Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

amex bigger than withdean but still small ???

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Reading are averaging 16k per game 14 years after the Madjeski Stadium opened.

Previously they had played to just 4k crowds at Elm Park.

If we can emulate them, as a similar sized home counties sized city, I will be very happy.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
If we were in the Prem we'd sell out 30-35k every single week EASILY!

No chance every week imo. Maybe against Manure, Liverpool, Arsenal etc. but not in mid winter against the likes of Wigan, Fulham, Bolton, Blackpool etc.

I would say late 20s on average, full house of 30k (ES upper and corners filled in as planned) for big games, 26-28 for most other games and 23-25 against smaller clubs in mid-winter relegation battles.

I'd like what you say to be true but I don't think it would happen against many teams, but you never know!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
No chance every week imo. Maybe against Manure, Liverpool, Arsenal etc. but not in mid winter against the likes of Wigan, Fulham, Bolton, Blackpool etc.

I would say late 20s on average, full house of 30k (ES upper and corners filled in as planned) for big games, 26-28 for most other games and 23-25 against smaller clubs in mid-winter relegation battles.

I'd like what you say to be true but I don't think it would happen against many teams, but you never know!
Yes it will:albion2:
Fact is we,ve been tin pot for many many years and next season we would,ve averaged at least 20k even in league 1.Not to mention the huge pulling power we have if required.After being a dead club for 20 years getting 20k+ crowds in our first season is bloody unreal and shows our potential for growth.Many clubs like reading etc had 9k in there first season at new stadiums.:albion1:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
If we go on the basis that the London Prem clubs have lots of 'plastic' fans, rather than 35 - 60 000 (Spurs, Chelsea, and Arsenal) diehard fans, it could work in our favour, as if we get in the Prem, new fans will want to watch locally, ie at The Amex...

Times have changed and this is how it seems to be

I understand the attitude of the 'I went to Gillingham every game...' types who look down on the JCL's, but it's about increasing attendances, not inventing some criteria to prove loyalty...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
For 'big' games in the Premiership I would have thought you could tack on 4-5k 'official' away fans plus hundreds or even thousands who will buy seats in the home stands on top as well as Sussex plastic Premiership fans.

A bigger stadium shows ambition/potential and I would settle for empty seats in a bigger capacity stadium rather than a smaller, packed stadium, but as said above, run before can walk and all that.

Mickey Pearce's Hat

Apr 14, 2011
Living in Brighton the one thing I have been impressed with since moving here was the number of Albion top/car stckers etc I saw around. Even in places like Burgess Hill & Haywards Heath.

However, when I talked to some of these people and mentioned it and said I wondered why Brighton still only got 5-6,000 odd, despite seeming like a city that loved their team, they said they didn't go often, if at all. Then I went to my first game at the Withdean and saw why this was the case. It was a miricle that anybody turned up at all.

Therefore, a lot of these JCLs might just be lasped fans from the Goldstone days, where I always remember Albion getting crowds of 8,000 to 16,000 depending (early 90s).

Plus, the huge amount of kids looking at going now. In the school I taught at (in Hove) there was nearly as many exiled Millwall fans as there were pupils that claimed to support Brighton. Most were Liverpool etc. This of course due to Brighton's awful last 15 years...I tried educating them & saying that Albion did used to be a 'proper' club.

Anyways, I agree with most...build it up slowly. Small steps. Brighton could get big gates at the Goldstone, but the Brighton public used to be famously fickle too, in the last season at second tier level at the Goldstone gates struggled to get over 8,000 most games. Indeed, I remember beating Albion 4-3 that season at the Goldstone, where Millwall made up nearly 1/4 of the 7,500 crowd.

I don't think you'll drop to that ever again, football has changed a lot. But, as others have said, having 13-15,000 in a 30,000 is depressing. And if Brighton plataue in midtable for a few seasns gates might settle down to that level. I went to Middlesbrough this season & the gate was 15,000 in a 35,000 all seater...it was awful. Millwall are a small club, yet, 15,000 at The Den is rocking, it's packed, as we only have 15,000 home seats. I'd much prefer that.

However, I think Brighton are gonna take off. I really do. The amount of season tickets you've sold is amazing. And I don't care what Palace fans says (ie it's only because it's your first season at AmEx)...because I remember when Millwall moved grounds, our gates went down, there's still people who have never stepped foot in the new place out of principal...so, it shows that Brighton do have huge potential.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
We do have a sort of advantage over Millwall and some other clubs in that they moved from old but much loved grounds into their new homes. Us footie fans love tradition and many tolerated awful conditions because it was 'home' and the new stadiums were souless.

Sadly, our Goldstone was taken from us many years ago. The fight to get a new home has been long and hard. We all LOVE the Amex and are dying to get there. it's already OURS and there'll be non of the resentment to our new home that some other club's fans may have had.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Falmer Better

An interesting thread and I very much agree that it is better to have a stadium slightly smaller than some regularly full than a large (White Elephant) stadium half full.

Given the quoted budget of £93m, The Albion board could realistically have gone for a larger stadium ( if of course they had been able to find a site) however by opting for Falmer they have created a stadium which will be creating additional revenue all the way along. There are no drinking holes nearby and the decision to create bars and indeed restaurants/eateries in all the concourses will ensure that the club maximises income from day 1. Additionally the Amex is being marketed enthusiastically for functions and the employment of a top chef (already) indicates the club recognise the huge potential.

Like many and depending upon the Football League schedule, I cannot wait to take my seat in Upper West on 6th August ?

Best

Al

Last edited:

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing
In the 43 years I`ve been watching the Albion we have only averaged over 20 thousand 4 times I think. Might even only be 3 times.
What does that prove ?................. nothing.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
The Albion's support will grow and grow if we have a winning team and the price is right to attract a younger support.If we have success but follow the trend of the London teams and jack-up the prices we could be in trouble.You've only got to look at Arsenal and Chelsea,a fortune to watch them and their supporters can't see that only one team can win the title. In the end only Mr. Bloom will decide.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Attendances around 30,000 would put us around the top 10 best supported clubs in the country, it's not capacity that you need to look at its attendance, so many half empty grounds.

I think some people on here wanting us to have a 70,000 ground are loving on cloud cuckoo land.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Attendances around 30,000 would put us around the top 10 best supported clubs in the country, it's not capacity that you need to look at its attendance, so many half empty grounds.

I think some people on here wanting us to have a 70,000 ground are loving on cloud cuckoo land.
This. If we can average attendances the same as this season for the next few seasons we'd be doing pretty good.

Feb 14, 2010
We do have a sort of advantage over Millwall and some other clubs in that they moved from old but much loved grounds into their new homes. Us footie fans love tradition and many tolerated awful conditions because it was 'home' and the new stadiums were souless.

Sadly, our Goldstone was taken from us many years ago. The fight to get a new home has been long and hard. We all LOVE the Amex and are dying to get there. it's already OURS and there'll be non of the resentment to our new home that some other club's fans may have had.

This is exactly right and good on Mickey Pearce's Hat as well. Millwall love being a "small club" but actually Millwall have a big London support as people living in London will tell you. They had over 50,000 at the zenith final a few years ago and had over 40,000 down the Den as well as big crowds on the Island when they were formed. Millwall fans tho like being a small to medium size club tho' and they would hate to be like Arsenal or even West Ham. Brighton are a bit different because of geography that makes them a regional club and it will it seems after all these years the Albion will fulfil its potential.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here