Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex travel voucher

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Will a bus saver ticket still be £3.70 when The AMEX opens, surely it will be higher

To stop the bus drivers running out of change I can see B&H buses raising the saver fare to £4 at the beginning of August citing fuel price increases as the reason.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Presumably this means that folk travelling by train from Haywards Heath to Falmer and back will pay the following:-

Off Peak Day Return £5.40 - £2.40 to pay with an Albion voucher (net cost after paying for the voucher - £3.40)
])

I was charged £6 for my day return Haywards Heath to Falmer when I went. Are there different rates for different companies? 3 or 4 of us all adults will be travelling this route would it pay me or somebody to get a travel card? Would it be best if I got it being a pensioner or does it mnake no difference? Wow all these questions.

I was charged £6 for my day return Haywards Heath to Falmer when I went. Are there different rates for different companies? 3 or 4 of us all adults will be travelling this route would it pay me or somebody to get a travel card? Would it be best if I got it being a pensioner or does it mnake no difference? Wow all these questions.

It's £6 if you buy the ticket at the station. Only £5.40 if you buy it from Southern online - and collect it at the station (a 10% discount). And yes, off-peak travel is cheaper (one-third off) if you have a railcard. Get yourself a Senior Railcard, BG. It costs £26 a year, but it's worth it if you make £78 worth of rail journeys a year. A couple of away games, for example.

Buy Senior Railcard - Senior Railcard

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's £6 if you buy the ticket at the station. Only £5.40 if you buy it from Southern online - and collect it at the station (a 10% discount). And yes, off-peak travel is cheaper (one-third off) if you have a railcard. Get yourself a Senior Railcard, BG. It costs £26 a year, but it's worth it if you make £78 worth of rail journeys a year. A couple of away games, for example.

Buy Senior Railcard - Senior Railcard

Is that a better deal than a family and friends card because we would get a discount for all 4 of us on one of these I thought.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So which is the best deal for a minimum 4 adults and no children, one of whom is a pensioner. The OAP card is not a lot of good to me as I invariably travel on the train with adults who would have to pay full fare or we drive to away games, purley cos its cheaper.

So the vouchers work as they do currently and the op is bs'ing? Who to
Believe, maybe one for ask the club?
The new vouchers have ALWAYS been described by the Club as offering a "discount" on travel costs. The current travel vouchers offer free travel. There's a difference. Maybe Ken Brown hasn't understood that there are a lot of public transport fares within the zone that are more than £3 return.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
How can you use the vouchers if you want to book a rail ticket online in advance (to get a discount fare) or from a ticket machine at the station, or to buy saver tickets online for Brighton buses (to save money)?

Getting people away from the AMEX after a match will be hard enough without all the fans boarding a bus proving they have a valid ticket or paying cash to the driver. That will take ages to fill a bus.

Better to use the system we have now so you can just pile onto the buses or trains without the travel company having to check everyone has a ticket. I think the current system works fine so why change it?

How can you use the vouchers if you want to book a rail ticket online in advance (to get a discount fare) or from a ticket machine at the station, or to buy saver tickets online for Brighton buses (to save money)?
These are VERY good questions that need an answer.

MOST stations inside the travel zone are unstaffed at times when journeys to football are being made. The ONLY way to buy a train ticket is from a ticket machine or online.

The saving that B&H Buses offer for online ticket purchases is not to be sniffed at, either. £3 for a whole network Saver ticket (on-line) would mean free travel to Albion voucher holders - IF there was a mechanism to use the voucher to buy on-line Savers. I can't see how that could be achieved, though.

MOST stations inside the travel zone are unstaffed at times when journeys to football are being made. The ONLY way to buy a train ticket is from a ticket machine or online.

That was a slightly rash claim to make. Apart from Falmer, there are 19 stations in the travel zone. Only 10 of them have staffed ticket offices that are open at times that people will be travelling to games at Falmer - Shoreham, Portslade, Hove, Haywards Heath, Burgess Hill, Hassocks, Preston Park, Brighton, Seaford and Lewes.

4 of the unstaffed stations have ticket machines - Southwick, London Road, Moulsecoomb and Newhaven Town. The question is:- how can you use a voucher to buy a ticket from the machine?

5 of the unstaffed stations have NO ticket machine either - Fishersgate, Aldrington, Southease, Newhaven Harbour and Bishopstone. Same question:- How can the vouchers be used?

And the same question applies to anyone travelling from an unstaffed station outside the travel zone (eg Berwick, Glynde, Hampden Park on Saturdays, East Worthing, etc)

PLEASE tell me that the answer isn't "Queue up when you get to Falmer".

Information is from the Southern website.

So which is the best deal for a minimum 4 adults and no children, one of whom is a pensioner. The OAP card is not a lot of good to me as I invariably travel on the train with adults who would have to pay full fare or we drive to away games, purley cos its cheaper.
For 3 adults + 1 senior, the best rail deal that is on offer is the on-line purchase of off-peak day returns, with the Senior using a Railcard - £19.75 in total from Haywards Heath. Assuming the Albion voucher gives a discount of £3 a head and costs £1 a head to obtain, that's a total cost of £11.75 for the four people to travel.

The Transport Direct website estimates the fuel costs of a car journey from Haywards Heath Station to Falmer Station and back as £6. Add in the running costs of the car and the total costs are £22. On top of this, you'll have to add any parking costs (or the Park & Ride charges that the Albion will levy - which look like they will be £1 a head). Use Mill Road P&R and the fuel costs + P&R charges for four people would be £8. Full costs would be £20. This, of course, ignores the costs of getting to central Haywards Heath to start the journey.

Route Planner, Online Journey Planner Travel News | Transport Direct

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
For 3 adults + 1 senior, the best rail deal that is on offer is the on-line purchase of off-peak day returns, with the Senior using a Railcard - £19.75 in total from Haywards Heath. Assuming the Albion voucher gives a discount of £3 a head and costs £1 a head to obtain, that's a total cost of £11.75 for the four people to travel.

The Transport Direct website estimates the fuel costs of a car journey from Haywards Heath Station to Falmer Station and back as £6. Add in the running costs of the car and the total costs are £22. On top of this, you'll have to add any parking costs (or the Park & Ride charges that the Albion will levy - which look like they will be £1 a head). Use Mill Road P&R and the fuel costs + P&R charges for four people would be £8. Full costs would be £20. This, of course, ignores the costs of getting to central Haywards Heath to start the journey.

Route Planner, Online Journey Planner Travel News | Transport Direct

All very interesting but Ken Brown has stated 'the vouchers will operate exactly as they currently do' I'm sure he is not imparting duff information, or is his reply being interpreted as a play on words?

Mar 10, 2006
At the presentation we went to it came across that there are going to be loads of coaches from all over sussex picking you up and taking you right to the coach park next to the ground. Don't know what the cost will be but surely going to be a popular way to travel for many

All very interesting but Ken Brown has stated 'the vouchers will operate exactly as they currently do' I'm sure he is not imparting duff information, or is his reply being interpreted as a play on words?

Ken Brown's answer isn't consistent with what has been said at the presentations. Ned (who started this thread) said that he had been given information that made it clear that, on top of the cost of the voucher, he would have to pay some cash on the day for his train journey from Newhaven. At the moment, he pays nothing on the day.

The Club need to publish the details of how the vouchers will work. And the details need to include answers to some of the questions raised in this thread.

This includes an answer to my question - how is Ned going to pay cash on the day to top up the value of his voucher, when the ticket office at Newhaven Town station is closed and the Quick Fare ticket machine doesn't accept Albion vouchers as part payment for fares?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here