Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex expansion.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Bit off topic, but do you know if there’s any chance of the hotel development happening or is that a complete non starter?

Also off topic, can someone enlighten me as why the Bennetts field car park does not get used anymore? Could we not agree a deal of use with its owner or did I read somewhere that they have other plans for it? Some student accommodation maybe?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Also off topic, can someone enlighten me as why the Bennetts field car park does not get used anymore? Could we not agree a deal of use with its owner or did I read somewhere that they have other plans for it? Some student accommodation maybe?

The land owner wants to sell the field for development (not clear what) and couldn’t come to a further agreement with Albion as a car park to the clubs frustration.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Paul Barber was non committal about this in the recent forum - merely saying they were delayed due to Covid and the associated costs that came with that / no fans in the ground. They do have planning permission. My guess would be this summer. especially as Heineken recently announced they were going to be the partners to the new "fan zone bar".
Another clue is perhaps they are looking to develop this in time for the Womens Euros games in July but i guess thats a tight schedule for the zone to be built between end of season and the tournament kick off. https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...agree-new-partnership-extension-with-heineken

As if we didn’t have enough shite beer in the ground already :lolol:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The land owner wants to sell the field for development (not clear what) and couldn’t come to a further agreement with Albion as a car park to the clubs frustration.

Lancing Parish Council minutes said Matthew Bennett wanted to build 200 student flats on the site with parking underneath it. Doesn't seem to have put in a planning application for it yet though.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Lancing Parish Council minutes said Matthew Bennett wanted to build 200 student flats on the site with parking underneath it. Doesn't seem to have put in a planning application for it yet though.

If he's yet to put in a planning application and so any potential project is a long way from starting it seems bizarre that an agreement with the club couldnt be reached. Surely we're the only contenders to rent it so it would be odd if he's asking for way to much money and pricing us out.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
If he's yet to put in a planning application and so any potential project is a long way from starting it seems bizarre that an agreement with the club couldnt be reached. Surely we're the only contenders to rent it so it would be odd if he's asking for way to much money and pricing us out.

There was a lot of discussion about it on here at start of the season when the news came out about Bennett's field not being available. Without any facts, which none of us seem to have, it is hard to know what is going on. But do agree Mr Bennett seems to have denied himself a season's worth of parking money from the club for nothing which is odd.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Would assume Bloom has already made him an offer and my guess is owner is applying for planning hoping to increase value of site. Gamble by both sides

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
if our hotel planning application is anything to go by - then Mr Bennett needs a design with a curved roof to match stadium

what always seemed odd to me was this land was essential part of "travel plan" that our original Amex planning was dependant upon, now this seems to be irrelevant and Mr Bennett can in theory do what he likes with the land, key phrase though being "subject to planning"

can't think of who might send 10,000 letters objecting to any planning application on pedantic or even quite sensible grounds

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Falmer Parish Council minutes said Matthew Bennett wanted to build 200 student flats on the site with parking underneath it. Doesn't seem to have put in a planning application for it yet though.

That may well be the case, but Falmer Parish Council aren't the planning authority. Lewes District Council are (this one doesn't even fall into the South Down National Park for their approval).

You're right about him not having put in a planning application yet though. His prerogative, mind.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
That may well be the case, but Falmer Parish Council aren't the planning authority. Lewes District Council are (this one doesn't even fall into the South Down National Park for their approval).

You're right about him not having put in a planning application yet though. His prerogative, mind.

Only reason I mentioned Falmer PC was to show the source of the information :thumbsup:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
No North Shelf according to PB in the program notes for tonight’s game

“we will be turning our attention back to our plans to further improve matchday facilities for fans at the Amex.

Contrary to social media speculation, these plans do not include a second tier of seating in the North Stand – as nice as this would be, it isn’t physically possible! And neither do our plans include a new hospitality lounge above the current North Stand seating.”

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
And slightly more detail about the outside "fan zone" -"Our focus will be on creating better facilities for all fans in the stadium’s external areas to include a more varied food and drink offering, covered space, facilities for both pre-match and post-match entertainment, and external toilets – all designed to encourage earlier arrival at the stadium and later departures which, in turn, should help smooth congestion before and after matches."
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2535381/read-paul-barbers-spurs-programme-notes

Also its not clear but i think he's hinting that this work won't be done this summer due to the Euros instead of my speculation that the work will be done in time for the Euros ! "over next 18 months" is the only timetable given.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
And slightly more detail about the outside "fan zone" -"Our focus will be on creating better facilities for all fans in the stadium’s external areas to include a more varied food and drink offering, covered space, facilities for both pre-match and post-match entertainment, and external toilets – all designed to encourage earlier arrival at the stadium and later departures which, in turn, should help smooth congestion before and after matches."
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2535381/read-paul-barbers-spurs-programme-notes

Also its not clear but i think he's hinting that this work won't be done this summer due to the Euros instead of my speculation that the work will be done in time for the Euros ! "over next 18 months" is the only timetable given.

I am unclear on the “social media reports” pretty sure plans for a shelf and new bar were posted on here, but assume it was considered (why put the plans in) but decided to not proceed

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Good news that they aren't putting in a new lounge in the North Stand - i can't be arsed to trawl back through this whole thread but I'm pretty sure that info was from a planning application submitted to the council, so v pleasing it's been binned.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here