Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amextraordinary! -- mainly for expats

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Locals who get the chance to see our new stadium every day cannot realise just how lucky they are. Those of us living further away, and having to content ourselves with a webcam that shrinks and distorts everything, and Jack Straw's albeit totally excellent photography, will never be able to fully appreciate the reality of the Amex. Not until they see it for themselves -- as I was able to a couple of weeks ago.

The best approach route by far is the one from Woodingdean. As you begin to descend the final hill towards the village, that first glimpse is extraordinary, demanding a double-take. It's as if some giant, silver and blue spaceship has just landed. And as you get closer, the sheer scale of the thing really hits you. If you only ever saw the original muddy farmer's field, you knew this was never going to be enough for a football stadium. But to the surprise of many, the Brighton university land-grab has made it plenty big enough.

As you enter Village Way, the West stand roof presents a magnificently wide, gracefully curving blue slope that sweeps down invitingly towards you, before disappearing out of sight beneath the fence. That sexy, blue slope can so easily fool the eye: you wouldn't be surprised to see a knot of speed-skiers suddenly appearing up over the curve before racing on downwards. Then, there's another, very different impression: the whole stadium structure, with its soaring and dipping arch steelwork and roof-edge railings suddenly begins to look a giant, totally fantastic and futuristic rollercoaster.

It's a ride anyone would want to take.

Enough already. Get over and see it for yourselves.

West Stand Sky.JPGView from the Bridge.JPGWestern Arch Nov 2010.JPGCherry Pickers.JPGWest Stand from Village Way.JPG

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Good pics - will be making a trip out there when I go back this christmas. Cant wait

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You liked it then?

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Gonna be going to see it for myself this weekend. Back for ten days and both the FCUM and Colchester games. Can't wait.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It's sunk the equivilent to four floors down and that's a massive hill along the south west corner.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Is the stadium sunk into the ground, cause that man in the visy jacket in the last pic looks not much shorter than the stadium roof.

Subsiding, innit........

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
that second pic is amazing!

and its my new desktop background :p

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's sunk the equivilent to four floors down and that's a massive hill along the south west corner.

See i'm thinking they should turn the whole of the roof into a terrace accessible from the bit where it is at the same level as the road.

Can't wait to get back and watch a game in it.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Can't get enough of the pictures. Last time I saw the Amex was from a vehicle back in May so things have
really changed since then. I made a couple of visits in November/December 2009 and was 'blown away' then by the sheer scale of the project, so what it must be like now to stand where I stood 12 months ago I can't begin to imagine.

To all those who post pictures on NSC and Countdown to Falmer etc. keep them coming. It's a real godsend to those who don't live in the area.

Cheers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here