Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American Visa

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Sorry if this is obvious but I don't understand it! Never having been to America before I'm not sure what I need here.

Coming back from Peru after 5 weeks travelling at the end of August we have a change in Miami. What do I need to do and when? In Miami for only 4 hours but wouldn't mind getting out of the airport for a bit.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I think that rather than the visa waver form that you used to fill in on the plane you now have to apply for an ESTA. It's basically the same thing but done in advance online.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
You won't need a visa for transit, but you would if you were to leave the airport.
You need an ESTA form, which is basically a security form more then anything, which you have to get in advance and is a 5 minute online application with usually instant response. We have a Visa waiver agreement with the states otherwise.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
there are some scam websites out there that will try to charge you. you want the .gov one which should show up near the top on a search sorry cant remember the site.

piece of piss dont worry about it takes 2 mins.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Done it via ESTA website, thanks! Couldn't be easier really, as I understand it, if we want to leave the airport we apply when we land now we have the visa waiver?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Done it via ESTA website, thanks! Couldn't be easier really, as I understand it, if we want to leave the airport we apply when we land now we have the visa waiver?

Not sure on this. If you go through immigration, you usually have to give an address where you will be staying for the first night.

I don't think transit passengers get the option to go through immigration channels. Still at least you are armed with your ESTA if the opportunity arises.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Not sure on this. If you go through immigration, you usually have to give an address where you will be staying for the first night.

I don't think transit passengers get the option to go through immigration channels. Still at least you are armed with your ESTA if the opportunity arises.

Thats great, thanks to everyone:thumbsup:

No great deal if we dont manage to get out of the airport, would probably only get an hour anyway.

For all NSC's faults you can normally find anything out in 5 minutes without spending hours reading websites you dont understand!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It is a very simple process as I did ours for a family of 4 at the weekend

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Does anybody know if you do get approval or if it just files itself away on the US immigration computers. I did ours a few months ago and the approval came almost instantly it doesnt seem long enough for a computer to verify you are safe to enter US

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Does anybody know if you do get approval or if it just files itself away on the US immigration computers. I did ours a few months ago and the approval came almost instantly it doesnt seem long enough for a computer to verify you are safe to enter US

Ours did the same and also advised did not need to have the paperwork but I have printed off just in case

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
it doesnt seem long enough for a computer to verify you are safe to enter US

It doesn't, it just means you are safe to travel, it still comes down to the border/customs and immigration officials to give you permission to enter.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Ours did the same and also advised did not need to have the paperwork but I have printed off just in case

Yeah I printed ours off as well, I just can't believe it actually authorises you to enter the US but is more an early warning of everybody who will be doing so.

Still if is saves 10 minutes going though immigration

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Unfortunately US Immigration is not much better than ours and although the ETSA is coming in to replace the old paper based visa forms you currently need to complete both the ESTA and the paper Visa (and customs Forms) as they have not replaced the old system yet. So you still need to complete the forms and go through the questioning from the Immigration Staff including photo and finger print. To be honest I would not be sure if they will let you through immigration and there is not a lot around Miami airport to see certainly in the limited time you have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here