Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex or Falmer?

Amex v Falmer

• Total voters

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Amex.

As Frank said, the word "Falmer" just carries too many connotations of nimbys, delays, lies, frustration, anger. We should already have been playing there for the last 2-3 years at least, if it wasn't for those SHYSTERS.

Nope, The Amex is cool, snappy and modern-sounding. I've been calling it the Amex pretty much since the sponsorship was announced.

Falmer reminds me of a struggle but, ultimately, of glorious victory. Nothing negative in it for me, we overcame all the hurdles!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Definitely Amex. Naming it after the place it's located in just sounds weird now. Nobody called the Goldstone "Hove".

True, but then it was called 'The Goldstone Ground' in the first place. I presume that you would've continued to call it that if things had been very different & it had gained a major sponsor?

Dec 24, 2010
True, but then it was called 'The Goldstone Ground' in the first place. I presume that you would've continued to call it that if things had been very different & it had gained a major sponsor?

I don't think so, no. I'd just call it by it's correct name, whatever that may be at the time.

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
There's a massive gold coloured stone (sandstone I believe) in Hove Park which has the rumour it was carried there by Satan when carving out Devil's Dyke. The ground was named after that stone.
Object Details | Public Sculptures of Sussex Database

I wet with Amex, it sounds snappier than Falmer, and again, almost nobody ever calls the stadium by the place it's located in )notable exceptions made for Highbury and Anfield I suppose!)

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Falmer" is just such an insipid, dull, meaningless name of a nondescript little village by a dual carriageway.

I can't understand why anyone would want to refer to our gleaming new stadium as "Falmer".

Dec 24, 2010
There's a massive gold coloured stone (sandstone I believe) in Hove Park which has the rumour it was carried there by Satan when carving out Devil's Dyke. The ground was named after that stone.
Object Details | Public Sculptures of Sussex Database

I wet with Amex, it sounds snappier than Falmer, and again, almost nobody ever calls the stadium by the place it's located in )notable exceptions made for Highbury and Anfield I suppose!)

Boleyn Ground/Upton Park?

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I can't understand why anyone would want to refer to our gleaming new stadium as "Falmer".

I think you probably could if you gave it some thought.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Falmex - The Theatre of Flair.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Where is the voting option of "Either / Both"?

I find that I'm using both Falmer and Amex and it just depends on what pops into my head first. Using Falmer slightly more at the moment, so I've voted for that.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Falmer for me, but if one single person refers to it as "the falmer" in the same way as "the withdean" I fear I may spend some time in the cells at the custody suite just up the road :laugh:

May well change to the Amex over time but for me and our house for now it is falmer :thumbsup:

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
"Falmer" is just such an insipid, dull, meaningless name of a nondescript little village by a dual carriageway.

Personally, its because whenever I hear the sound Amex, I think of toffs paying for their gym memberships. Its a good sponsor for the club by all means, but the stadium will always be Falmer to me.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Falmer for me. Though understand why officially is Amex and gratefull for the sponsorship on tele/radio etc, just with mates and down pub is always Falmer sofar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here