Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amsterdam - Advise please

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I wouldn't bother with Anne Frank's house, we went the other week when we were out there and she wasn't in.

Big disapointment.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Get your 'stuff' in the Grasshopper, and lie back leisurely in all the other, somewhat less hectic, coffee shops....

Then get your chips at the best chippy I have ever been to - a kiosk on the main road down towards Dam Square near the station... Just about every sauce you can think of.. aahh marvellous scenes...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Arthur said:
I wouldn't bother with Anne Frank's house, we went the other week when we were out there and she wasn't in.

Big disapointment.

She probably popped out to the dairy...

Bugger. Damn my typing skills... :dunce:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Trufflehound said:
She probably popped out to the dairy...

If it was dairy products she was after she could have had some of my helmetdale.

It might have been a touch ripe given the entertainment on offer but I'm sure it would have been ok to eat.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
I don't know why it took the SS so long to find her - there are signs for her house everywhere...

Boom, and indeed, boom.

The house is well worth a visit, though - and the book a re-reading. I know it's easy to take the Anne Frank story and reputation for granted now, but it is astonishing how beautifully she wrote - and, despite the circumstances, so optimistically about life.

The canal trips are lovely too.

Just make sure your boss knows you're going, to avoid the fate of these silly boys...
Supply and demand, innit...

Tropen Museum-

It's a museum of every society in the world- you get to drive a jeepney through Manila, walk through a shanty town in Africa, visit a slum in Rio etc. Sounds weird but really interesting in a global conscience kind of way. Most info is also in English.

Nice Cafe too.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
depends wot u want.

try expedia/lastminute.

we stayed in the Manofa wasnt amazing but was cheap, good location and pleasant enough

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
some art gallerys or something

Purrel_Frankel

Jan 21, 2006
Vorden
If you go to the Amsterdam Arena make sure you also visit the "olympisch stadion" It hosted the olympics of 1928. In the early 90s Ajax used to play in two stadions, one for the normal league games, called The Meer. The CL matches and matches agains Feyenoord and Psv were played in the Olympisch stadion.

Another great stadion near Amsterdam is the Mitsubishi Forklift-Stadion.
As you can see, great atmosphere....
omniworld3.JPG

When do you go? I might be able to arrange a couple of tickets for the next match of my favorite team..

Try the Hotel Brian- honest. On Singel Gracht (canal) near station and Dam Square. Ace breakfast ( with Jimi Hendrix through PA). Steep stairs and a bit of a"smokers" hang out- be warned if you weren't after that kind of thing- cheap too.

The YH on Vondel Park does new, clean double rooms in a quieter part of town- lovely for romantic strolls, about 10 minutes stroll from the more mental spots. Bargain and nice breakfast too. Internet cafe attached etc. Get the right hostel, the other one is a bit of a dump.
http://www.stayokay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Herbergen.showHomeHB&id=3&lng=2

Dandyman

In London village.
Remember too much hash cake can have lasting effects...

301120039_70a3f056e6_b.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here