bother. I think they are banning tourists from 1st Jan 2012.

Amsterdam is quite nice in parts, with a few 'cultural' bits to do during the day, and will have all the 'standard' activities for a stag do, but depending on what you want to do there might be better.

When i was there the other week, they are very confident that the amsterdam local government won't enforce these laws, they are notorious for not following the national government's policies. For example magic mushrooms were banned recently but they are still 'allowed' to sell them branded as 'truffles'. Cannabis IS actually already illegal, it is just tolerated.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I had my stag do there with a group of 20-25 or so mainly Albion fans.

Our weekend coincided with the pre-season tournament at the Amsterdam Arena so one day we took in the two games featuring Ajax, Milan, Liverpool and Valencia. I can't remember too many other details other than sitting beside a canal, chilling and drinking.[MENTION=449]Biffer[/MENTION], [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION], [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION], [MENTION=314]Arthur[/MENTION], [MENTION=23934]Albion in the Community[/MENTION] and others might be able to fill in further detail.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Tell a lie...

I remember [MENTION=314]Arthur[/MENTION] having to leg it from some Celtic fans that wanted to kill him in a bar.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Our weekend coincided with the pre-season tournament at the Amsterdam Arena so one day we took in the two games featuring Ajax, Milan, Liverpool and Valencia. I can't remember too many other details other than sitting beside a canal, chilling and drinking.[MENTION=449]Biffer[/MENTION], [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION], [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION], [MENTION=314]Arthur[/MENTION], [MENTION=23934]Albion in the Community[/MENTION] and others might be able to fill in further detail.

I forgot we saw Valancia play. I wonder if Bruno or Vicente played that day?

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010

Our weekend coincided with the pre-season tournament at the Amsterdam Arena so one day we took in the two games featuring Ajax, Milan, Liverpool and Valencia. I can't remember too many other details other than sitting beside a canal, chilling and drinking.[MENTION=449]Biffer[/MENTION], [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION], [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION], [MENTION=314]Arthur[/MENTION], [MENTION=23934]Albion in the Community[/MENTION] and others might be able to fill in
further detail.

You went to Amsterdam and just chilled and drank beside a canal ??? Selective memory in case the other half logs on by any chance?!?!?!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You went to Amsterdam and just chilled and drank beside a canal ??? Selective memory in case the other half logs on by any chance?!?!?!

My memories include...

- Hash cafe. The experienced smoker - 'the doctor' saying he was taking it easy. Had something too intense. He passed out on the table and then locked himself in a toilet for what seemed like hours. Later he collapsed into his calzone. He was written off for the weekend.

- Gay bar on the first night with some of the group. Someone (me?) sleeping in the hotel lobby.

- Sex show. Various acts. One of them struggling to perform - we tried to encourage. [MENTION=449]Biffer[/MENTION] getting called up on stage (I escaped) and getting a nose bleed as the performer whacked him with her chest. He was made to stay on stage, bleeding everywhere, to see out the grand finale of the act as he helped produce a chain of multi-coloured hankies from the performer's nether regions.

- The football - lot of beer in the seats in the sun. Lots of right side / left side Brighton boys singing.

- Railway station being closed by the Stadium. Climbing over fences, running across railway lines to try and get back to town.

- Being found in a shop doorway at some unearthly hour by some Dutch people who told me they remembered me being "a right side Brighton boy"

I didn't "indulge" and I'd have no hesitation in saying I had, if I had, as that particular marriage is no more. I do recall some of the group having a go - it would be unfair to mention them here though!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh, and hash lollies - those boiled sweets on a stick thing. We bought a massive sweet-shop sized tub. There was a lot left at the end of the weekend so one of the group brought them back.

They were used to appease trick-or-treaters knocking on his door that Halloween.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here