Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex Light Pollution.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well this has just hit BBC Radio 2 on the Vine Show. Personally I'm not sure it's really that much of a problem.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
In 2016 the South Downs became the worlds newest International Dark Sky Reserve. I understand that some fans aren’t bothered or don’t care about such things, but many of us do. We are proud of the place we live and the beauty and inspiration it has to offer and most importantly the night sky is free! All a child or adult has to do is look up and take it in, the communities that will be most effected by this are the surrounding ones.

I’m also sure this isn’t an Albion problem alone, but maybe given the situation of the club not just geographically but in terms of the community maybe the could take the lead, where others could follow.

https://www.southdowns.gov.uk/enjoy/dark-night-skies/

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
significantly there is no mention of any investigation regards limiting the impact the lights are having, (such as covers).

This. Even if the Albion don't seem to be acting in the wider community's best interests in this instance, you'd think it'd be in their own self-interest to have more of the lamp power reflect back on to the pitch rather than be lost into the sky. As somebody further up the thread suggested, why not get the boffins across the road on the case?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I didn't vote for either petition but I do like the lack of perspective the person who wrote "let's not some self entitled idiots ruin this" while talking about environmental damage caused by a sport

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In 2016 the South Downs became the worlds newest International Dark Sky Reserve. I understand that some fans aren’t bothered or don’t care about such things, but many of us do. We are proud of the place we live and the beauty and inspiration it has to offer and most importantly the night sky is free! All a child or adult has to do is look up and take it in, the communities that will be most effected by this are the surrounding ones.

I’m also sure this isn’t an Albion problem alone, but maybe given the situation of the club not just geographically but in terms of the community maybe the could take the lead, where others could follow.

https://www.southdowns.gov.uk/enjoy/dark-night-skies/

Is Brighton a good place to look up and take it all in?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is Brighton a good place to look up and take it all in?

Seems to me to be pretty decent on a clear sky night actually, well at least in Preston Park it is. Pretty sure that from the top of Ditchling Beacon it'd be amazing.

Tho on a low cloud night all bets are off, obviously. Still no need to needlessly piss off the populace with an excess of ORANGE LAMP UPWARD GLARE tho eh?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Seeing as I still have a property 13 miles from the Amex, have friends and family in the area, and drive past the Amex Stadium regularly, I think it is my business actually. What right have you to dictate whether or not someone has the right to comment on something?

So you're a multi property owner with another gaff that you also can't see the Amex from with a telescope :shrug:
And you drive past the stadium on a well lit A road chugging out petrol fumes and trying not to notice the two universities lit up like ****ing Roman Candles?

My views on this have absolutely nothing to do with being a palace fan, it’s not my only defining attribute in life.

My advice, then, is never move to Norway. You'll spend the whole summer tutting.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
I am pretty sure that the lights used for the pitch are down-lights. The light seen from out side the stadium is actually reflected light! Pretty much most objects reflect light including football pitches! That's why we have flood lights to if light didn't reflect of the players, pitch etc you wouldn't see anything! So unless the ground was enclosed and had a solid roof you will always get some reflected light!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Seeing as I still have a property 13 miles from the Amex, have friends and family in the area, and drive past the Amex Stadium regularly, I think it is my business actually. What right have you to dictate whether or not someone has the right to comment on something?

My views on this have absolutely nothing to do with being a palace fan, it’s not my only defining attribute in life.

Wouldn't call supporting palace an "attribute".

This isn't a palace related thread so you have no opinion, particularly as you and your fellow palace are signing up to the petition just to try to discredit our club. Go and pollute your own forums with your mindless crap.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Save the planet , signed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They shouldn't be polluting the sky in such a manner. The stadium is in a dark sky designated area and as such should respect that. I'm not signing any petition but don't let the love of the club blind you to our responsibilities.
The club's response has made them look rather uncaring especially to those who don't know the club. This is not a good look.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was going to drive to Falmer tonight in order to see this:-

[tweet]1222211892984320000[/tweet]

I guess I'll just have to miss it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here