Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex - Bar opening times

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This is not a rant Mr Naylor!

I am just hoping someone can enlighten me upon alcohol restrictions at our new home.

Last night I left my seat in WSU about one minute before half time to get a beer. By the time I reached the bar the whistle had blown and queues were already forming. It was then I noticed a few signs printed off of a PC and blu-tacked to the pillars around the bar with roughly the following wording,

'Due to local licensing restrictions the bar will open at the following times'

These times were pre match (I did not notice exact times) 20.20 till 20.45 (half time) and post match until 22.00.

As the queues were 6 or 7 people deep I thought fifteen minutes should be enough time to get my pint. But at 3 or 4 minutes before play resumed the bar staff decided that it was time to stop serving alcohol. I politely tried to point this out but did not expect to get anywhere, and so it was to be, no beer.

My question is, since when did these restrictions come into place? I realise that you cannot drink alcohol whilst watching the game, that is why the blinds come down on the hospitality boxes etc, but if the bar can be open before half time then surely it can be open after half time.

Is the club just making their own rules up? After all, it is the clubs property so they are entitled to, or have some new laws come into play?

I have not seen these signs before, have other people seen them at earlier games? What I really hope for is some clarity, so if these restrictions continue I will just leave my seat even earlier to get a jar.

???

One4the.road

Jan 10, 2011
Well the spurs game I went for a pee at the half hour mark and it was packed in the west lower with drinkers and people still buying so maybe the rule came in late . Dont get me wrong there was no problems etc I thought it was a good thing .

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
This is not a rant Mr Naylor!

I am just hoping someone can enlighten me upon alcohol restrictions at our new home.

Last night I left my seat in WSU about one minute before half time to get a beer. By the time I reached the bar the whistle had blown and queues were already forming. It was then I noticed a few signs printed off of a PC and blu-tacked to the pillars around the bar with roughly the following wording,

'Due to local licensing restrictions the bar will open at the following times'

These times were pre match (I did not notice exact times) 20.20 till 20.45 (half time) and post match until 22.00.

As the queues were 6 or 7 people deep I thought fifteen minutes should be enough time to get my pint. But at 3 or 4 minutes before play resumed the bar staff decided that it was time to stop serving alcohol. I politely tried to point this out but did not expect to get anywhere, and so it was to be, no beer.

My question is, since when did these restrictions come into place? I realise that you cannot drink alcohol whilst watching the game, that is why the blinds come down on the hospitality boxes etc, but if the bar can be open before half time then surely it can be open after half time.

Is the club just making their own rules up? After all, it is the clubs property so they are entitled to, or have some new laws come into play?

I have not seen these signs before, have other people seen them at earlier games? What I really hope for is some clarity, so if these restrictions continue I will just leave my seat even earlier to get a jar.

???

Noticed WSU queues are very slow moving, as many groups of mates send one person down at 5 minutes to H/T, and then the rest push in with him during H/T. Leaving those at the back going nowhere fast.

Stewards seemed oblivious in the crowded mayhem.

Withdean, surprisingly, seemed more civil in that respect.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Noticed WSU queues are very slow moving, as many groups of mates send one person down at 5 minutes to H/T, and then the rest push in with him during H/T. Leaving those at the back going nowhere fast.

The beer ques have got much better i think. To me the toilet seems the most chaotic. Both exits used for in and outs and genuine chaos inside. Not to fussed but last night I was busting and close to having to sink it

Well we do this, but it's not a case of pushing in it's a case of helping him carry the Pints/Pies back from the bar.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Attila is having an ongoing dialogue with the club about post-evening match drinks. Apparently, the club is reluctant to have (bar) staff stay on late beyond 10.00-10.30pm, especially if there are so many after the match. I believe that after a given hour, an employer is obliged to offer safe carriage home to its employees - though not sure if that is EXACTLY the issue.

Anyhoo, Attila is trying to organise something with someone who works at the ground (not sure on what capacity) for staff to be taken home if working late at night, in order for the bars - or Dick's Bar at least - to stay open until 11pm.

I guess it's a case of 'watch this space'.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
From other threads it seems it has become normal practice at The Amex to close the bars as soon as play resumes after half time. If you are unlucky then even earlier!

Could the staff not just serve those already queueing and then progressively close the bars down to dissuade those who come back for yet another?

Sent from my inbred hatred of all things South London .....HD

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
I was in the NS last night and Harveys was NO problemo pus burgers and hot dawgs - the only queue was for the khaszis but that can be expected anywhere............

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was in the NS last night and Harveys was NO problemo pus burgers and hot dawgs - the only queue was for the khaszis but that can be expected anywhere............

Pus burgers
? I`ll stick with the pies I think.

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
Surely organising travel home for the bar staff shouldn't be a problem? The extra revenue would easily outweigh the costs, and it would mean people could hang about until the queues in the car park die down a little too. An organisation as big as the Albion needs to look at the bigger picture.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Talking to one of the waiters the other day and he said they had a Red Cross function last Friday and because it ended after midnight Azure had to pay for taxis home for them all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here